Is WR1 as Must-Have in RPO based offense?

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
WRs are overrated in general. And QBs somehow underrated. Guys like Brady and Wilson and to a lesser extent, Rodgers, have made do for a long time with some fairly ordinary receivers. Guys who later became household names.

Give me guys who can block and catch reliably and be where they’re supposed to be all the time. Throw in some skill like deep speed or Beasely’s Quick feet, but for the most part, spend the money on the OTs and the QB and the DL.
I agree but I would like to add offensive scheme/adjustments as well. I really need to get off this soap opera but I think our scheme is our biggest weakness (please accept my apologies)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but I would like to add offensive scheme/adjustments as well. I really need to get off this soap opera but I think our scheme is our biggest weakness (please accept my apologies)

A lot of people agree with that.

I don’t really like our scheme, but I don’t think it’s reall what’s at issue. When we protect our QBs, we’re as good as anybody offensively. I’d like to see us being in more talent—any talent—on the other side is the ball. No, I don’t consider Joe Thomas a talent upgrade. It’s been so long since we’ve had a dominating defense. I hate it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Of course, we should have an all-pro in every position.

But if we go towards a RPO offense instead of a traditional triplet offense, does it reduce the importance of a WR1.
We need WRs who can beat single coverage. We don't need an elite guy who can beat double coverage. Note that that elite guy probably takes an elite passer to go with him.

In 2014 we had Dez and Romo as that elite QB/WR duo. Certainly nice to have, but hard to come by. Also, very expensive.

I'm more interested in the strategy of two solid WRs who can beat single coverage, plus a decent QB who can get them the ball. Much cheaper, much easier to find, and it lets you put your resources on the oline, which is where we happen to have our money, and have the players to make that worthwhile.

Hurns looks like a great example of a less than elite WR who can beat single coverage. Ridley is probably still not going to be elite either, but he projects as a guy who can beat single coverage even more. Good route runner with enough speed paired with that to go deep. Two guys who can run routes and catch the ball, with one of them a deep threat.

I think Butler was actually a pretty good fit for us too. Decent enough skills to catch the short stuff, but the size, strength, and long speed to beat you deep. Another guy who can beat you if you only single him. Speed kills.

We need enough WR talent to hurt teams if they crowd the box and single our wide outs. If they don't crowd the box, we're going to beat them with Zeke and the oline.

I like that kind of offense as a long term strategy. Spend in the trenches, not the edges.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We need a wr that can stretch the field. Otherwise the opposing defences will play us like they did last season.

Stretching the field is just one way to keep teams from crowding the box. More generally, we need WRs who can beat single coverage. Guys who can run routes and catch the ball can do that too.

dwreck27

Reaction score
yea, a few wr2/3 types without serious limitations like twill and catching with hands or bease's size

Yes. When it was obvious how good dak was with this new fresh Seahawks style team that could dominate time of possession I said it might be time to move on from Dez and reallocate his money to some defense guys since WR didnt need to be such a big ticket anymore... that included twill.

Im all for having an expensive Oline, dominate RB, and a QB who chooses to not make the big mistake and does just enough to keep you in the game

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Thompson ran a 4.27 and a 4.31. You should be more excited with the signing.

Another thing about Thompson - decent kick returner.

With all the WRs, having an option to move Switzer would be a good thing, though I probably wouldn't want to do that unless we extend Beasley.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If we keep 6 like last year then who gets the boot? Noah? T-Will? A trade?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Another thing about Thompson - decent kick returner.

With all the WRs, having an option to move Switzer would be a good thing, though I probably wouldn't want to do that unless we extend Beasley.
Thompson returns kicks but not punts.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We need WRs who can beat single coverage. We don't need an elite guy who can beat double coverage. Note that that elite guy probably takes an elite passer to go with him.

In 2014 we had Dez and Romo as that elite QB/WR duo. Certainly nice to have, but hard to come by. Also, very expensive.

I'm more interested in the strategy of two solid WRs who can beat single coverage, plus a decent QB who can get them the ball. Much cheaper, much easier to find, and it lets you put your resources on the oline, which is where we happen to have our money, and have the players to make that worthwhile.

Hurns looks like a great example of a less than elite WR who can beat single coverage. Ridley is probably still not going to be elite either, but he projects as a guy who can beat single coverage even more. Good route runner with enough speed paired with that to go deep. Two guys who can run routes and catch the ball, with one of them a deep threat.

