Is Trading Zeke on the Table?

kskboys

Reaction score
35 mil guarantee isn't that high and did it occur to you that sitting out a season greatly reduced how much a team would offer in guaranteed money?
From what I know, I don't believe Leveon's camp even counteroffered.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
From what I know, I don't believe Leveon's camp even counteroffered.

We have no way of knowing either way. I can't remember how much time past between the jets offer and signing. If there wasn't much time then the guess would be no counter offer, but again we can't know for sure.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Cowboys didn't want to trade Walker. Rumor got started, and a bidding war started, w/ the offers simply way too good to turn down.
I didn't want walker traded either but the team was awful with him. The funny thing is Walker returned to Dallas a few years later. I always consider him a Cowboy. Just wish he could have gotten a ring . It's a different time now. Doubt anybody is going to break the bank trading for Zeke. He means more to us than other teams.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Cowboys didn't want to trade Walker. Rumor got started, and a bidding war started, w/ the offers simply way too good to turn down.

No rumors didn't start the process. After the 1989 season started like the 3rd or 4th game Johnson decided the Cowboys weren't going to do squat so he went to Jerry and said the Cowboys could get enough to really help the Cowboys so the Cowboys sent out what was then called twix to the other teams saying Walker was on the trading block. This is how they did it back then without the media knowing first what is happening. Now one of the teams later leaked to the press that the Cowboys were trading Walker and the the media jumped on it. The rest of the league already knew about it and the Cowboys had already received offers before the press knew about it. Johnson was given the go ahead to contact vikings GM Mike Lynn because Johnson knew him. Johnson did and told them they got an offer from cleveland and they would take it so if the vikings wanted him they would have to up the offer of more players and draft picks. They did and the rest is history.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Eagles traded Murray (and his contract) to the Titans. He ended up being paid $22 million, a tad over the guaranteed number. So he did get it.

The Cowboys certainly did run Murray into the ground in 2014, and consciously so. Sturm again: "Murray’s 449 touches in the regular season were the second-most over the last 15 seasons in the NFL. (Only Larry Johnson’s, 2006 season, in which he was clearly run into the ground, featured more.) If you add in the two playoff games that took him to 497 touches, you would find that no player in the history of the sport had ever carried and caught the ball more in one campaign than Murray did in 2014. It wasn’t a heavy workload. It was the heaviest ever."

I don't know what you're saying about Bell at this point. When he held out, he wasn't breaking a contract; he didn't have one. He turned a contract down, but surely you're not saying that there's anything wrong with that from a professionalism standpoint. It's just not relevant to the conversation we've been having about holding out when under contract.

I agree, that was a difference but the reference in the other posters post was to Gruden, who is the coach of the Raiders. The post I made is very relevant to that original post and to that posters point.

That absolutely could be the case but the Eagles didn't pay it. They just took a powerful tool out of our tool box in signing Murray and then moved on. That's kinda what I'm saying right?

As far as the 2014 season, yes, he did have a lot of touches but if you average his carries out over the 4 seasons he was in Dallas, that was not an excessive amount of carries. I will also say this, I recall Garrett trying to sit Murray in 2014 and I also recall Murray not wanting to sit because he was chasing the rushing title. Never seen a back who didn't want another carry.

In terms of Bell, no. In fact, I have consistently said that Bell and Zeke are two totally different situations and you can't look at Bell and compare that situation to Zeke. I don't think Bell did anything wrong, per say. I just think he was stupid to leave that money on the table. He should have played out the year, taken his money and then signed with another team the next season IMO. That's all.
Difference was that team was going nowhere fast. This is supposed to be a contender.

kskboys

Reaction score
No rumors didn't start the process. After the 1989 season started like the 3rd or 4th game Johnson decided the Cowboys weren't going to do squat so he went to Jerry and said the Cowboys could get enough to really help the Cowboys so the Cowboys sent out what was then called twix to the other teams saying Walker was on the trading block. This is how they did it back then without the media knowing first what is happening. Now one of the teams later leaked to the press that the Cowboys were trading Walker and the the media jumped on it. The rest of the league already knew about it and the Cowboys had already received offers before the press knew about it. Johnson was given the go ahead to contact vikings GM Mike Lynn because Johnson knew him. Johnson did and told them they got an offer from cleveland and they would take it so if the vikings wanted him they would have to up the offer of more players and draft picks. They did and the rest is history.
Not the way I heard it.

And it was DEN.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
A question for Cowboys fans. This is a question not related to the off the field issues. Is Zeke worth a new contract with over 1500 carries since college?

Personally I would love to have Zeke the next couple years but I personally would not mind letting him after that. At that point he would be coming close to the end of his prime. So why not explore trading him now while he has value?

Zeke hasn't had 1,500 carries since college, he's had 868.

Emmitt, a much lighter back, had 979 his first 3 years and was a 1,000 plus rusher for 11 years.

Yes he's worth a new contract, he's a top runner, good receiver, good blocker, good teammate. That's not a common combo.

Pay the man, as best you can. His value isn't going anywhere but up (barring injury), like the old Fram oil filter commercials said "you can pay me now or pay me later", or in Zeke's case pay him (for reference purposes only) $12 mill now or $15 mil in 2 years....