It Is Conference Championship Week

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I really don’t follow them closely enough to offer any opinions about how well constructed their team is.

When I make comparisons it’s more on their raw talent , abilities and contribution to their teams success.

I’d argue at least based on what I’ve seen their talents and impacts are similar.

And why their matchups in these playoffs are so evenly matched.
Josh is a turnnover machine, that's the biggest difference.

But a lot of that has to do with the fact that, like Dak in Dallas, there is insufficient talent at the skill positions. Guys aren't open. QB has to play perfectly to be successful.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Personally, that is the biggest story as well. Can Mahomes get his 3rd SB win in his 6 years as a starter? Can he surpass Brady's 7 SB rings? We thought it was almost impossible to break that. Strong possibility with the Mahomes/Reid combo.

True franchise QB, and well worth the money.
I can answer that 2nd question for you with certainty.
No, he will not get 8 or more Super Bowl wins.

But it has been impressive!

You need some breaks too, as did Brady

They played a game a couple of years ago vs the Bills where whoever had the ball last would for sure win.
They won a coin toss in OT and went down to win the game without the Bills ever even getting a chance.
Then this year, a FG kicker misses a fairly easy FG,...though the Chiefs maybe answered anyway w/ > minute left.
Brady had breaks too, like Seattle not running it in for the win...then throwing an endzone pick. etc

That's how it works. Put yourself in a position and also get some breaks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ah yes, championship week. I remember those days fondly. I had dark hair (instead of grey) and more of it. My four adult kids were then all in elementary or middle school. Gas was $2 a gallon. It was a different era.

Sadly, most of our fans today wouldn’t know what it means to be in a championship game. They have to watch every team but us and Wash participate in an NFC championship game.

I guess we will all have to console ourselves knowing we are the most profitable team in sports. And look at that “stayjum” and say, “Wow we are so lucky”. If it wasn’t such a gut punch it would be funny.
:laugh:
You know. I don’t enjoy these playoff games any less. Of course it’s special when we are in it.

But regardless if our team is enough I still want to watch the best teams compete.

What a great game last night. The matchup with Bills /Chiefs and Mahomes/Allen is what makes NFL so great.

Cowboys dont have to be a part of it for me to take it all in.

I guess growing up a Baylor fan helped prepare me for this down era. I still loved watching the best teams in college play while my team and Alma Mater wasn’t usually in the conversation.

We just grew up with all the success the Cowboys had. But I always knew it wouldn’t last forever .

I’m a football fan first. I recall when we didn’t even have a winning season and while I enjoyed watching Meredith and Bullet as Cowboys were building a team I was more enthralled with Unitas, Namath , etc while remaining a fan first of my local team.

I guess I’m a purist football fan, I just wanna watch the best play. Sometimes it’s our team which makes it more special but sometimes it’s not. I loved every minute of last nights game. Best of the year with so much at stake.

DFWJC

Reaction score

But a lot of that has to do with the fact that, like Dak in Dallas, there is insufficient talent at the skill positions. Guys aren't open. QB has to play perfectly to be successful.
Josh Allen is not remotely a turnover machine in the playoffs.

26 Total TDs
4 Ints, 2 fumbles

No turnovers and 7 TDs the last 2 games vs the Cheifs

insanely good

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sometimes greater players or teams are in the way.

The Packers and Steelers prevented us from winning more championships when we had our best teams in glory eras. SF did as well .There were others .

We went to 12 championship games in 17 years and only made 5 SB’s winning 2 so we had several better teams in our way.

There is always someone as great or greater potentially in the way. That’s part of sports and competition.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
No, Reid continues to leave Mahomes with less talent around him.

It’s all about Mahomes extending plays and improv . Truly gifted playmaker.

I look at Allen and he’s a truly more talented Proto Style QB, bigger arm and elite talent of his own but Mahomes just has a knack of sensing the pressure and getting out of the pocket and making plays others simply don’t have the instinct to make.

He’s kinda of a Tarkenton, Staubach and Favre all into one. He has no other peer this era.
I'm not arguing with you about Mahomes. My point is Reid is universally recognized as one of the best offensive minds - and probably the best at developing QBs - of the last couple decades

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you about Mahomes. My point is Reid is universally recognized as one of the best offensive minds - and probably the best at developing QBs - of the last couple decades
I’m not sure I’m giving credit to Reid for Mahomes success. That sounds more like media driven talking points. If anything I think Reid has probably received more recognition because of Mahomes success. I never heard Reid was a great developer with Alex Smith.

Mahomes benefitted from joining a low level playoff caliber team with Smith. He didn’t have to start from scratch.

