It Looks like Merriman's out for two weeks...

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
"When the Bolts return to the practice field this afternoon for their final week of the preseason, they’ll do so without rookie linebacker Shawne Merriman. An MRI revealed that Merriman suffered a sprained Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) in his knee during the Chargers’ loss at Minnesota Friday night. He’ll miss a minimum of two weeks."

Link: http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2277

I guess this means that he won't be able to play in the season opener. Too bad though, because the way he's been talking, you could tell that he really wanted to prove something to the Cowboys for not drafting him when they took Ware instead. He was really determined to make Dallas regret their decision by showing off his physical toughness when they squared off.

Wonder how that plan's working out for him now?:laugh2:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Draegerman said:
I guess this means that he won't be able to play in the season opener. Too bad though, because the way he's been talking, you could tell that he really wanted to prove something to the Cowboys for not drafting him when they took Ware instead.

Well, he proved something to the Cowboys alright. He proved that they made the right choice.:dance3:

For the moment, Dallas has also proven me wrong, since I was upset that they opted not to take Johnson or Merriman at #11....

But I wonder, would Ware have been at #20 if Dallas drafted Meeriman or Johnson?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
Well, he proved something to the Cowboys alright. He proved that they made the right choice.:dance3:

For the moment, Dallas has also proven me wrong, since I was upset that they opted not to take Johnson or Merriman at #11....

But I wonder, would Ware have been at #20 if Dallas drafted Meeriman or Johnson?

We may never know, but how would you like Merriman a boy and Ware a charger. Man, wouldn't that suck. If the boys take Merriman, I bet the chargers take Ware.

sago1

Reaction score
At time of draft, Parcells and JJ were quoted saying they didn't believe Ware would much beyond their 11th pick. In fact they suspected the team after them (SD?) would select Ware. So they opted for Ware at the 11th and as the draft progressed they tried to trade up out of the 20th pick to get Spears, but no one was willing to trade with them. They were thrilled to find Spears still their with their 20th pick. BTW: Supposedly Parcells wanted Ware and JJ wanted Spears.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
We may never know, but how would you like Merriman a boy and Ware a charger. Man, wouldn't that suck. If the boys take Merriman, I bet the chargers take Ware.

Most definitely

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Hard to say since a lot of positive reports were coming out on Ware during the last week as it was leading up to the draft. Hi stock was definitely on the rise while Merriman's was holding steady. So to be honest, no, I don't think Ware would have been there for us at the 20 spot if we had selected Merriman first. And with the way that Merriman has been plagued with the injury bug during this preseason...

...that probably wasn't such a bad thing afterall.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Has Merriman been playing this preseason? Maybe I've missed something, but I've yet to see him appear on a stat sheet.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Dale I think I remember him playing last weekend.....no tackles=no stats.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
For that matter, has Derrick Johnson been playing in Kansas City? I've looked over their stat sheets and can't find him, either?

I did see that Merriman had two tackles a few weeks ago, but was absent from the stat sheet in the other two games.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Dale I think I remember him playing last weekend.....no tackles=no stats.

So basically, Merriman was just on the field for decoration? OUCH!

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Dale said:
Has Merriman been playing this preseason? Maybe I've missed something, but I've yet to see him appear on a stat sheet.

I believe that he only played sparingly in the 2nd half against St. Louis before he got reinjured on the opening kickoff against Minnesota. That's all he's really been able to do this preseason.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:

Ware shouldnt have been there at #11. Sprears shouldnt have been there at 20 neither. We were lucky to get both.

notherbob

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Ware shouldnt have been there at #11. Sprears shouldnt have been there at 20 neither. We were lucky to get both.
This is true.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
For most of this last year, I was hoping we could get DJ. Then Merriman and Ware burst on the scene, and I was hoping we could get one of them. Just before the draft there were some negative reports about Merriman's attitude that turned me off of him and I was hoping for Ware or DJ. I believe all three will star in this league. However, the more I know about Ware the more I am impressed with him. I think He has the superior attitude and is certainly a high character guy to go with his incredible talent. I would have been happy with DJ but I think Ware is going to be really awesome. I just hope all of our picks will stay healthy and have long tenures here in Dallas.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
I wish the best for Ware, Dj and Merriman.......but better for Ware of course :) lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jdub2k4 said:
Not even close. He wouldn't have made it past KC at #15 and probably wouldn't have dropped that far.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
For that matter, has Derrick Johnson been playing in Kansas City? I've looked over their stat sheets and can't find him, either?
Actually yes he has been playing and doing pretty well. The people up here think he could be ROY but we all know that is going to a Cowboy this year. :)

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Actually yes he has been playing and doing pretty well. The people up here think he could be ROY but we all know that is going to a Cowboy this year. :)

Does he have any stats this preseason? I couldn't find him on the sheet from any of the Chiefs' three games.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Dale said:

Must be a bug/virus or something going around. I looked for some stats from Henson in last nights game ...

... I couldn't find any.

:confused:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Dale said:

I did see that Merriman had two tackles a few weeks ago, but was absent from the stat sheet in the other two games.

Derrick Johnson:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gameb...20050812_KC@MIN

Scroll down a little less than halfway down the page, you'll get to the defensive stats...

1 in his second:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gameb...20050820_ARI@KC

And last but not least, 2 tackles in tonight's game:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gameb...20050827_SEA@KC