Is Zay Flowers an option?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think they are talking about Smith. He’s 6’ even, not 6’2. Although his freakish 6’6 wingspan sets him apart.

With that said, I don’t want Flowers in the 1st. I don’t see any aspect of his game that is particularly special. I think he can be a good NFL player for sure, but I don’t see #1 or great #2 potential. To me it would be forcing a WR pick because it’s a need over higher potential at other positions
He knows what we were talking about. He just likes to play know-it-all lol

As for flowers.......he is getting Antonio brown comps.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He knows what we were talking about. He just likes to play know-it-all lol

As for flowers.......he is getting Antonio brown comps.
Flowers is turning into one of my favorite options in the 1st.

Even though he may play slot at a high rate, there’s still a ton of value in a high end slot WR who can give outside reps as well.

It’s been several years but Dak use to love throwing to Beas for quick hitters. This dude is a suped up version of Beas that can give you more big play ability and can play outside/

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Flowers is turning into one of my favorite options in the 1st.

Even though he may play slot at a high rate, there’s still a ton of value in a high end slot WR who can give outside reps as well.

It’s been several years but Dak use to love throwing to Beas for quick hitters. This dude is a suped up version of Beas that can give you more big play ability and can play outside/
I think he can play outside. The play he made on the busted wr reverse pass was ridiculous.

MAZEREZAM

Reaction score
I don't think that's a reach, many mocks have him going much sooner. You want to bring in players who can play the WCO, IMO.
Yeah, I’ve come around to drafting a WR earlier because there are some available this year that could help out Dak in the new offense. I think Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be the best one because of great route running/separation. He’s dropped to our range on big boards and mock drafts recently.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think some here are missing how much the slot has evolved around the league.

Now scouts consider it a huge PLUS if a player can thrive out of the slot.

All the teams are moving their best WRs into the slot for at least half their reps now because they have more flexibility.

League-Wide Trends​

Throwing to the slot continues to be more effective than throwing out wide on a per-play basis. In 2021, receivers working either tight or out of the slot had a 2.7% DVOA, while receivers split out wide were at -3.7%. The gap actually widens if you look at just wide receivers, from 4.1% to -4.2%. Getting a talented wideout lined up against a third or fourth corner is usually an advantage for the offense, and working out of the middle of the field also gives them more potential options for route running. Add in the ever-increasing use of nickel defense opening space in the middle of the field, and it appears lining up in the slot is a small but persistent benefit for receivers. It's not a huge gap, and the size varies from year to year, but it's consistently there.

cnuball21

Reaction score

All the teams are moving their best WRs into the slot for at least half their reps now because they have more flexibility.

League-Wide Trends​

Throwing to the slot continues to be more effective than throwing out wide on a per-play basis. In 2021, receivers working either tight or out of the slot had a 2.7% DVOA, while receivers split out wide were at -3.7%. The gap actually widens if you look at just wide receivers, from 4.1% to -4.2%. Getting a talented wideout lined up against a third or fourth corner is usually an advantage for the offense, and working out of the middle of the field also gives them more potential options for route running. Add in the ever-increasing use of nickel defense opening space in the middle of the field, and it appears lining up in the slot is a small but persistent benefit for receivers. It's not a huge gap, and the size varies from year to year, but it's consistently there.
Yup. I also posted on another thread, but remember how much success Dak had with Beas early in his career?

Pass2Run

Reaction score

League-Wide Trends​

One reason I like Flowers. You need a slot receiver, because it's closer to the QB and allows you to scheme the other players in the game by occupying other areas of the field and keeping those defenders busy/in-check.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like him but I am concerned over his size, only 2 wr in the last 10 years that i can recall have been drafted at 5'9 and under and under and have had less than dazzling careers.
Tavon Austin
Marquise Brown.

Doesn't he won't be great but it's gotta raise concern.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like him but I am concerned over his size, only 2 wr in the last 10 years that i can recall have been drafted at 5'9 and under and under and have had less than dazzling careers.
Tavon Austin
Marquise Brown.

It’s a very fair concern…that being said the league is evolving.

In order to be a successful shorter WR you have to have a lot of plus traits and I think he does.

+ route runner
+ short area quickness
+ long speed
+ contested catch + YAC

All that in addition to him being the only offensive weapon on a bad team with a ad QB and he still put up massive numbers.

In todays NFL if you have a great slot he can easily handle a high volume of targets and put up a high amount of yards. If he can be the guy that consistently gets open and catches balls when Lamb is getting doubled I think he warrants a late 1st selection. Perfectly fair if you disagree though.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Tavon Austin
Marquise Brown.

Why cut off at 5'9? There are plenty of great 5'10 wrs. That 1 inch means that much? Nahhhh

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Tavon Austin
Marquise Brown.

His size should absolutely be a concern. I can’t imagine that this kid is going to be the top player on the board when we select.

Dools29

Reaction score
McCarthy typically likes big receivers but they considered bringing in Brandon Cooks, who he reminds me of.

rambo2

Reaction score
is #26 a reach?
Looks undersized.
about the same height and weight as Devonta Smith.
Fast and a very good open field runner.
Good hands.
Everyone looks like Hall of Famers in highlight videos.
Anyone follow BC chime in

He is an option for the Cowboys between 26 and 58.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
is #26 a reach?
Looks undersized.
about the same height and weight as Devonta Smith.
Fast and a very good open field runner.
Good hands.
Everyone looks like Hall of Famers in highlight videos.
Anyone follow BC chime in

I doubt it as the Cowboys have a distinct prototype for the position. Does that now change if we are moving more to a wco?