Video: Is Tony Romo a Hall of Famer? Jesse Holley says

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No

Probably only one HOF from Romo era on Cowboys. Witten. Don't count TO since wasn’t drafted by us and only played a couple seasons. Ware maybe not.

Overall compared to championship eras not enough talent Or defenses to accomplish more. History will reflect more accurately than the emotions currently attached.

Ware is a sure fire HOFer. What are you talking about?

9th in Career sacks. 9 time Pro Bowler. 4 times All Pro. Absolutely a HOFer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he’s a hall of famer down the line. I’ve already said, if Fouts got in, Romo gets in. Romo retired as the 4th highest rated passer all time, 5th all time ypa, 5th in completion percentage.

A friend of mine has researched Romo’s career heavily and basically come to the conclusion that he is the best player to not win a super bowl and has a lot of criteria similar to other QBs in the Hall.

Quarterbacks from 1960-2018 that have the following:

- 200+ touchdown passes
- Passing titles (ex: led league in yards passing, completion pct etc)
- Ranked top 2 in stats multiple times in career
- Made All Pro Team (1st or 2nd Team)
- Ranked Top 5 All Time in Career Stats

Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Steve Young
John Elway
Dan Marino
Len Dawson
Warren Moon
Dan Fouts
Fran Tarkenton
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Ryan
Tony Romo

When looking at a player's career, I think this is a great way to measure statistical success. If you want to say "a Super Bowl appearance makes you great". Ok. Let's look at the qbs of that era that at least made it (besides the obvious Brady, Peyton etc):

Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler, Rec Grossman, Joe Flacco, Jeff Hostetler, Stan Humphries, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Nick Foles...REALLY???? Stop the nonsense! Yes there are really good ones like Rothlisberger, Eli, McNabb, Gannon, McNair etc but let's be real. Numbers don't lie. People do. Jim Plunkett has multiple rings. Fouts and Moon have never been to a Super Bowl.

Romo has led the league in passer rating, yards per attempt, completion percentage and game winning drives.

And has ZERO playoff success. All it takes is one trip to the NFC Championship and you rack up 1 or 2 playoff wins.

DFWJC

Reaction score
2014 was a lot of things. It ended up with a loss in the first round as usual but he was great in 2014. Never denied that.
His December QB rating from 2009-2014 was best in the entire league.
An insane 46 TDs vs only 9 ints and a massive QB rating
Before then? Not as good

kskboys

Reaction score
He's 7th all time in Touchdowns and Passing Yards. 7th in completion. That's better than any Cowboy. How is that not impressive?
Because when looking at possible HOF consideration, a player is compared to his peers.

Matt Ryan and Stafford should easily pass up Eli. You putting them in also?

Bottom line should be that Eli was not a great player, and the HOF is supposed to be for great players. Volume numbers is a stupid way to determine HOF.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think he’s a hall of famer down the line. I’ve already said, if Fouts got in, Romo gets in. Romo retired as the 4th highest rated passer all time, 5th all time ypa, 5th in completion percentage.

A friend of mine has researched Romo’s career heavily and basically come to the conclusion that he is the best player to not win a super bowl and has a lot of criteria similar to other QBs in the Hall.

Quarterbacks from 1960-2018 that have the following:

- 200+ touchdown passes
- Passing titles (ex: led league in yards passing, completion pct etc)
- Ranked top 2 in stats multiple times in career
- Made All Pro Team (1st or 2nd Team)
- Ranked Top 5 All Time in Career Stats

Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Steve Young
John Elway
Dan Marino
Len Dawson
Warren Moon
Dan Fouts
Fran Tarkenton
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Ryan
Tony Romo

When looking at a player's career, I think this is a great way to measure statistical success. If you want to say "a Super Bowl appearance makes you great". Ok. Let's look at the qbs of that era that at least made it (besides the obvious Brady, Peyton etc):

Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler, Rec Grossman, Joe Flacco, Jeff Hostetler, Stan Humphries, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Nick Foles...REALLY???? Stop the nonsense! Yes there are really good ones like Rothlisberger, Eli, McNabb, Gannon, McNair etc but let's be real. Numbers don't lie. People do. Jim Plunkett has multiple rings. Fouts and Moon have never been to a Super Bowl.

Romo has led the league in passer rating, yards per attempt, completion percentage and game winning drives.
Did you just compare stats over different era's? Seriously?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The problem with the Fouts comparison is you aren't considering where Fouts stood in history at the time he retired. He was #2 in all time passing yards, and #4 in all time TDs. That's why he was able to get in without a Super Bowl - because he was statistically so far up the list at the time. The same kind of situation applies with Moon.

Accordingly, you can't simply look at Romo's stats compared to Fouts because it doesn't account for where the players fit with their peers at the time.

And, after all, that's all HOF voters can go by. They don't have a crystal ball to know how far the passing game will advance over time, and compare the players in their time to those in the future. Of course, even if they could, they shouldn't because that would mean almost nobody in the past would be in, and maybe even many in who have got in more recently. Players should be voted on based on how things stood at the time.
Talk about a brain dead post from the resident troll. Why don’t you actually look at where Romo stood in history when he retired, the total picture and not just where you cherry picked?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Talk about a brain dead post from the resident troll. Why don’t you actually look at where Romo stood in history when he retired, the total picture and not just where you cherry picked?
Yeah...fwiw

In an all-time, era adjusted QB rating, Romo actually did come in ahead of Fouts.

He was 15th and Fouts was 19th.

All of the top 20 are already in or are locks to be in the HOF except for Anderson and Romo.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because when looking at possible HOF consideration, a player is compared to his peers.

