Is WR1 as Must-Have in RPO based offense?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Of course, we should have an all-pro in every position.

But if we go towards a RPO offense instead of a traditional triplet offense, does it reduce the importance of a WR1.
Or rather, is it more important to have at least 3 WR2 than a WR1?

The RPO, with a dominant OL and a dominant RB, can disrupt a defense possibly more than WR1 can?
That would be by misdirection, having multiple options from each formation, ...
Rolling out in one direction and leaving a DE uncovered to gain a one-man advantage

IMO, we could deemphasize the WR1 and use the draft pick/$ for WR1 towards OL and defense.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

But if we go towards a RPO offense instead of a traditional triplet offense, does it reduce the importance of a WR1.

The RPO, with a dominant OL and a dominant RB, can disrupt a defense possibly more than WR1 can?
Rolling out in one direction and leaving a DE uncovered to gain a one-man advantage

IMO, we could deemphasize the WR1 and use the draft pick/$ for WR1 towards OL and defense.

We need a wr that can stretch the field. Otherwise the opposing defences will play us like they did last season. They will take the middle of the field away abd the intermediate routes. That also plays against our running game.

We need a deep threat. And of course a qb who proves that he can connect on the deep ball. Which right now we dont have. I hope dak is able to improve on his accuracy. I am not very positive on that i must admit.

glimmerman

Reaction score

I don’t feel the need for a WR at 1st or 2nd round in the draft. Just get some different plays or run different things out of the same formations. But we need to change some things for sure.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
We need a wr that can stretch the field. Otherwise the opposing defences will play us like they did last season. They will take the middle of the field away abd the intermediate routes. That also plays against our running game. We need a deep threat.
Thompson ran a 4.27 and a 4.31. You should be more excited with the signing.

JBS

Reaction score
We need a wr that can stretch the field. Otherwise the opposing defences will play us like they did last season. They will take the middle of the field away abd the intermediate routes. That also plays against our running game.

We need a deep threat. And of course a qb who proves that he can connect on the deep ball. Which right now we dont have. I hope dak is able to improve on his accuracy. I am not very positive on that i must admit.

Who can stretch the field on the eagles?

glimmerman

Reaction score

It’s also about taking the shots. You have to throw the ball also. Sending him deep is one thing but to actually take the shot makes defenses think.

waldoputty

Reaction score

we added thompson who has speed.
a speedy receiver with decent hands may not be a wr1 though.
prospects could be cheaper in fa or available later in the draft.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
we added thompson who has speed.
a speedy receiver with decent hands may not be a wr1 though.
prospects could be cheaper in fa or available later in the draft.

Yeah. We did. And i am happy about that. it is what we need.

I hope his hands are good enough to keep opposing defenses honest .

JBS

Reaction score
What is good is that you have the intelligence to recognize it. And the characteristic quantity to admit it.

Reading comprehension is not a strong suit of yours...neither is football IQ..I'm trying to find a quality character trait you do posses...I suppose it's possible you don't have any redeeming qualities

visionary

Reaction score

No
Need a few 2/3 WRs
Key is they need to have high football IQ to adjust to defenses , run good routes and catch

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yeah. We did. And i am happy about that. it is what we need.

I hope his hands are good enough to keep opposing defenses honest .

his hands and route running were horrid out of college.
from what i read, those have improved to the point that they are not weakness'.
hopefully he still has most of his speed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WRs are overrated in general. And QBs somehow underrated. Guys like Brady and Wilson and to a lesser extent, Rodgers, have made do for a long time with some fairly ordinary receivers. Guys who later became household names.

Give me guys who can block and catch reliably and be where they’re supposed to be all the time. Throw in some skill like deep speed or Beasely’s Quick feet, but for the most part, spend the money on the OTs and the QB and the DL.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Reading comprehension is not a strong suit of yours...neither is football IQ..I'm trying to find a quality character trait you do posses...I suppose it's possible you don't have any redeeming qualities

Seriously. You think to know me after 2 posts from me. I dont believe you that you are really trying to find a quality character trait i posses.

After all what i see from you is a negativ post after another. What is your main problem ?