Is Wade lying or in denial?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
In the DMN's article about Michelin Man assuming more of the defensive playcalling, this from our HC:

"It's not on him (Stew), it's not anything on him. He does exactly what I want done and he's done that the whole time," Phillips said. "I'm just trying to help more, that's all I'm doing. Nothing has changed except I'm going to be helping more and be more involved than I had been."

What kind of Wade BS is that?

Still cannot bring himself to say: Stew has stunk up the place. I am gonna try to save his *** and let him keep the title and I will take the blame from now on.

Still won't take anyone to task. What a Gutless Wonder.
And, if it is really is on Michelin Man, is that not tantamount to saying he failed? So why do we even keep him??

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
How many wade threads are you going to start?

Nothing is going to change. Wade isnt going anywhere, he isnt going to become a screaming full of rage coach and he isnt going to call players out.

He was hired to be the coach that he is. For better or worse he is doing that.

There is no magic potion to fix this. We all have to sit and take our lumps.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Because head coaches always throw their coordinators under the bus publically at press conferences.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2367597 said:
In the DMN's article about Michelin Man assuming more of the defensive playcalling, this from our HC:

"It's not on him (Stew), it's not anything on him. He does exactly what I want done and he's done that the whole time," Phillips said. "I'm just trying to help more, that's all I'm doing. Nothing has changed except I'm going to be helping more and be more involved than I had been."

Still cannot bring himself to say: Stew has stunk up the place. I am gonna try to save his *** and let him keep the title and I will take the blame from now on.

And, if it is really is on Michelin Man, is that not tantamount to saying he failed? So why do we even keep him??

It should not surprise anyone that Phillips is going to defend his coaches. He is fiercely loyal to anyone he sees as "family".

Right now we are all concerned about the public perception that is being thrown out there.

All that matters at this point is if things change. If the results change, all is well.

Even if it does not, don't bother waiting for him to rip his coaches.

I think Wade Phillips is a very nice person. In fact, too nice to be an NFL coach.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Doesnt matter.

When we lose the next 2 and go into the bye at 4-5, Wade will be gone.

cowboyed

Reaction score
theebs;2367601 said:
How many wade threads are you going to start?

Nothing is going to change. Wade isnt going anywhere, he isnt going to become a screaming full of rage coach and he isnt going to call players out.

He was hired to be the coach that he is. For better or worse he is doing that.

There is no magic potion to fix this. We all have to sit and take our lumps.

I highly doubt that Jerry hired a coach who would not accept reality and effect the necessary changes on players or coaches for the betterment of the team.

And I highly doubt that Jerry after the Campo years, would knowingly hire a weak head coach so that he could exert some control him at the expense of the franchise or the goal of re-achieving Superbowl eliteness. Put it in perspective he has spent 100's of millions of dollars over the years to improve this team.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Then you are blind. He wanted a coach that would NOT challenge him.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2367692 said:
Doesnt matter.

When we lose the next 2 and go into the bye at 4-5, Wade will be gone.

And we are halfway to being the Raiders. A coaching job no sane person would want with a meddling geriatic owner.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
an old saying, you are what you are

whether we like it or not

whether head coaches like giants coughlin changed his style
or texas longhorns head coach changed his style

some people are in denial, its their way or nothing, so they will be stubborn, hard you know what, refuse to change and lose

thats the way it is,
unless God gets ahold of you and works on you

thats the only way this will change

it goes back to when the cowboys had trouble with special teams coach

what was wound up happening and done
good ole wade assigned 4 other asst coaches to do a job one man is responsible for, that took away from their needed time on coaching

now with stewart, something that good ole wade said he would never do let an def coordinator run his defense, nate newton said he has, and good ole wade did

what this signifies to me, good ole wade was being lackdasual, not doing his job like head coaches like jimmy johnson or coach vermeil would spend 18 hours or more a day working on team, game planning etc, but seems like good ole wade thinks everything is rosey and he still does to a point
but jerry jones got onto his rear end for goofing off and being content and saying everything was ok when it wasnt and wasnt working

that says it right there, this head coach will never change, to me, is what it says,

and thats really sad, you took a team that had 13 probowlers, and other players with exceptionall talent, you got them to beliveing everything was okk when it wasnt, you got them to take an extra day off so you could take that day off too, thats what that really means, you wanted a day off too, head coach good ole boy wade

you have no ideal what a really good head coach is, and what one should do

to win a championship, have your players, and coaches accoutable, but you keep passing the buck, when you should have been coming down hard on the players and the coaches like read for not doing his job, and when you turned things over to garrett and stewart so you could take time off too

that really stinks

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wade is just not going to call anyone out in public.

He may have citicism of some of these guys behind close doors but hes not giving anything to the media.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2367597 said:

If you expect Phillips to rip into assistant coachs and player to the media than just keep on whinning because he is not going to do that. What takes place behind closed door who know but to the media Phillips is not going to attack his own to those wolfes. Bottom line Phillips is taking over the playcalling that should be good enough regarding his feelings of Steward.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;2367998 said:
Wade is just not going to call anyone out in public.