Bottom line should be that Eli was not a great player, and the HOF is supposed to be for great players. Volume numbers is a stupid way to determine HOF.

Huh? You're missing my point. Matt Ryan and Stafford wouldn't get in just like Romo won't or shouldn't.

"Volume numbers" aren't the only way to determine your Hall status. History says if you have volume numbers and you have a ring you are going to the Hall of Fame.

I never insinuated it was just "volume numbers".

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let you tell it you are the only person on this site that's not a troll. :laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
Huh? You're missing my point. Matt Ryan and Stafford wouldn't get in just like Romo won't or shouldn't.

"Volume numbers" aren't the only way to determine your Hall status. History says if you have volume numbers and you have a ring you are going to the Hall of Fame.

I never insinuated it was just "volume numbers".
Sorry, thought we were talking about who is deserving.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sorry, thought we were talking about who is deserving.

Well I don't think Romo is deserving either. I do think Eli HAS to get in. I never liked his game. Never was a fan of him. But he was apart of the team that beat Brady twice in the Super Bowl. That means a lot.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Barring injury or abrupt retirement, Ryan will pass Eli easily.
Stafford still needs 16,000 yards, so it's not a given with his back issues.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol - actually YOU should have looked instead sticking your foot in your mouth by typing without having a clue and acting so haughty.

Romo never even caught up to Fouts, and finished somewhere around 30th in yards and 20th in TD passes. Hardly the same as 2nd and 4th.

Last edited:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
lol - actually YOU should have looked instead sticking your foot in your mouth by typing without having a clue and acting so haughty.

Romo never even caught up to Fouts, and finished somewhere around 30th in yards and 20th in TD passes. Hardly the same as 2nd and 4th.
Like I said, nice cherry picking troll. As if I needed you to quote me stats from the Internet. lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, nice cherry picking troll. As if I needed you to quote me stats from the Internet. lol
I'm sorry if you are too blind to understand this, but career stats like that are huge points for voters. Burying your head in the sand to that fact simply because you want to play this angry guy and show your obsessive dislike for me doesn't change that.

Unitas was the gold standard for QBs in those days, and the guy all other QBs were measured against, and that all other QBs were chasing. Chasing him was, for QBs, like chasing Walter Payton was for RBs. It was a huge thing that got a lot of attention when Fouts and Tarkenton passed him in yardage.

By the way, while you are saying I'm cherry picking, it's interesting you haven't offered anything other than irrational anger to counter what I've said.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo just doesn't have the volume.

The guy had his career clipped on both the front and back.

He wasn't nearly ready to start as a rookie, but by year 2 he should've started to see action
Darren Woodson said he was the best they had by year 2, and I believe him.
So he lost a couple of years there.

Then on the back end, his injuries had mounted...some of them really freak injuries.
It's too bad, because his game was really peaking late in his career.
Then pre-season 2016 happened, we got lucky with Dak, and he never really got a chance again.

Just didn't work out for the guy....in that regard.

He's doing just fine though.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I'm sorry if you are too blind to understand this, but career stats like that are huge points for voters.

Unitas was the gold standard for QBs in those days, and the guy all other QBs were measured against, and that all other QBs were chasing. It was a huge thing that got a lot of attention when Fouts and Tarkenton passed him in yardage.
No career stats aren’t huge points for voters. If that was the case then most of the QBs wouldn’t be in there. Just because you say something stupid doesn’t make it true. And Romo finished his career top 5 in NFL history in passer rating and completion percentage, which have a much higher correlation to who is in the HOF than TD passes and passing yards. Ignorant troll.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No career stats aren’t huge points for voters. If that was the case then most of the QBs wouldn’t be in there. Just because you say something stupid doesn’t make it true. And Romo finished his career top 5 in NFL history in passer rating and completion percentage, which have a much higher correlation to who is in the HOF than TD passes and passing yards. Ignorant troll.
That's idiotic. At the time, chasing Unitas was like a RB chasing Jim Brown, and later Walter Payton. What you are saying is like saying nobody cared about Hank Aaron's record being broken.

And this was especially true at that time because it was prior to the mountain of other tings
And, again, you haven't offered up any actual facts, just irrational anger. That doesn't qualify as an argument.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That's idiotic. At the time chasing Unitas was like chasing Jim Brown, and later Walter Payton was for RB's. For you to say that isn't important to voters is so ridiculous I can't help but laugh.

And, again, you haven't offered up any actual facts, just irrational anger. That doesn't qualify as an argument.
You haven’t offered any facts either, since I’m pretty sure they don’t let demented boomers vote for the Hall of Fame. You’re not a voter. You have no idea what they consider. When you can quote a voter saying they put Dan Fouts in because of all his passing yards, maybe I’ll take you seriously. You don’t know anything, you’re clueless.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmmm - so, Fouts finishing 2nd in yardage and 4th in TDs isn't a fact.

The word "fact" means something different than you apparently think it does.

By the way, it's also a fact Fouts is in the HOF - a first ballot HOFer - and without playoff success that leaves his stats as his primary qualification.

Also, if it wasn't career stats like yardage and TD's that got Fouts in, as you claim, then what was it? Again, no playoff success, and you act like he didn't measure up to Romo in other areas, so what was it? Do you have any actual substance to add, or just an "I'm angry and hate Omer" act to go by?

What I have is both facts and history, and if you still think I'm wrong, come back to me after the 2022 HOF vote, and lets see if the voters consider Romo with the same regard as they did Fouts in 1993.

Last edited: