Is what you are seeing from the 2024 Dallas Cowboys surprising anyone?

CWR

Reaction score
I’d guess they regret not firing Big Mike.

hes lost all of his credibility.
He didn't fire him and he wasn't going to fire DQ. He made public his stance on "dead coaching contracts." It doesn't mean he won't fire a coach, obviously, but he's going to give that coach the benefit of the doubt time and again.

Part of it is Jerry being cheap, the other part I believe is he's terrified to make an incorrect aggressive move.

I think Jerry is perfectly fine standing by and waiting to see if MM can right the ship.

kskboys

Reaction score
He didn't fire him and he wasn't going to fire DQ. He made public his stance on "dead coaching contracts." It doesn't mean he won't fire a coach, obviously, but he's going to give that coach the benefit of the doubt time and again.

Part of it is Jerry being cheap, the other part I believe is he's terrified to make an incorrect aggressive move.

I think Jerry is perfectly fine standing by and waiting to see if MM can right the ship.
It's not that he's fine w/ it, it's that Jerry is so football dumb he simply doesn't have another answer.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes I am surprised ........ because, without a QB injury, we have been winning a lot of regular season games and then flopping in the playoffs for decades.

I assumed it was gonna be just more of the same .......

shabazz

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like an optimist, it's only been 3 games. Giants, Stealers, Lions, bye week. By then we'll know if it's as bad as it looks now.

I know I know, what will change to make it better. All I'm saying is 3 more weeks.
I'd suggest that the sample size be extended to include the Niners, Falcons,Eagles and Texans.....those teams have potent offenses and most can tote the rock.

Not that theirs actual consequences here, but MMs future should be decided after the Texans game

CWR

Reaction score
It's not that he's fine w/ it, it's that Jerry is so football dumb he simply doesn't have another answer.
He's still correcting from his belief he let Barry Switzer go to early. Same thing with the draft and not taking the shot on Randy Moss.

Anytime he's self aware enough to know he made a mistake it costs us a decade minimum.

The mast of over correction.

ReverendFelcher

Reaction score
I picked us going under .500, but yes, the run defense being this bad surprised me. Thought Zimmer defenses were at least fundamentally sound. Players, even star players, don't know their assignments, or don't seem to care.

Creeper

Reaction score
It is not surprising me. I said they would win 6 games and get blow out 6 or 7 times. I am sticking to my prediction even though Baltimore did not complete the blow out. It felt like a blowout at 28-6 in the 4th quarter though.

garyo1954

Reaction score
A little. Then I read these GM threads and realize when Booger learned he couldn't be the football genius he thought, he became the lemonade salesman.

In other words he bought a football team he can't run, so he's rebranded it as entertainment value. And as long as it is making money Dolomite Jones will be satisfied.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Fellow Dallas fans.....

If what you are seeing from the 2024 Dallas Cowboys surprises anyone, then you are blinded by your loyalty and fanaticism.
Sure, like in years past, I will be ridiculed for pointing this out as I have also stated that Jerry Jones continues to sell FOOLS Gold
( also known as pyrite). A worthless stone, the fools many people seeking to be rich. Searching for REAL gold, miners
fall for the this fake stone.

Jerry sells optimism, words and hope each and every season for the past 28 years. And over the stretch of time, fans scoop
up these worthless nuggets and try to sift through sand to find the RICH stone, only to be let down, once again with the
fools gold.

Entering 2024, after yet another embarrassing season ending loss, Jerry throws out more fools gold with "All-In" phrases
This time, Dallas fans use their gold pan and find more sand with fools gold but not buying into this false prophets rhetoric.

But this team lost their 1,000 rusher, the Hall of Fame left tackle and two starting DTs. Replacing each with rookies or
past their time players trying to have one more NFL season. In addition, filling out their roster with undrafted players.

We are also sold that the Cowboys draft so well under Will McClay. Maybe it is alittle better but still a HUGE reason
this team can even see a NFC Conference game, let alone a Superbowl. Mazi is a 1st rd bust and the other DT was a
2nd rd bust in Tryson Hill. Taco Carlton was another 1st rd bust. And let's not even go through the many years of 2nd rd disappointments
When this franchise keep depending on The Draft to fill their team and not enough of those players do not "pan out", this
franchise looks to get "cheap" bottom basement players and they are usually from bad teams that didn't even want them.

Jerry Jones was asked a question about 10 years ago that if he was the GM of the New York Yankees and had the same output he is producing
with the Cowboys, what would happen? Jerry replied, HE WOULD BE FIRED. But because he is not accountable to anyone,
the results are Daniel Synder-like. ( Former owner of the Commanders). At least Mr. Synder sold the team. Jerry's PRIDE is why Cowboys fans are
seeing the destruction.

So watch our Cowboys like you do as a TV show or movie. Entertainment for a few hours with no expectations.
But if you fall into the trap again, keep the receipt and return the fools gold but know, you will get nothing in return because the stone is worthless.
No Sir, not surprised at all.

LysleE

Reaction score
There were no surprises this season…Jerry only gave the fans lip service when addressing the needs of the team to name a few:

- run defense still porous
- inconsistent LB play
- no primary RB resulting in ineffective run game
- no legit #2 WR to take pressure off of CD
- conservative, ball control offense
- defenses making Dak beat them with his arm

If you can’t run the ball and stop the run in the NFL it is going to be a long season. The better teams are going to stop the run and make Dak beat them through the air…which isn’t good for the Cowboys.

kskboys

Reaction score
I picked us going under .500, but yes, the run defense being this bad surprised me. Thought Zimmer defenses were at least fundamentally sound. Players, even star players, don't know their assignments, or don't seem to care.
Can't scheme around non-NFL players starting.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Im a little surprised that our defense has been high school level.
It has been a bit shocking and I am sure it will get better. We may even go on a run and make the playoffs wouldn't shock me at all. What I can say for certain though is that at some point the going will get tough and we will happily pack it in and go home.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Other contenders fill in the ‘gaps’ in their drafting ineptitude/mistakes with FAs … NOT the Cowboys. They drag their feet refusing to accept their misfires, hold players beyond their ‘Best By’ dates until they have zero trade value - and ULTIMATELY go spendthrift rather than picking up BEST OPTION in FA.

And despite their tendency to go cheap in FA - they will give Zeke, Zach, Ceedee, Dakota ALL THE MONEY - all guys originally drafted by the Cowboys.

In short, they willingly overpay the guys they drafted - thereby honoring THEIR OWN scouting abilities… but they WON’T pay dearly for players at positions of NEED that they didn’t draft - filling talent voids that were CREATED by their lack of foresight/scouting abilities. Name sn exception post Amari Cooper.

Jerry is an idiot - he decided he never wanted to get burned again in FA. Great. So, NOW guess what? Take no chances , get no ‘big wins’. Guy’s a billionaire sitting at the ‘limit’ Hold ‘Em table. ‘All in’ my keister.