News: Is Tony Romo worth two first round selections?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Finally, I agree with those who say Romo retires. He's at a point where he makes almost as much money for not playing as for playing. He has a wife who has to be tired of seeing him writhing on the ground with broken collar bone and back issues that are structural, not just muscular.

His competitive nature and desire to have one more good year to go out as starter
Versus
Leaving family and relocating to a new city for a very short time
Learning a new system, new teammates, new coaches
Going to an inferior OL when he couldn't stay healthy behind the best OL in football
Going to a team with an inferior running game and possibly receivers
Risking what has been seen again and again...taking that risk and not even winning the starting job or losing it after a rash of turnovers while adjusting to everything and everyone new, possibly even being injured or released.
Ending his career like Emmitt and other stars, accomplishing little in exchange for a brief time in the wrong uniform.

If Tony carefully weighs how this can turn out, I think he will realize the odds are against his dream comeback. I'll be shocked if he doesn't accept this and retire.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
  1. Romo has very low value on the trade market. Even without injuries, other teams have never valued him like Cowboys fans, and his age alone lowers his draft value. Then comes his fragility.
  2. Romo has ZERO chance of being a Cowboy next season...he's finished in Dallas...period.
  3. Even today, a team would give a first for Bradford before giving a first for Romo--age and durability are huge impacts on first rounder....not so much in middle rounds. Peyton Manning wouldn't command a first rounder in his last two years either.
  4. Showcasing Romo for a marginal future trade would be an all time stupid reason for messing with team chemistry and a rookie's preparation in this magical season. Dak is still a rookie; he's still learning every practice, every game, every play, and that's more important than any situation involving Tony Romo.

:clap:The best analysis of the Romo situation in this thread, particularly point No. 1
Do you hear what all the ex-players/commentators say about Romo? The league does not hold him in as high regard as Cowboys fans do. You can call them haters all you want, perception is reality.
Second, this notion that Jerry is trying to talk up Romo's trade value - as Michael Irvin suggests - is asinine, as if coaches and GMs don't already know Romo's status. :rolleyes:
No one is going to get hoodwinked by the Cowboys. Everyone knows who Romo is and what you'really getting you acquire him. If a GM gives two No.1 picks for Romo, Jerry should be immediately enshrined in the Hall of Fame - without a vote - as the best GM in the history of the game, and the GM who made such a trade should be run out of the league wearing tar and feathers.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Leverage is everything. As a player his value is much higher than speculation. But any interested parties have to weigh his cost against the chance that Dallas will release him before the season. Tough to gauge.

willia451

Reaction score
  1. Romo has very low value on the trade market. Even without injuries, other teams have never valued him like Cowboys fans, and his age alone lowers his draft value. Then comes his fragility.
  2. Romo has ZERO chance of being a Cowboy next season...he's finished in Dallas...period.
  3. Even today, a team would give a first for Bradford before giving a first for Romo--age and durability are huge impacts on first rounder....not so much in middle rounds. Peyton Manning wouldn't command a first rounder in his last two years either.
  4. Showcasing Romo for a marginal future trade would be an all time stupid reason for messing with team chemistry and a rookie's preparation in this magical season. Dak is still a rookie; he's still learning every practice, every game, every play, and that's more important than any situation involving Tony Romo.

Now look what you did. You just had to go all medieval on 'em. Fix it.

giphy.gif

Aven8

Reaction score
When is the last time a team gave up two No. 1s for a 37-year-old QB coming off two back surgeries?

I think many Cowboys fans overestimate Romo's worth.

Never said 2 #1's. I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised with a 2 to a desperate team. Bradford has been traded 3 times for crying out loud and isn't better than Romo at 36.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So much bad info as usual

Romo is due 14m next year but none of it is guaranteed....the new team would have his rights for 3 years and 54m........again, 0m is guaranteed......Romo would gladly trade some base salary in return for more guaranteed money......it is very team friendly for a starting QB

Teams will be fighting over Romo......that doesn't get you a 4th....it gets you at least a 1st........GMs need to win now,not in 5 years

DAL saves the same amount if they cut him, trade him or he retires....DAL has all the leverage....they won't use it but they have it.......3 years under contract means Romo can't just retire to get his way....if he retires that is it he plays for no one but DAL

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Romos situation is different because Jerry will accomodate him. They aren't just going to sell to the highest bidder because Romo won't just go to any team. I expect the compensation to be low.

