Is Zeke still or no longer among most explosive RBs in NFL?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think that would be go prep speak, but reality is reality. Injuries take a toll.

I could maybe see regaining speed if it's a weight thing though. If that's all Zeke's problem is, he could regain it. However, if it's from the wear and tear he has had since college and the heavy workload, I don't think you can just regain what was lost. I would think the NFL would have caught onto this by now and implemented something to get players faster or back into form. Plenty of dedicated players would love to gain back their speed, I am sure.
Everybody is different. Every situation is different. Yes people can definitely regain speed and get quicker obviously some can't. I wasn't talkin 100% everyone Trace maybe I should have made that more clear nothing's perfect. But this is not Ezekiel Elliott's problem

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Might just be a case of bulk. I think Zeke had good speed for his size, but not exactly a burner. Maybe some wear and tear. I don't know.
I truly believe it's patience. His feet can't catch up to his body. He's always leaning forward downhill. And that's a good thing. And not not a big fan of a knucklehead. LOL but he is built for the Long Haul

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Those things actually matter in the NFL though - if going by 40 times, normally no one is significantly faster the other person - however, that one lost step can be what gets you out of the league. You want to see a good example of this? Reggie Wayne. Dude couldn't run his final year and get separation.
I agree but it's not what we're trying to discuss. Quickness speed. Just remember Bill Bates

quickccc

Reaction score
No RB in the league is schemed against more than Zeke . Every defense top priority is to stop him.

Unfortunately he is getting tackled more and more from first contact. I haven't seen an elite RB get taken down by shoestring tackles more than Zeke now.

no RB is schemed and placed as much emphasis on swarming and corralling him as Barkley. Love Zeke but I don't see tacklers just slide and fall off his legs like grease the
way i'm seeing Barkley do. I can see why the comparisons to Barry Sanders in how elusive, shifty and so hard to coral and bring down with just one tackler in the open field.
and of course as we know, he's probably the leading guy in the entire league that we cannot let up or lose gap control vs his instant home run ability.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
no RB is schemed and placed as much emphasis on swarming and corralling him as Barkley. Love Zeke but I don't see tacklers just slide and fall off his legs like grease the
way i'm seeing Barkley do. I can see why the comparisons to Barry Sanders in how elusive, shifty and so hard to coral and bring down with just one tackler in the open field.
and of course as we know, he's probably the leading guy in the entire league that we cannot let up or lose gap control vs his instant home run ability.
I've seen some great run by saquon Barkley. This first season against the Eagles. But he's not built like Elliott. Elusive will catch up to him. in fact it already has.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually I like the Cowboys rookie. He's had some great runs already in his short career.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not worth the contract.

Zeke led the league in rushing 3 out of the last 4 years he's been in the league - and would have damn well made it four str8, if not for Goodell and his BS suspension.
he's made big plays both in run and in pass game. he's as durable as any other RB in this entire league. He's yet to miss a single game because of injury since he's
entered the NFL. He's the best all-around back in terms of rushing, receiving and blocking. He has proven very capable of excessive touches and carries.
He is very well liked among teammates, coaches and management.

He displays a tremendous knack for finding the end zone in goal line situations. And despite the hype and talk about Dak's passing production, total wins, etc. this team is still run first, and has it's
best chances vs the better teams when zeke is involved and producing his usual 100 yards rushing. what's our Win Lost record again when zeke is over 100yrd rushing ?
Zeke has more than outplayed his rookie contract and upon past accomplishment and credentials alone, is more than deserving of a new contract making him highest paid RB, imo. :dance:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zeke led the league in rushing 3 out of the last 4 years he's been in the league - and would have damn well made it four str8, if not for Goodell and his BS suspension.
he's made big plays both in run and in pass game. he's as durable as any other RB in this entire league. He's yet to miss a single game because of injury since he's
entered the NFL. He's the best all-around back in terms of rushing, receiving and blocking. He has proven very capable of excessive touches and carries.
He is very well liked among teammates, coaches and management.

He displays a tremendous knack for finding the end zone in goal line situations. And despite the hype and talk about Dak's passing production, total wins, etc. this team is still run first, and has it's
best chances vs the better teams when zeke is involved and producing his usual 100 yards rushing. what's our Win Lost record again when zeke is over 100yrd rushing ?
Zeke has more than outplayed his rookie contract and upon past accomplishment and credentials alone, is more than deserving of a new contract making him highest paid RB, imo. :dance:

That's volume stats. Tell me, who would have led the league in rushing if Barkley had similar amount of carries?

No RB, unless they are the second coming of Sanders, is worth that kind of contract. Sorry. The position doesn't translate into Ws enough.

quickccc

Reaction score
Actually I like the Cowboys rookie. He's had some great runs already in his short career.

to which we were hearing much talk about his receiving skills how he would prove a guy we could put in space, move him around in the offense as a runner- receiver, gimmick/gadget guy
one that could prove exceptional dangerous as a receiver isolated on LBs ( ala Pollard vs Jaylon vid in camp)
Remember all the talk of Alvin Kamara or McCaffrey out of the backfield ? All Pollard is destined for this year is running the ball one or two series in relief of Zeke.

