It All Leads Back to the Cowboys Philosophy of Acquiring QB Talent

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I have said for years that you should create intense competition at every position, including QB. Competition brings out the best in people. If they shrink in the face of competition—then you don’t want them on your team.
how many teams in the NFL have intense compeition at QB position.

75boyz

Reaction score
btw, that's not a HOF, SB MVP contract. its NFL top 10 QB contract. in two years, that contract value will not be in top 10....its the way the NFL works. what the fans put value on is different than what the market does.

now, onto more important less spiteful stuff....I agree that we haven't invested draft capital into the QB position. it seemed we had gotten lucky at times. we meandered for a few years, signed a few older FAs after Aikman and lucked into Romo. seemingly we Lucked into Dak, but lately that shine has been off.

secondly, how many teams do exactly deploy that strategy? drafting a QB in first three rounds every three years?

How many teams have intense compeition at QB positions? so what you describe is not reality of NFL. it doesn't happen regularly....

this doesn't mean I am opposed to drafting a QB in first three rounds next year.

and what you basically described is failure of a GM. we can make it about Dak, but Dak will go as did Romo. and then what? its been the same story with this team for 25+ years. that falls on the GM. for years folks on this board complained about Romo and there were Romo supporters and Romo Haters and then it turned into Dak supporters and Dak haters. and what next?

as long as Jerry is the GM, this is as good as this team will be. every 4 or 5 years, make a run. seem like the team. then falter, and be one and done or maybe at most win a playoff game.. its the same cycle over and over and over and over and over again.

Kudos on your last paragraph summation here. Big Picture reality of the Family front office influence.

To win championships in spite of this team's poor management AND in my personal opinion, sub standard head coaching would take a QB that has not yet played in the NFL or even been born yet, lol.

But still that seems to be the only way to get a trophy here.

Cowboys! :)

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
Prior to Daks contract, the money was loaded on this team to run the ball. All the pieces are here. Why we can't run the damn ball is complexing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't expect Jerry to move on from Prescott very easily.

Stubborn old men only become more stubborn.

He will be here after this contract no matter the results....so either the situation (whatever it is) fixes itself or we are beat for quite some time....or still are, depending on how one views it.

noletime95

Reaction score
Here is to hoping the Cowboys take a hard look and draft a QB by day 2......or even day 1

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The massive pile of irony here is that Jerry finally built a team around his very good, very experienced veteran QB and turned it over to a rookie without even a hint of a competition.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
Prior to Daks contract, the money was loaded on this team to run the ball. All the pieces are here. Why we can't run the damn ball is complexing.

I hear ya man.
I mean I guess Tyron is a really old 30 or is it 31.
And Zeke as well. At all of 25, or is he even younger?

But for "all" of the o linemen AND Zeke to look as bad as they do right now at the same time while all of the draft capital and contracts that have been used on them is practically beyond words.

I'm aware of Tyron playing as a 20 yr old and playing LT for 10 years.
I also know Zeke had an extreme amount of touches/carries his first 3 to 4 years that has seriously decreased his effective shelf life.

BUT...

Even with that said and how well things looked the first 7 games of THIS year...

To say that the oline run blocking and Zeke have fallen off a cliff is an understatement.

jmo

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The philosophy is based on luck. They lucked out on Romo because of having Payton on staff and they lucked out when they failed to pull off the trade for Lynch and Cook was taken ahead of them.

Compare that to the teams that risk their 1st round picks and some have to go back to that well again and again until they get it right.

The Joneses had no choice with re-signing Romo or Prescott because they didn’t give themselves any other options, they were all in.

Last edited:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It all goes back to having a fan as GM of the team. Bias isn't a good thing to have when you need to build a team.

NotForLong

Reaction score
My problem with Jerry Jones is that he finds a quarterback with the talent to start and he's done.

Since Jimmy's departure 29 years ago, the Cowboys have drafted 1 quarterback in the top three rounds of the NFL draft. Jerry has been forced to overpay his starting quarterbacks because he chooses to have zero other options at the position.

If the Cowboys had followed a simple process of drafting one quarterback in the top three rounds every three years he wouldn't have been forced to pay Dak a HOF/SB MVP contract. He would have created a level of competition that enhanced the performance at that position and he quite possibly would have had future excellent trade value.

Instead, he finds one potential starter and checks off the position for the next ten seasons. He fills the backup role with some marginal performer with limited skills and no future potential.

