Is Zack Martin’s agent playing serious hardball?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Draft a guard in round 2; let Martin walk next year if he doesn’t sign a contract we like. He’s the greatest, but you don’t need the greatest guard in football to run or pass successfully. Very good or great will produce similar offensive results as the best. Fans won’t like that, but I’d be fine having a top 10 guard at half the price.

Even a 2nd or 3rd round guard with Collins at the other guard and a Doug Free type or better RT can produce huge offense.....can’t argue with history. Bottom line is we don’t HAVE to resign Martin if his demands hurt our roster balance.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
My biggest fear is he might be trying to get franchised for two years to get a big pay day on both those years then expect a big guaranteed contract much like cousins.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If they do plan on moving on and they do so any other way than trading him... Well... That would just be very like this FO.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Keeping your own isn't, apparently, as easy as it was led out to be.
Draft well... lose people, as a consequence, for this team.

Corso

Reaction score
If they do plan on moving on and they do so any other way than trading him... Well... That would just be very like this FO.
If his price is too high... trade him right this second and for a bounty. As bountiful as you can... I mean they-
Oh crap...

Last edited:

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
At some point you have to start looking at other options. I want to keep him but I wouldn't pay him anything crazy like 15 mil a year.
There's a certain cost you don't go past for a non-QB.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If his price is too high... trade him right this second and for a bounty. As bountiful as you can... I mean they.
Oh crap...

That's what I would do too. If they're already scared they won't be able to sign him long term, now is the time to move on. I have no doubt you could get a first round pick and more for him. Well, a shrewd FO could. If we really are in love with Hernandez, move Martin, draft the kid and continue improving even further with the bounty of picks. I wouldn't hate it .

PUSHfold

Reaction score
With the amount of money he wants I think it's a smart move to let him go and get whatever we can in a trade but like other people previously posted this isn't a popular opinion but I've had it for a while now. We will probably make him the highest paid guard in the league though...at least he's an elite player though and isn't a mediocre one getting paid like he's elite. Of course he will be hard to replace but if the team isn't properly balanced it'll go no where anyways so what's the difference?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Keeping your own isn't, apparently, as easy as it was led out to be.
Draft well... lose people, as a consequence, for this team.
Well, I'd rather be in a position of losing good players after having them for 5 years VS always scrambling to fill holes in FA.

We know exactly where we sit with Martin. They can plan accordingly.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
5th year option, then Franchise tag for a G shouldn't be too high.
I was thinking about this last night. What do you guys think his trade value is right now? Might be smart to move on now if he is going to Play this kind of hard ball.

Since Martin can play Tackle too Cleveland might be a good trade partner so he could replace Thomas. They have tons of cap space and a bunch of picks.

Corso

Reaction score
Well, I'd rather be in a position of losing good players after having them for 5 years VS always scrambling to fill holes in FA.

We know exactly where we sit with Martin. They can plan accordingly.
But will they? That is the question, my Yorick.

conner01

Reaction score
Did you guys think Zach was going to give us a hometown discount?

Why? Because he loves wearing the Star or playing for Clappy?

LOL

Zack is going to bend us over
I don’t know about bending is over
He’s gave the team everything they’ve
ask for as a player
Now he and his agent want to get paid
Can’t blame a guy for wanting to be paid and that’s the agents job
Just business

Corso

Reaction score
I wonder how many here in this thread advocating getting rid of martin will also be on here next talking about how the Cowboys screwed up and let a generational OL walk.
Many. And many of them will be hypocrites. Ce La Vie...

Corso

Reaction score
Zack ain't going nowhere.
Which could be great, or could be not-so-good for the entirety of the team.
We have no choice, but to wait and see and talk about it here, ineffectually.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I wonder how many here in this thread advocating getting rid of martin will also be on here next talking about how the Cowboys screwed up and let a generational OL walk.
If he was our only guy. Maybe keep him.

But we are paying big money to Smith, Fred and to some degree Collins. You can't have north of 30% of your cap invested in the online.