Is WR1 as Must-Have in RPO based offense?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many Bradys and Rodgers are there in the NFL? It's easier to find some good receivers and a good system than a QB like Brady and Rodger. With a good receiving corp and a good system, you can win the SB with guys like Nick Foles.

Nick Foles WRs aren’t anything to write home about, either. They’re pretty good, but not special.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Carson Wentz and Nick Foles aren’t real quarterbacks?

Because the eagles ran a lot of RPO’s with both QB’s last year......

That's simply an incorrect statement you threw out there hoping your fellow brainless believed it.

Real QBs don't need gimmick offenses.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If we keep 6 like last year then who gets the boot? Noah? T-Will? A trade?

Lots of possibilities to dump.
Dez. Lenoir. Brown. Thompson (only 1mil guaranteed).

Trades?
Probably no one would trade for Williams. Thompson. Switzer. Brown?

I expect
Ridley, Hurns, Williams, Thompson, Beasley, Switzer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
if we had a dominant ol, then we could really ram it up the butt of the defense if they are spreaded out by 4wr set. the beauty of these sets and multiple options per set is to force the defense to spread apart and respect those plays. that removes the extra defenders from the box from which a dominant ol and zeke can feast.
so a dominant lg would be nice, so i am all for hernandez.

I don't see Hernandez.

But I do like the spread for the reasons you suggest.

Garrett always likes protection over spread. I think the best block is simply making a guy cover a WR out of the box. And when you have a great oline, limiting the number of linemen on the defense is win. Make their dline beat your oline.

Wish Tony had gotten a chance with it. Bet he would have been great at it.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I think the distinction of "#1 receiver" is over rated in today's NFL, where there seem to be 3-4 receivers out there on most downs. Give me three solid "#2" receivers over the dropoff in talent that inevitably comes with having #1, #2, #3, etc type receivers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said receivers which includes TEs. I also said good system.

They're still not special, collectively. They're 'good.' I don't consider their system special, either, though. I consider their defense special, especially their front, and they got great QB play across the board last season.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Creative play design along with good speed and quality route running can overcome the need for a burner. Agholor is the fastest on the Eagles at 4.4. However I've noticed they like putting him in the slot which creates headaches. He's too much for an LB, so help needs to come from usually the corner or sometimes safety.

Either way it often ends up with 1 on 1 coverage on the outside and a void in the secondary.

Jake0

Reaction score
4.4 speed is fine, it needs to be respected. Even moreso with good playcalling and someone that can do good double moves etc. 4.3 speed REALLY needs to be respected. Most teams have at least 1 guy that's 4.4. Everyone on Dallas last year other than Brice is 4.5+. Brice only played in 261 snaps last year, about 25%. He didn't get the job done.

Torrey Smith has always been a deep ball guy. Him and Agholor are a good deep threat duo. Ertz can go down the seam. Their overall speed at receiver is much better than Dallas for keeping D Coordinators off balance.

Pats got Cooks for this role. Still think Dallas gets someone that can at least be an Agholor from this draft.

Zman5

Reaction score
They're still not special, collectively. They're 'good.' I don't consider their system special, either, though. I consider their defense special, especially their front, and they got great QB play across the board last season.

Did you watch the SB? Their "not so special" offense scored at will with "not so special" WRs with Nick Foles as the QB. Against a Bill Belichick defense.

I wish our offense and receivers were "not so special" like theirs.