I think Butler was actually a pretty good fit for us too. Decent enough skills to catch the short stuff, but the size, strength, and long speed to beat you deep. Another guy who can beat you if you only single him. Speed kills.

We need enough WR talent to hurt teams if they crowd the box and single our wide outs. If they don't crowd the box, we're going to beat them with Zeke and the oline.

I like that kind of offense as a long term strategy. Spend in the trenches, not the edges.

yea, except a #1 pick in ridley should probably be spent on the OL or the defense.
wr2 can be had later in the draft or cheaper in fa, like hurns who cost $6m per year with incentives.
this year, i would use the #1 on hernandez or some ol to make the ol dominant again for zeke.
after 2018, i would tend to get proven wr2's in fa and use the picks for defense.
dont agree with butler who is very talented but unreliable.
with a scheme that takes advantage of the wrs and rpo talents, we could keep the box less cluttered for zeke.

Zman5

Reaction score
WRs are overrated in general. And QBs somehow underrated. Guys like Brady and Wilson and to a lesser extent, Rodgers, have made do for a long time with some fairly ordinary receivers. Guys who later became household names.

Give me guys who can block and catch reliably and be where they’re supposed to be all the time. Throw in some skill like deep speed or Beasely’s Quick feet, but for the most part, spend the money on the OTs and the QB and the DL.

How many Bradys and Rodgers are there in the NFL? It's easier to find some good receivers and a good system than a QB like Brady and Rodger. With a good receiving corp and a good system, you can win the SB with guys like Nick Foles.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
yea, except a #1 pick in ridley should probably be spent on the OL or the defense.
wr2 can be had later in the draft or cheaper in fa, like hurns who cost $6m per year with incentives.
this year, i would use the #1 on hernandez or some ol to make the ol dominant again for zeke.
after 2018, i would tend to get proven wr2's in fa and use the picks for defense.
dont agree with butler who is very talented but unreliable.
with a scheme that takes advantage of the wrs and rpo talents, we could keep the box less cluttered for zeke.

With the 1st for defense. Maybe. There's no burning need. More need at WR, because of Dez's 12.5mil cap hit, and because WR was a big problem last year.

I don't see us spending another #1 on the oline. Maybe if we trade back. If Ridley is there, we take him.
Ridley projects as a solid 1, though not in the elite range.

If Ridley isn't there, it's defense, but not a 1tech or CB or LB. Vea would be an interesting test on that, but a 1st on a 1tech just isn't their philosophy. They do a lot of drafting by position value. If James falls near us, maybe a S. A 3 tech. Conceivably if some magical DE falls to us, just for position, but doesn't seem likely given this year's draft class. Most likely a 3 tech, given the board.

I agree that Butler has had reliability problems, but that really wasn't the case last year. We just didn't use him, didn't throw to him when we did. He was productive and reliable. Pretty good concentration on catching deep balls. Water under the bridge now. I think another team is going to get a pretty good WR cheap.

waldoputty

Reaction score
With the 1st for defense. Maybe. There's no burning need. More need at WR, because of Dez's 12.5mil cap hit, and because WR was a big problem last year.

I don't see us spending another #1 on the oline. Maybe if we trade back. If Ridley is there, we take him.
Ridley projects as a solid 1, though not in the elite range.

If Ridley isn't there, it's defense, but not a 1tech or CB or LB. Vea would be an interesting test on that, but a 1st on a 1tech just isn't their philosophy. They do a lot of drafting by position value. If James falls near us, maybe a S. A 3 tech. Conceivably if some magical DE falls to us, just for position, but doesn't seem likely given this year's draft class. Most likely a 3 tech, given the board.

I agree that Butler has had reliability problems, but that really wasn't the case last year. We just didn't use him, didn't throw to him when we did. He was productive and reliable. Pretty good concentration on catching deep balls. Water under the bridge now. I think another team is going to get a pretty good WR cheap.

if we had a dominant ol, then we could really ram it up the butt of the defense if they are spreaded out by 4wr set. the beauty of these sets and multiple options per set is to force the defense to spread apart and respect those plays. that removes the extra defenders from the box from which a dominant ol and zeke can feast.
so a dominant lg would be nice, so i am all for hernandez.