It’s gotta be Matt Rhule, right?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
It's an admirable achievement.

Still, it's not like I haven't seen admirable achievements in my 50-ish years of watching college football coaches come and go.

Enough for you, apparently. Not enough for me. This job is too big for this guy, at least for now.

I was simply pointing out his achievements at Baylor were greater than his 2 ten win seasons at Temple which you failed to mention.

I never said anything about my thoughts on his coaching ability translating to Dallas. You just took the liberty to assume that based on my comment. With that said I kind of agree that he may be in over his head here. I’ve also been on record saying that there isn’t a coach available that will have any more success than Garrett has. So no I’m not thrilled with Garrett or anyone else available either. This franchise is an average franchise and I don’t see that changing with anyone other than maybe Belichick.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Baylor beat Texas Tech, TCU and Iowa St on lucky/if not embarrassing officiating calls. This isn’t like they blew out Alabama. If Baylor had gone 8-4 instead of 11-1 in the regular season no one would want Rhule.

He seems like another Garrett. Great guy, solid coach. But not elite.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I was simply pointing out his achievements at Baylor were greater than his 2 ten win seasons at Temple which you failed to mention.

I never said anything about my thoughts on his coaching ability translating to Dallas. You just took the liberty to assume that based on my comment. With that said I kind of agree that he may be in over his head here. I’ve also been on record saying that there isn’t a coach available that will have any more success than Garrett has. So no I’m not thrilled with Garrett or anyone else available either. This franchise is what it is.

Sorry that I didn't pick up on your actual meaning.

Either way. Same conclusion.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Um. The operative term is "prestigious." In other words, the most high profile job or job title or position or whatever noun you want to attach to it... this is that. It doesn't get bigger in baseball than to be the guy chosen to be the NYY manager, and it doesn't get any bigger in football than to be the guy chosen to be the DAL head coach.

Look back over the past 20 years at all the people that held that position and see if you can say with a straight face that those men held the most prestigious job in the NFL.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Look back over the past 20 years at all the people that held that position and see if you can say with a straight face that those men held the most prestigious job in the NFL.

Has nothing to do with that, any more than the NYY manager job prestige is a matter of who has been the NYY manager the last 20 years.

It's a franchise thing. For better and sometimes worse, DAL is the most valuable and thus most prized sports franchise commodity in the world, and definitely within the football realm. I didn't make it that way. You didn't. None of us did. It just kinda happened over time. And that that status has stood the test of, not just time, but extended Super Bowl futility over time, is pretty damn incredible really.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I must really be missing something but I don't get all the love for Rhule.

2 10 win seasons at Temple. 1-11 to 11-1 at Baylor in 3 years. Previous NFL experience. Extensive positional coaching on both offense and defense and he’s in his mid 40’s.

If you’re really missing why he’s a hot candidate then I don’t know what to tell you.

Maybe you should try cooking or quilting or something.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with that, any more than the NYY manager job prestige is a matter of who has been the NYY manager the last 20 years.

It's a franchise thing. For better and sometimes worse, DAL is the most valuable and thus most prized sports franchise commodity in the world, and definitely within the football realm. I didn't make it that way. You didn't. None of us did. It just kinda happened over time. And that that status has stood the test of, not just time, but extended Super Bowl futility over time, is pretty damn incredible really.

Well we'll see how marketable that theory is when we see who accepts the job .

_sturt_

Reaction score
Rhule is actually a pretty cool name to have.

Astros fans will remember Vern Ruhle... the 5th starter behind murderer's row rotations that featured guys like JR Richard, Joe Niekro, Nolan Ryan and Don Sutton... fwiw, probably nothing.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Well we'll see how marketable that theory is when we see who accepts the job .

For the same reason, still, that will have nothing to do with it.

The hiring, rather, will be a function of Jerry and Stephen deciding who they want to interview, just like it always has.

But the prestige of the job is a function of the prestige of the franchise itself, which in turn, is a function of the economic powerhouse that the organization is in comparison to any of its peers.

CPanther95

Reaction score
For the same reason, still, that will have nothing to do with it.

The hiring, rather, will be a function of Jerry and Stephen deciding who they want to interview, just like it always has.

But the prestige of the job is a function of the prestige of the franchise itself, which in turn, is a function of the economic powerhouse that the organization is in comparison to any of its peers.

I'll correct that then .

We'll test that theory based on who is actually interested in the job , not necessarily in who Jerry offers it to .

slick325

Reaction score
2 10 win seasons at Temple. 1-11 to 11-1 at Baylor in 3 years. Previous NFL experience. Extensive positional coaching on both offense and defense and he’s in his mid 40’s.

If you’re really missing why he’s a hot candidate then I don’t know what to tell you.

Maybe you should try cooking or quilting or something.

I'm not that high on the guy. Good coach? Sure. But Saban, Dabo, Urban Meyer or Jimmy Johnson in college type? C'mon now. Just take Urban Myer and move on if you want a college coach not named Saban or Sweeney.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
1. When asked about Riley, Jerry gushed about Rhule.
2. Jerry said he’s in no hurry to make a coaching move.
3. Rhule said he’s going to Mexico after the Sugar Bowl.
4. The Giants are reportedly worried that they might lose Rhule to Dallas, which is a weird thing to be worried about unless they know something we don’t.

It seems like there’s some smoke here. You can’t connect the same dots with Riley, Meyer, or anyone else. Riley knows Stephen, and Meyer made a comment on TV once. Okay.

I don’t get the impression that they’re interested in any other college coaches or any NFL coaches who are currently available. Maybe there’s a coordinator for a playoff team that they’re interested in, but if not, I’d bet it’s Rhule.
Probably just bring Switzer back.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'll correct that then .

We'll test that theory based on who is actually interested in the job , not necessarily in who Jerry offers it to .

*sigh*

I'll grant that you're trying extra hard.

But good luck with that methodology for your research, since (a) coaches don't ordinarily go public with their interest unless/until they know there is enough interest on the other side of the table to merit, at least, a face-to-face interview, and (b) Joneses will start the process with their own list as they always do, which will exclude some high-regard people they just know they don't want to work with.

So, but you can take comfort that Jerry obviously doesn't hire guys simply based on their public regard... so sure, a Rhule or similar candidate could sneak in to the process and maybe even pull it off to get the job offer.

My point is simply, I don't want that to happen. The job is the most prestigious, and almost no one will not want to be, at least, considered... though the caveat is acknowledged, that doesn't mean it is the most attractive job. Attractive incorporates the specifics of the job situation, which includes the current talent on the roster and the latitude the new guy would be given to do things like help shop for the groceries.

MikeB80

Reaction score
in the ny post article on rhule to the giants robbie anderson is quoted as saying when he got to the jets the practices were easier than they were under rhule at temple.

Thats a real thing that I think makes him successful. I really love the idea of the northeast uptight always worrying about losing mindset coaches. Rhule is that guy. The giants are most likely going to hire him and with the draft picks they have he probably will have them fixed in two years.

I hope Dallas doesn't screw this hiring up in a few weeks.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I'm not that high on the guy. Good coach? Sure. But Saban, Dabo, Urban Meyer or Jimmy Johnson in college type? C'mon now. Just take Urban Myer and move on if you want a college coach not named Saban or Sweeney.

I’m in agreement with you on that. I was just stating why he’s viewed highly by others. And I’ve said before I think Sweeney would be the best college option.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I don’t know his background in detail but on Twitter through NFL guys I’ve heard : a) knows how to build a team b) brings in guys who fit system and c) has fire. Seems a fit