Is Tyler Biadasz the Cowboys’ Long-Term Answer at Center?

quickccc

Reaction score
Half a season of starts is not enough to answer this question. He was not horrible which is encouraging but he was also not exactly dominant. Not that I expected him to be but our struggles running inside fall squarely at the feet of him, Williams, Looney and McGovern. After Zack went down/got moved outside it felt like our inside running attack dried up completely. I grade Biadasz as an incomplete to this point. But am anxious to see more.. Hopefully we get more of a true offseason training program to boost his strength and technique. Really that goes for all of them..

it is with me,. don't think they made a move in the draft up to think of him as a career backup. Especialy a guy that was A Dave Rimington award given out
the premium center in college ranks.

Injuries set tyler back in college ( likely a huge reason why he slid in draft rds) and injuries did so again with a surprising hamstring injury
pre game warm ups after he got starting role after Looney himself got injured .

i hated that injury happened to him as he couldve used that very valuable game experience.

Should Looney depart in FA (which i'm doubting for one his age) i could see either one of the Conners moving to center
or one like Marcus Henry being groomed as a backup.
i would like to see Biadasz continue to get stronger but one could tell he has a knack and feel for the interior. ;)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He’s an upgrade over Looney, who is terrible against A gap blitzes.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Half a season of starts is not enough to answer this question. He was not horrible which is encouraging but he was also not exactly dominant. Not that I expected him to be but our struggles running inside fall squarely at the feet of him, Williams, Looney and McGovern. After Zack went down/got moved outside it felt like our inside running attack dried up completely. I grade Biadasz as an incomplete to this point. But am anxious to see more.. Hopefully we get more of a true offseason training program to boost his strength and technique. Really that goes for all of them..
He stepped in and looked right at home. Actually did better IMO than T-Fred did when he was made starting OC.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Biadasz played but he didn't show that flash that I was hoping to see. The center position is heavily technique oriented so maybe we'll see big improvements over the next two seasons. Still can't figure out why McGovern didn't get put in at C. Maybe he's just not very good?
maybe Im under aware but I loved his second level blocking and blocking strength. yes I saw him get a pancake once or twice but he wasnt pushed back into the pocket but a few times. Im not expecting Fredbread

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He’s a natural C.

He got overlooked a bit because of all the lower body injuries to the OL, and the terrible T play by Knight and Steele.

he should be the starter in 2021.

I like Looney, but he’s a G, not a true C. (Could be why he struggles in A gap pass protection? Always chips with the G) And he’s UFA, so probably gone if some teams needs OL help. At his age, he will want to max out his earnings.

I am not a fan of Philbin. His job was saved because of all the injuries and all the attention on Nolan. I prefer we hire an elite OL coach, not one of big Mikes Green Bay buddies.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Assuming Biadasz can be durable -- all players must be measured by this -- I think he is a long-term starter at C. I like that one person referenced the need of the Cowboys to find OL starters outside the first round or two.

More than any unit on the team, the OL must work in concert. Time together is critical. The whole can be better or worse than the sum of the parts. Nate Newton was a fringe NFL player until he found his fit in a dominant Cowboys line. Tuinei was a conversion from DL (by Landry) who was hanging on to a job by his fingernails.

The 90s line was great because of its uncanny ability to dominate as a unit. A few guys came and went -- Stepnoski, Donaldson, Gesek... but the line continued to be efficient and smart.

Biadasz certainly can fit beside a Zack Martin. But for Biadasz and the rest of the Cowboys' current OL, the key is durability. Can they stay on the field enough to be an efficient unit?

This is where the Tyron conundrum lies. Can he stay on the field? Post corrective surgery, I'm in favor of trying to find out. But I understand why others aren't.

Assuming a line manned by Tyron, either Conner, Biadasz, Martin and Collins could stay healthy long enough, I think you have a great unit. Every player doesn't have to be a first or second round pick.

ondaedg

Reaction score
maybe Im under aware but I loved his second level blocking and blocking strength. yes I saw him get a pancake once or twice but he wasnt pushed back into the pocket but a few times. Im not expecting Fredbread

He played well against a few teams. Where he didn’t play as well was against the teams with a good DL. I came away unimpressed which isn’t an insult since he adequately played the position. If he puts together a solid performance against a WFT or Rams then I will be ecstatic. He’s a rookie and the C position is more technique than pure strength.

garyv

Reaction score
Biadasz played but he didn't show that flash that I was hoping to see. The center position is heavily technique oriented so maybe we'll see big improvements over the next two seasons. Still can't figure out why McGovern didn't get put in at C. Maybe he's just not very good?

I felt the same way in my view he didn't appear above average if even average. If there is someone better than make it better

plasticman

Reaction score
There is no such thing as one player being "the answer" at their position, not even Tom Brady. Was he the answer for the Patriots during their 2008 season?

Creating a quality squad through competition is the answer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the job is there for the taking, really up to Biadasz. Is he willing to dedicate himself this off season to become the starting center. I hope the answer is yes

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with everyone saying we just do not know based on the little playing time he got. Is it meaningful that when he came back from his injury the left Looney in at C instead of giving Biadasz the snaps?

I am not sure if Biadasz is every going to be a pro-bowler, but C is a really important position on the OL. The article refers to the Ray Donaldson acquisition, but does everyone remember what happened after Donaldson retired?

OL is going to be huge concern for Dallas next year. First, the two tackles are coming back from significant surgeries. How well will they play? Then there is still the problem at LG. What worries me is not just whether Biadasz will be okay at C, but is he is playing next to Connor Williams. I see that combination as weak and being weak in the middle of the line is very bad.

We must see improvement from Biadasz. Williams is going into his 4th year and I don't see him getting any better. Maybe McGovern takes his place but he is also a question mark at this point.

I know this, the Cowboys cannot take any more injuries at the tackles or from Zack Martin.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I think so. On a healthy line I think Connor Williams would be the weak link not Biadasz.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Looney graded better this past 2020 season than Biadasz. Of course. Biadasz was a rookie, so he very likely will get better. Keep both and let them battle it out in 2021.