Now with a 17 game regular season schedule the need for additional options at QB become even more critical. So long as one quarterback is still in the 4 year rookie contract window, it isn't necessary to push a fifth of the cap in one direction. I can see doing this with a guy that took the team to a championship. Otherwise, Jerry is just paying for unrealized potential.

From 1993 to 2021 there have been 143 quarterbacks drafted in the top three rounds, an average of 4.5 quarterbacks per team and the Cowboys have drafted one..
Quincy Carter?

NotForLong

Reaction score
Would Aikman have been Aikman without Steve Walsh? I often wonder.
I believe Beuerlien pushed Aikman . . . I know Steve showed Aikman how to get the Ball to Irvin . . . up until that point Aikman was only throwing to Novachek

NotForLong

Reaction score
It all goes back to having a fan as GM of the team. Bias isn't a good thing to have when you need to build a team.
The team is bigger then Jerry . . . the poor fool is almost forced to make stupid decisions based on public perception

NotForLong

Reaction score
Good thing the Packers drafted Jordan Love with a 1st rd pick to push Rodgers.
We still haven't seen Love. . . and believe me . . . sitting is the best thing for him. . . I know "Draft Capital" and 1st Rd contracts . . . but the Packers have a talented Backup that is learning from a legend and Love is not developing any bad Habits by being thrown into the fire

Kingofholland

Reaction score
My problem with Jerry Jones is that he finds a quarterback with the talent to start and he's done.

Since Jimmy's departure 29 years ago, the Cowboys have drafted 1 quarterback in the top three rounds of the NFL draft. Jerry has been forced to overpay his starting quarterbacks because he chooses to have zero other options at the position.

If the Cowboys had followed a simple process of drafting one quarterback in the top three rounds every three years he wouldn't have been forced to pay Dak a HOF/SB MVP contract. He would have created a level of competition that enhanced the performance at that position and he quite possibly would have had future excellent trade value.

Instead, he finds one potential starter and checks off the position for the next ten seasons. He fills the backup role with some marginal performer with limited skills and no future potential.

Now with a 17 game regular season schedule the need for additional options at QB become even more critical. So long as one quarterback is still in the 4 year rookie contract window, it isn't necessary to push a fifth of the cap in one direction. I can see doing this with a guy that took the team to a championship. Otherwise, Jerry is just paying for unrealized potential.

From 1993 to 2021 there have been 143 quarterbacks drafted in the top three rounds, an average of 4.5 quarterbacks per team and the Cowboys have drafted one..

Well, it was almost 2 with Paxton Lynch. That wouldn't have turned out well. But agree we have to draft some QBs a little more frequently earlier in the draft. Chances of hitting on the future starter are slim, but more chances = higher probability.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The massive pile of irony here is that Jerry finally built a team around his very good, very experienced veteran QB and turned it over to a rookie without even a hint of a competition.
So true and sad and pathetic and 75% of "The Fan Base" was all in . . . so sad and pathetic

zeke21

Reaction score
Excellent point.. and it is not about hating on Dak.. but it is about philosophy of FO.

I have often likened it to the Chiefs and Mahomes. Chiefs got Alex Smith and all jokes aside.. he was actually playing consistent football. His stat line was good.. he won games.. he was a very solid (dare I say it 'above average') QB but Chief knew he was likely not 'the one'.. so they make the bold move and go and get a top 10 pick. They then draft Mahomes. They sit Mahomes behind Smith. Smith LEADS THE LEAGUE in Passer Rating in 2017 but the coaches see that Mahomes is routinely outplaying Smith at practise, he is learning the playbook and is ready. They do not hesitate.. they trade Smith off and bring Mahomes up.

So all jokes aside.. Smith was not a bad QB at Chiefs.. he got them to the playoffs a couple of times, got a couple of pro-bowls.. was statistically in the top 5 QBs in the league for four years running. and DID NOT HAVE A LOSING SEASON the entire time he was there. The Chiefs still knew he wasn't 'the guy'.

Compare and contrast to Cowboys.. do any of us believe that Jerry would have moved on from Smith?! Would have made the trade up the board for Mahomes? Do we believe we would have trusted Mahomes?

No.. we would have kept thinking that Smith was 'close' and just needed a few more 'parts' and would have kept banging our head on that 500 season ceiling.

RIght now.. Dak isn't even as good as Smith but we aren't close to discussing moving on.. no we are still debating if the guy is elite?!

OP spot on.. Jerry thinks he has 'his guy' and then becomes rooted to it. We need to move up the board and start bringing in serious options at QB. We need to be constantly putting our QB1 (no matter who it is) under pressure until we find a truly elite one..