He may have citicism of some of these guys behind close doors but hes not giving anything to the media.

For the life of me I can't understand why some can't get that. Wade takes the full responsibilty for screws up of players and his staff. What Phillips says to them is between Phillips and them not for public consumption.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2368063 said:
For the life of me I can't understand why some can't get that. Wade takes the full responsibilty for screws up of players and his staff. What Phillips says to them is between Phillips and them not for public consumption.

They must not have listened to the guy at all last season.

Wade is going to give you the same press conference every day.

He'll just try and point out the positives. At times like this it makes you want to pimp slap him but there is no way he is this hunky doory around his team at times like this.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It would be nice if Wade, once in a while, would say things the way they are instead of trying to sugar coat things but that simply isn't Wade's personality. He's a nice guy who doesn't want to hurt anyones feelings by trampling on them in the media. I mean, honestly, does he really need to come out and say "Yeah he stunk. I'm taking the play calling away from him cause he sucked at it" to the media for the point to get across?

I mean isn't it pretty obvious if he's taking the play calling away that Stew has been evalutated as not getting the job done? I don't think he really needs to come out and say it in order for the reason to be obvious.

cowboyed

Reaction score
burmafrd;2367980 said:
Then you are blind. He wanted a coach that would NOT challenge him.

Then you are pessimistically delusional because Jones worked very well with the strong willed and highly independent Parcells for 4 years and even earnestly attempted to retain him when he (Parcells) was mulling quitting the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2368069 said:
It would be nice if Wade, once in a while, would say things the way they are instead of trying to sugar coat things but that simply isn't Wade's personality. He's a nice guy who doesn't want to hurt anyones feelings by trampling on them in the media. I mean, honestly, does he really need to come out and say "Yeah he stunk. I'm taking the play calling away from him cause he sucked at it" to the media for the point to get across?

I mean isn't it pretty obvious if he's taking the play calling away that Stew has been evalutated as not getting the job done? I don't think he really needs to come out and say it in order for the reason to be obvious.

Most coaches are not going to throw their assistance under the bus and berate them to the media. It is the HC job to take full responsibility for all that takes place and Phillips is doing that. As you said he is taking over the defensive play calling for Steward I would say actions are speaking louder than words. But it would take a low SOB to stand up to the media and pass the buck off on players or assistant coaches the HC is responsible for all and when they screw up it is on Wade and it is up to Wade how to correct it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
thats part of the problem, wades answer to a player is, im going to fine you, your suppose to take treatment as subscribed, and thats it, thats all he does, no hollering, no grabbing a player and telling him he is hurting the team and himself

wade said this, and this points to what im talking about,
first he doesnt like to play rookies, but as you all know he was forced to play felix on kickoffs,
then wade said, i dont like to churn the bottom of the roster to try to improve playes from what i have on the team, to me, we are a family, so we stay a family

if you dont try to improve, and your players dont look at it like family, then in long run your hurting yourself, when a player that knows he is suppose to take treatment for a knee injury and he has some excuse why he didnt come in at all that day, and you let him off lightly, that tells the player, gee i can do what i want anyway, he wont come down hard on me,

and players at the bottom of the roster, i made the team now i dont have to worry about the cowboys bringing in anyone to take my job this year,

then when you dont allow hitting in practice to stay fine tuned for the season, your muscles tear down, and you arent ready when someone pops you in the mouth, your taken back like the cowboys were last year against giants in playoff game, like the Commanders game and rams and cardianls when they popped the cowboys in the mouth

when other teams say that we can tell by your body language that you arent ready to physically take us on, were going to take it to you and beat you

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2368063 said:
I can't either. I don't know why it's so hard to comprehend that just because a press conference is one way, it doesn't mean it's the same way behind closed doors. No coach is going to come out and say that this assistant has failed in public, no matter how true it may be. Even Parcells most of the time wouldn't throw people under the bus in public, but you know he reamed them at practice.

I think the real answer is that people know this, but it would remove an easy gripe, even if it isn't based in fact. When people don't like someone and want to ***** about them, what do they care about the truth?

It really does have to do with the guy in my sig. I think the first part of that movie is absolutely hilarious, when he's tearing the guys a new one. For some reason, people like butt-chewings and think they're great -- when they happen to someone else, of course. People get mad at the team losing and want to see a Gunny Hartman-style beatdown, and when they don't get it, they throw a fit.

But it's not going to happen, not in public.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
cowboyed;2368076 said:
Then you are pessimistically delusional because Jones worked very well with the strong willed and highly independent Parcells for 4 years and even earnestly attempted to retain him when he (Parcells) was mulling quitting the team.

Yep and Jerry Jones wanted Parcells to come back and coach another year, heck even gave the guy a raised after what the 2nd year coaching even though we didn't make the Playoffs.

Also, for anyone saying Jerry Jones only hired Wade Phillips to be a puppet, I think he could have easily hired Norv Turner if that was the case.