It might be Brooks this week after all...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Source: Cowboys consider other options in wake of Johnson's 122-yard game

By Ed Werder
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: October 27, 2008, 1:50 PM ET

Cowboys Surprise Bucs With 13-9 Victory

After a Week 8 in which Brad Johnson threw for a measly 122 yards and the Cowboys gained only 172 in all, their fewest ever in a victory, internal concerns are emerging at Valley Ranch about whether the NFL's oldest active quarterback can effectively incorporate Terrell Owens and Dallas' other receivers in the downfield passing game.
A high-ranking team source said the Cowboys will "probably" have Johnson, the backup to injured Tony Romo, start against the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants on Sunday. But the same source said Johnson's obvious limitations within the offense, on full display in Sunday's 13-9 win over Tampa Bay, might prompt coach Wade Phillips and his staff to consider other options, including third-stringer Brooks Bollinger.
In the two games with Johnson starting for Romo, none of the Cowboys' top three wide receivers or tight end Jason Witten has a reception for 20 or more yards. With Johnson in the lineup, Owens has just seven catches for 64 yards, Patrick Crayton four for 43 and newly acquired Roy Williams two for 10 yards. Witten has seven receptions for 52 yards. Williams is the only player among those mentioned with a touchdown catch.
More from ESPNEWS

espnnews_logo2.gif
Watch Dallas Cowboys' head coach Wade Phillips speak to the media on ESPNEWS. Monday, 2 p.m. ET.

Johnson is the only Cowboys player with a Super Bowl ring and the Cowboys were attracted to his experience, intelligence and reputation for being someone who could manage the game and avoid sacks and turnovers. Johnson has three interceptions and been sacked six times in his two starts.
Dallas (5-3) apparently has little interest in former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- who excelled with the deep ball -- as he failed to impress for Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett while both were with the Miami Dolphins.
NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.
Blog network: NFL Nation

The daunting challenge of playing the Giants' defense on the road is another reason for the Cowboys to discuss replacing Johnson. With the Giants leading the NFL in sacks, Johnson's inability to escape the pass rush becomes an additional liability.
Bollinger's mobility could be important against the Giants, who sacked Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger five times and intercepted four of his passes in Sunday's 21-14 victory. The Giants (6-1) have a league-high 26 sacks.
Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

Praise da Lawdy!!!!:bow::bow::bow:

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Maybe we'll have another Tony Romo incident.

This is how he got his start.:crossed:

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Why not give Bollinger a shot? I can't imagine he would be any worse than Johnson. If Bollinger can't do any better than a 40yr old guy then he should never have been brought in at Dallas.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In his presser this afternoon Wade said Johnson would start FWIW.

Maybe Jerry should give this babyface a call.......

4107_1.JPG

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Disturbed;2379136 said:
Why not give Bollinger a shot? I can't imagine he would be any worse than Johnson. If Bollinger can't do any better than a 40yr old guy then he should never have been brought in at Dallas.
That is the key. We have nothing to loose by putting Bollinger in the game since it is hard to imagine anyone doing worse than Johnson has done. I am not concerned about Johnson's age as I have seen 40+ guys play some damn good football. I AM concerned with his overall ineffectiveness regardless of age. It is time for Johnson to go and if Bollinger was worth bringing in then he will give us a better shot at winning than Johnson does.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
sandtrapp;2379124 said:

If the Cowboys didn't try to get cute, it would've been Matt Moore getting his chance.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Damn, I'll take Quincy over B.Johnson at this point.

Happily I might add.:p:

mkaky9.jpg

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
sandtrapp;2379124 said:

Romo hadn't been seen outside of preseason. Bollinger's had his snaps, and has sucked. FWIW.

...but I'm of the opinion that he can't be any worse than Brad. He's done. Maybe Bollinger just needs a better supporting cast to get some wins.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2379172 said:
If the Cowboys didn't try to get cute, it would've been Matt Moore getting his chance.

I don't understand why people are still all over Moore's jock. He had two decent games and several bad ones last year. He finished with a 67.8 passer rating, and he's currently residing at 3rd on the depth chart.

He's no superhero.

....although I would be voting to start him over Johnson. ;)

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
tomson75;2379205 said:
I don't understand why people are still all over Moore's jock. He had two decent games and several bad ones last year. He finished with a 67.8 passer rating, and he's currently residing at 3rd on the depth chart.

He's no superhero.

....although I would be voting to start him over Johnson. ;)

It's not that he was a superhero, but he had potential and a style that is more fitting to what we do on offense than Johnson or Bollinger. Obviously, he wasn't ready to start in the NFL last year, but he reminded me of Tony Romo when he was younger. I think he would have been a career backup for Romo that could come in and help us steal a game or two in situations like these.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2379236 said:
It's not that he was a superhero, but he had potential and a style that is more fitting to what we do on offense than Johnson or Bollinger. Obviously, he wasn't ready to start in the NFL last year, but he reminded me of Tony Romo when he was younger. I think he would have been a career backup for Romo that could come in and help us steal a game or two in situations like these.

Yeah. I liked him too....and I think it was a mistake to try and hide him on the PS, but some folks around here can't seem to let it go. That's all.

Regardless, we need to find a quality backup, and fast.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2379162 said:
In his presser this afternoon Wade said Johnson would start FWIW.

Maybe Jerry should give this babyface a call.......

4107_1.JPG

hey i still have that card in mint condition:D

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It's a ridiculous scenerio that will likely lead to embarrassment.

Whichever QB you want to start, that guy needs to take all the snaps in the practice. Either you believe in Johnson, or you know Bollinger gives you a better chance...they both need all the practice with our receivers that they can get.

Choose....don't don't fool around.:bang2:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
wayne motley;2379255 said:
It's a ridiculous scenerio that will likely lead to embarrassment.

Whichever QB you want to start, that guy needs to take all the snaps in the practice. Either you believe in Johnson, or you know Bollinger gives you a better chance...they both need all the practice with our receivers that they can get.

Choose....don't don't fool around.:bang2:
Remember when Landry tried to alternate Morton and Staubach every other play?

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
while I feel that Brooks gives a better chance of winning because of the mobility. i think Brad put in those good words for Brooks because he thought his job wouldn't be tested like if Simms or someone came in.;)

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I was watching this evenings news and Wade wouldn't say no about starting Brooks, he totally skated around the question.

Championship!!!!:starspin

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Rather have a sack then an INT. Gotta shorten the game and play field position when your the underdog.