You can say the Cowboys have the leverage but Jerry thinks of him like a son he will help him go whereever he wants. If it's Denver Elway is a smart GM he won't give up a ton due to Romos injury history.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think there is an organization crazy enough to give up that much for a washed up QB who wasn't even that good in his prime. I think someone may be willing to take on his contract though. I think a 5th or 6th rounder just to get his contract off the books would be a HUGE blessing for us.

We can't pay our backup QB $20 mil. That money has to be used on other roster positions. No way he can stay and continue being a distraction, while also crippling us with wasted cap space. Gotta do what is best for the team and trade him, provided there is someone interested.
It is amazing how much you got completely wrong

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Finally, I agree with those who say Romo retires. He's at a point where he makes almost as much money for not playing as for playing. He has a wife who has to be tired of seeing him writhing on the ground with broken collar bone and back issues that are structural, not just muscular.

His competitive nature and desire to have one more good year to go out as starter
Versus
Leaving family and relocating to a new city for a very short time
Learning a new system, new teammates, new coaches
Going to an inferior OL when he couldn't stay healthy behind the best OL in football
Going to a team with an inferior running game and possibly receivers
Risking what has been seen again and again...taking that risk and not even winning the starting job or losing it after a rash of turnovers while adjusting to everything and everyone new, possibly even being injured or released.
Ending his career like Emmitt and other stars, accomplishing little in exchange for a brief time in the wrong uniform.

If Tony carefully weighs how this can turn out, I think he will realize the odds are against his dream comeback. I'll be shocked if he doesn't accept this and retire.
Romo has 3 years left on his 6/108m extension......if he retires he would owe the team a 50% rebate on his 25m signing bonus...doubtful JJones plays that hard but it is his choice, not Tony's

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Never said 2 #1's. I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised with a 2 to a desperate team. Bradford has been traded 3 times for crying out loud and isn't better than Romo at 36.

Fair enough on the first part. He might not be better, but he is younger. Again, never underestimate age. That's a factor in Bradford's favor not Romo's.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I predict Romo to Arizona. Carson Palmer is shot. He won't make it another year. Romo may not either, but if he could stay healthy, he would be just what the doctor ordered for the Cards.

Aven8

Reaction score
I predict Romo to Arizona. Carson Palmer is shot. He won't make it another year. Romo may not either, but if he could stay healthy, he would be just what the doctor ordered for the Cards.

Ok then 3 #1's! :D

LittleD

Reaction score
Romo has 3 years left on his 6/108m extension......if he retires he would owe the team a 50% rebate on his 25m signing bonus...doubtful JJones plays that hard but it is his choice, not Tony's

That dog just won't hunt... Jerry didn't go after a certain DL in Chicago and he didn't go after a backup QB who matriculated to Buffalo. Jerry will let Romo do what
Romo wants to do. Romo was Jerry's magnificent wildcat "bonanza" and he's not going to risk the relationship down the line.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Romo trade value is directly correlated to a team's desperation level.
One needs only to look to this yr and the Sam Bradford trade

That is why the smartest play of all is to maneuver the cap to allow Romo to be kept and sit back and wait for a desperate team to come calling. If nothing ever materializes then come June 1st, you have a decision to make. Right now, Jerry should be hinting that Romo is under contract and despite what anyone wants to say or think, there is a good chance he is a Cowboy next year. You can't maximize value for anything if people know you are desperate to sell.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Trade him for a 2nd round pick or better, otherwise keep him on the team.
Agree. I will be hoping for a first and will be very patient and wait for it. If I don't get it, than a second would suffice but nothing lower. We don't get it than keep him. Just my opinion.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Agree. I will be hoping for a first and will be very patient and wait for it. If I don't get it, than a second would suffice but nothing lower. We don't get it than keep him. Just my opinion.
After my knee jerk reaction and thinking it thru, I don't think it will happen but hoping it does. Maybe it's the holidays affecting my brain.