It’s really down to two

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd be very happy to land Collins and Barmore with or first 2 picks, but I'm curious as to why you say we better trade down? I wouldn't bat an eye at taking either of those CB's.

For me maybe not "we better" trade down, but depending on how the draft goes, I'd trade down, because imho getting two really good players would benefit the team more than one rop prospect and the next just a "pretty good" player.

Of course they're all prospects at this time, could have a repeat of last year where both Lamb and Diggs fell down past where most had them ranked.

Flexibility is the key...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Exactly. How he’s played this past year, winning defensive player of the year, he’s going to move up charts on some boards. Now with the rumors of no combine that would kill parsons stock

Just listening to Jeff/Voch podcast this morning: Voch has Parsons #4 and Collins #1 at the position. Jeff wasn't as high on Collins and his notes sounded very similar to Lve coming out, without the durability concerns. More finesse, less physical type despite his size. Voch said he viewed Parsons #4 at this time cause the other three were far better today with mental processing at the position: Bolton, Notre Dame LB.

It's worth a watch!

cnuball21

Reaction score
Just listening to Jeff/Voch podcast this morning: Voch has Parsons #4 and Collins #1 at the position. Jeff wasn't as high on Collins and his notes sounded very similar to Lve coming out, without the durability concerns. More finesse, less physical type despite his size. Voch said he viewed Parsons #4 at this time cause the other three were far better today with mental processing at the position: Bolton, Notre Dame LB.

It's worth a watch!

Jeff and Voch are ok but it’s almost like they try to go outside the consensus for attention. Having Parsons at 4 is a joke.

reddyuta

Reaction score

It's worth a watch!

i agree with Voch,even in highlights Collins looks to have better instincts than Parsons who reminds me Jaylon Smith.

Bowdown27

Reaction score

It's worth a watch!
Oh wow I’m intrigued to think parsons at number 4 lb that’s wild.

conner01

Reaction score
if we have great front 7 pressure the CB we have now are good enough

if we don’t have great front 7 pressure surtain and Diggs will not be good enough

to me this has to be a front 7 and FS draft for us to transform this defense if we want to compete with the big boys
We don’t have many
Brown and Diggs in a league you play 3 a huge chunk of the time

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
a great QB will pick apart ‘coverage’ every day of the week

With current NFL rules there is no shut down CB

teams now have 3-4 WRs on the field and one of 2 really good CBs are not that effective

given all of these factors the only option is pressure and hit the qb and make him uncomfortable

Picking CBs high is useless, defense starts and ends with front 7 and great safety play

we have good enough CBS if we sign one of Awuzie or Lewis . This draft and FA needs to be about DL, LB and safety IMO

have you seen Chido? He’s total trash.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Oh wow I’m intrigued to think parsons at number 4 lb that’s wild.
I don't think Parsons will end up being drafted 4th at the position, his upside potential will still have be taken somewhere within the top 10.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jeff and Voch are ok but it’s almost like they try to go outside the consensus for attention. Having Parsons at 4 is a joke.
I agree, Parsons still is the #1 LB in the class, but he is more of an upside pick where the others are more high floor players.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Surtain. Horn and Farley not so much. I think if Surtain and Parsons (maybe Collins) are gone, I put Leatherwood's name on the card and laugh all the way to the Lombardi. The kid is going to be an amazing player. He's already arguably the most talented OL in college and he's just scratching the surface. He can maul, but he can also play finesse blocking schemes. I think he's the perfect replacement for Tyron, even if that's not his immwposition.

Plus with his bubble he looks like he's got the frame to move inside and play guard as well.

I like him and the defensive end from Michigan personally.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
For this thread I will assume we don’t trade out of the pick and that we do not draft offense. If Tyron suddenly retires or is cut I would re-examine.

DT- huge need. But between how this team values them and the fact that there isn’t one worth a Top 10 I can’t see it. That Michigan kid? No thanks.

DE- again, no real player worth 10 and anyone you might take wouldn’t be as good as Lawrence or Gregory. You certainly aren’t spending a Top 10 for someone that wouldn’t start.