But if I had to choose who I’m building a team with from Reid or Mahomes , I’m not taking Reid. That said Reid is a good offensive mind. And a solid coach. But we saw what he was with Smith and even if Phil. Good not great.

Reid wouldn’t have been sniffing the HOF without Mahomes. He’s a generational freaky type of talent who makes everyone look better around him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just when we thought no one would be as dominating in Cap era as the Patriots and Brady , I present Mahomes and the Chiefs.

With a league systemically in place to provide balance it’s shifted more to one team mainly because of one player.

The fact Mahomes has made 6 straight championship games which is every year he’s started is truly remarkable.

And I expect him to win more Super Bowls.
Well said. I had my doubts being a long-time critic of the NFL's current free agency and salary cap structure that started with the 1994 collective bargaining agreement. Kansas City has re-engineered New England's formula. Great quarterback. Great head coach. Solid front office. Extremely supportive owner. Not sure if the Chiefs can match the Patriots longevity of the past two decades but there is little reason to doubt right now that they cannot.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What match up does the NFL / networks / Vegas want. :muttley: Especially being in Vegas.

Baltimore - SF rematch, or a KC - SF game.

I don't think they want Detroit, though it could be a huge fan underdog favorite, 1st time.

I want Lions and Ravens
Baltimore spanked Detroit's butt earlier in the regular season. I did not think both teams are that far apart though. A rematch will be very interesting to watch in my opinion.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know. I don’t enjoy these playoff games any less. Of course it’s special when we are in it.

But regardless if our team is enough I still want to watch the best teams compete.

What a great game last night. The matchup with Bills /Chiefs and Mahomes/Allen is what makes NFL so great.

Cowboys dont have to be a part of it for me to take it all in.

I guess growing up a Baylor fan helped prepare me for this down era. I still loved watching the best teams in college play while my team and Alma Mater wasn’t usually in the conversation.

We just grew up with all the success the Cowboys had. But I always knew it wouldn’t last forever .

I’m a football fan first. I recall when we didn’t even have a winning season and while I enjoyed watching Meredith and Bullet as Cowboys were building a team I was more enthralled with Unitas, Namath , etc while remaining a fan first of my local team.

I guess I’m a purist football fan, I just wanna watch the best play. Sometimes it’s our team which makes it more special but sometimes it’s not. I loved every minute of last nights game. Best of the year with so much at stake.
Good football is fun to watch, as well as knowing what benchmark success looks like.

Motorola

Reaction score
Just when we thought no one would be as dominating in Cap era as the Patriots and Brady , I present Mahomes and the Chiefs.

With a league systemically in place to provide balance it’s shifted more to one team mainly because of one player.

The fact Mahomes has made 6 straight championship games which is every year he’s started is truly remarkable.

And this sixth consecutive AFCCG appeance is all the more outstanding because:
• Mahomes and the Chiefs offense struggled mightily throughout 2023, beginning with their first loss at home in the season opener.
• 5-4 record at Arrowhead
• scored over 30 points just three times (41-10 over Bears, identical 31-17 scores versus division rivals Chargers and Raiders)
• KC had a 7-2 record entering their bye week - but in the 2nd half of the season, they lurched their way to a 4-4 record.
• Top ten teams scored over 400 points this season; Chiefs finished 15th with only 371 --- 80 points behind 6th-placed Bills (Cowboys were first with 509, followed by Dolphins with 496)
• KC came in 6th in positive points differential - but it was only +77, while the top 5 teams end results were___
MIA +105
BUF +140
SF +193
DAL + 194
BAL + 203

JustChip

Reaction score

He’s also an absolute horse running the ball. He’s tough to bring down ala Roethisberger.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’m giving credit to Reid for Mahomes success. That sounds more like media driven talking points. If anything I think Reid has probably received more recognition because of Mahomes success. I never heard Reid was a great developer with Alex Smith.

Mahomes benefitted from joining a low level playoff caliber team with Smith. He didn’t have to start from scratch.

But if I had to choose who I’m building a team with from Reid or Mahomes , I’m not taking Reid. That said Reid is a good offensive mind. And a solid coach. But we saw what he was with Smith and even if Phil. Good not great.

Reid wouldn’t have been sniffing the HOF without Mahomes. He’s a generational freaky type of talent who makes everyone look better around him.
I think you are really under selling Reid but to each his own. Again I agree with you on Mahomes so you don't have to convince me.

CWR

Reaction score

I think it's a qb/coach combo. The day Andy Reid left Philly was a good day for Cowboy Nation.

GMO415

Reaction score
giphy.gif