Now what if Pollard were in Niners land with the way Kyle Shanahan likes to ultilize RBs in the pass game ..or even in NE ?

Proof

Reaction score
I've never thought I'd think or say that I no longer expect Zeke to break a 40-50 yard run for a long run .. remember that patented quick screen out of backfield that we've seen
breakaway down the sideline for a 60-80 yard TD pass ? (ala Steelers, Niners)

Lol. That’s adorable.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Also quite a few of Zeke’s 10+ yard runs have came at the end of the 1half’s when the other team is in Prevent Defense and only 3people in the Box.

Cheap stat padding, making him look better than he is actually playing/performing.

Yeah, because that doesn’t happen to any other RB. It’s like some of you don’t watch football outside the Cowboys.

quickccc

Reaction score
That's volume stats. Tell me, who would have led the league in rushing if Barkley had similar amount of carries?

No RB, unless they are the second coming of Sanders, is worth that kind of contract. Sorry. The position doesn't translate into Ws enough.

That's Barkley and the Giants problem. and Zeke was already producing at the level of the top rusher before Barkley even entered the league.
Now we want to take away this and that to equalize what Barkley has done ?

and the RB position has translated into wins here in Big D" before. Even before the dayz of Prescott/Elliott arrived. Even though you'd have to go as far back the early 90's to
find an example how the RB -especially a lead leading RB- translated wins for us,..SB wins at that.

Now about this Cowboys era and translation of wins ? You may have to also translate how the head coaching was much a toll different and better than we are seeing nowadays with the current HC.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That's Barkley and the Giants problem. and Zeke was already producing at the level of the top rusher before Barkley even entered the league.
Now we want to take away this and that to equalize what Barkley has done ?

and the RB position has translated into wins here in Big D" before. Even before the dayz of Prescott/Elliott arrived. Even though you'd have to go as far back the early 90's to
find an example how the RB -especially a lead leading RB- translated wins for us,..SB wins at that.

Now about this Cowboys era and translation of wins ? You may have to also translate how the head coaching was much a toll different and better than we are seeing nowadays with the current HC.

It wasn't Barkley's problem at all - he was flourishing, and if anything, should have gotten more carries. The "rushing title" is almost always based off volume stats rather than true production.

Zeke last year also had very few TDs on the ground despite leading the league in rushing attempts. Scoring is kind of important, yes?

quickccc

Reaction score
It wasn't Barkley's problem at all - he was flourishing, and if anything, should have gotten more carries. The "rushing title" is almost always based off volume stats rather than true production.

Zeke last year also had very few TDs on the ground despite leading the league in rushing attempts. Scoring is kind of important, yes?

yeh with a very questionable, departed OC that clearly had moments - such as wanting to pass it on all three downs at the goal line.
But you see the difference now with Zeke in goal line situations NOW this year under Kellen Moore vs what we experienced under Linehan in goal line situations ?

already has 6 rushing TDs at mid -season point ...vs entire year under Linehan in 2018. Totally coaching common sense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Elliot is done guys and girls. He is just now in football shape thanks to cabo. Lol. Last game we saw him grinding it out against the #2 rushing defense in the NFL. I think he got over 100 yards.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The last two games Zeke started looking like old Zeke. I think the holdout and having no summer practice affected his play. Let's see what happens these final 9 games.
Even with the slow start to the season he still has almost 800 yards from scrimmage, 6 touchdowns, and 4.5 YPC in just 7 games..... (if anything that's impressive).

With him coming along the last 3 weeks + the o-line getting healthier I don't see this season being anything other than high level

mattjames2010

Reaction score
yeh with a very questionable, departed OC that clearly had moments - such as wanting to pass it on all three downs at the goal line.
But you see the difference now with Zeke in goal line situations NOW this year under Kellen Moore vs what we experienced under Linehan in goal line situations ?

already has 6 rushing TDs at mid -season point ...vs entire year under Linehan in 2018. Totally coaching common sense.

Linehan did fine with Murray, McFadden, and Zeke. Our RBs flourished under him. Things started to change once Zeke lost his burst.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
once one of the more explosive take to house RBs both run/pass, Gurley is flat out cooked and done, imo. he seems to only gets a bit more than a handful of plays and
we rarely see ANY splash plays from him nowadays. They simply didn't see that chronic knee issue coming before they dished out that huge contract, and seem stuck with it,
I wouldn't be surprised if Rams decide to cut him within the next couple of years, even though it seems they could be headed to cap salary hell.
Johnson may be on the downside, imo and he continues to have injuries that keeps him limited or sidelined.
All contenders seem to fade except one constant. But lets ***** about explosiveness