LB- Parsons is the only one in play. I think he could be gone by 10 but even if there I don’t take him. Again, where would he play? Unless Jaylon is cut he really has defined role. A third LB plays like 25% of the snaps.

S- I think we all know the answer here. Even if there was an elite talent here they would still pass.

CB- that leaves us with corner. Which leaves us with Farley and Surtain. it just makes too much sense and is the perfect blend of talent and need.

As it stands right now I would put good money down that one of them is the pick at 10
Cornerback, linebacker, pass rusher offensive lineman, defensive tackle are all possible positions we can draft with the first pick. The Cowboys could draft Surtain, Farley, Horne at cornerback, Parsons or Collins at linebacker, Georgia has a really good pass rusher, the Northwestern tackle played well against Chase, Both defensive tackle spots need upgrades. The Cowboys scouting department has its work cut out for them.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
a great QB will pick apart ‘coverage’ every day of the week

With current NFL rules there is no shut down CB

teams now have 3-4 WRs on the field and one of 2 really good CBs are not that effective

given all of these factors the only option is pressure and hit the qb and make him uncomfortable

Picking CBs high is useless, defense starts and ends with front 7 and great safety play

we have good enough CBS if we sign one of Awuzie or Lewis . This draft and FA needs to be about DL, LB and safety IMO

We've seen our wide receivers and what they can do against inferior corners. It's confusing that you can watch our games and not think that corners matter.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It's still very early as the off-season has yet to even start. The player that is picking up steam is Zaven Collins, I wouldn't rule him out.
When do NFL teams really start putting their draft boards together? I don’t think the Cowboys have a clue who they are going to draft right now. They are obviously more worried about the defensive coaching hires, the salary cap, and Dak’s contract. I wonder have the scouts at least made their board so they can jump on the table to tell the Joneses who to pick.

visionary

Reaction score
We've seen our wide receivers and what they can do against inferior corners. It's confusing that you can watch our games and not think that corners matter.

Not confusing at all

of course, in the ideal world we could sign/draft 4 great DL, 4 great LB, 2 great safeties and 3 great CBs but in the real world where we have limited resources we have to prioritize and if you read my comments in this light I think you’ll see what I mean

I get it that others may disagree and think CBs and more important than Front 7 and safety . I don’t for the stated reasons

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not confusing at all

of course, in the ideal world we could sign/draft 4 great DL, 4 great LB, 2 great safeties and 3 great CBs but in the real world where we have limited resources we have to prioritize and if you read my comments in this light I think you’ll see what I mean

I get it that others may disagree and think CBs and more important than Front 7 and safety . I don’t for the stated reasons

With bad corners that cannot defend slants quick outs smoke routes and goes it doesn't matter how good your defensive line linebackers and safeties are they are going to get destroyed.

Eli Manning used to destroy our terrible corners with three-step drops all day long despite us having the most sacks in the league

visionary

Reaction score
With bad corners that cannot defend slants quick outs smoke routes and goes it doesn't matter how good your defensive line linebackers and safeties are they are going to get destroyed.

Eli Manning used to destroy our terrible corners with three-step drops all day long despite us having the most sacks in the league

It’s a matter of opinion
Without pressure I don’t think any CB can stop a well run slant
I think we struggled because our front 7 has been trash

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It’s a matter of opinion
Without pressure I don’t think any CB can stop a well run slant
I think we struggled because our front 7 has been trash

Empirical evidence is not opinion. There is not enough time for any pass rusher to get to the quarterback on a three-step drop if the quarterback can get the ball out as soon as his back foot hits.

DeMarcus Ware was one of the best pass rushers in cowboys history and a renowned speed rusher. Eli Manning was able to nullify his Rush completely by getting the ball out in that way.

You can of course think and hold whatever opinion you want but if you can't explain the basis for it it's not very compelling to anybody else. It just reads like ideology to me.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
When do NFL teams really start putting their draft boards together? I don’t think the Cowboys have a clue who they are going to draft right now. They are obviously more worried about the defensive coaching hires, the salary cap, and Dak’s contract. I wonder have the scouts at least made their board so they can jump on the table to tell the Joneses who to pick.

Boards are usually put together after the combine.