Twitter: Isaac Alarcon shifting over to defense

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I mean what are people worried about? This is just our patented position flex. It’s great to have a few guys that can play G and DT. It makes roster management easier. I mean it’s only the NFL. It’s easy for big guys to just switch to either side of the line of scrimmage. Simple.

JustChip

Reaction score
Tuinei and Newton were both DL originally
And before that there was the Raiders’ TE that refused to switch to TE for the Cowboys, gets cut or traded, and switches there and became an All-Pro. The name escapes me at the moment.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think an important aspect of the original tweet is that the team already has seen him at DT some in practice and liked what it saw enough to give him a shot. Doesn't mean he'll succeed with the transition, but it isn't like they went, "He's not going to make it as an offensive lineman, so let's give him a shot on defense." A lot of the time, practice squad players and bottom-of-the-roster players have to play multiple positions on scout team to simulate the other team. Apparently, Alarcon showed a little something.

Of course, a few years back that project TE we drafted (the name escapes me) apparently looked like a world-beater catching passes from Romo on scout team and then just disappeared. So I won't be surprised if this experiment fails. However, how many exempt years do these international players get? If he stays exempt, then might as well keep him for scout team purposes.
Has to be 24 or younger to qualify, he'll be 25 this year so likely no more exemptions unless there's a quirky rule where they go by age at the start of the league year. All good giving him a shot to compete for a spot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Has to be 24 or younger to qualify, he'll be 25 this year so likely no more exemptions unless there's a quirky rule where they go by age at the start of the league year. All good giving him a shot to compete for a spot.
Thanks for that. I was too lazy to look it up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And before that there was the Raiders’ TE that refused to switch to TE for the Cowboys, gets cut or traded, and switches there and became an All-Pro. The name escapes me at the moment.
Todd Christiansen

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's definitely no secret that Isaac Alarcon didn't make the grade with the OL. His main quality, as I recall, was his strength. Maybe that advantage just might suit him well in the middle of the d-line. There's not much to lose at this point. Anything he does to improve his chances to win a spot may likely be for the best. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Here's hoping this switch works out well for him and ultimately, the team too.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure why some people are bothered by this. We always knew he was a project, he had a roster exemption, he didn't cost much, and the team decided he wouldn't make it as an OT, so this is just a last effort without any consequences if it doesn't work out. If he doesn't show anything in training camp he can be released like many others in training camp will be.