It seems that Trysten Hill belongs on a milk carton

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s pretty unusual when your second round pick (and highest pick overall) can’t make the active game day roster. So far it seems that Hill belongs on a milk carton.

It’s obviously too early to call him a busy and he may still end up setting the world on fire, but it seems like an indictment of this pick sincerely Taco was essentially forced on the 46 man roster.

Based on what we have seem so far, the team either doesn’t know how to evaluate interior DL players or is looking for the wrong traits in said players.

So many of us have been begging for a trash can full of dirt at the 1 Tech, and the team will have none of it.

Marinelli’s “Rushmen” are not getting to the QB and putting much pressure on opposing QBs. We are also not solid against the run at times even when we should be.

What do you guys thing about this fact?

I think Marinelli should be chopped and we should find a DL coach that knows how to make the most out of the DL players and we should change what we are looking for in the DL, especially at the 1 Tech.

shabazz

Reaction score
Well, the offensive lines around the league seem to be ahead of the defensive lines. Who would have thought the Broncos defensive line with Miller an Chubb wouldn't even lay a finger on Carr in last nights game. I'll give them some time to gel

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I wish we would have gone after Snacks. Of course, Marinelli doesn't like true DTs and like you said his Rushmen aren't cutting it.

In the playoffs, we gave up TWO 100yard rushers. If Shurmur was smart, Saquon should have had 20+ carries which would have been a 100yard game easily the way our run defense is playing. Poor reflection on Marinelli's "rushmen" not getting the job done and it's unacceptable.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It’s pretty unusual when your second round pick (and highest pick overall) can’t make the active game day roster. So far it seems that Hill belongs on a milk carton.

It’s obviously too early to call him a busy and he may still end up setting the world on fire, but it seems like an indictment of this pick sincerely Taco was essentially forced on the 46 man roster.

Based on what we have seem so far, the team either doesn’t know how to evaluate interior DL players or is looking for the wrong traits in said players.

So many of us have been begging for a trash can full of dirt at the 1 Tech, and the team will have none of it.

Marinelli’s “Rushmen” are not getting to the QB and putting much pressure on opposing QBs. We are also not solid against the run at times even when we should be.

I think Marinelli should be chopped and we should find a DL coach that knows how to make the most out of the DL players and we should change what we are looking for in the DL, especially at the 1 Tech.
Marinelli and richard should have been left in LA.

HanD

Reaction score
IMO rod gets the best out of his players. that isn't the issue. yes they should have gotten more pressure last game but the real issue is rod is a terrible judge of talent. just let willie make all the personnel moves without rod's input. we'd be even more stacked with talent at this point.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I don't know, because I wasn't in a situation to evaluate or watch close, but it seemed like the Giants did what they normally do. They used wr screens and quick passes. It is hard to get to the QB that way. They most likely planned to avoid the pass rush. As they got behind in the game, they started going for longer passes, and there was more pressure, but the cowboys were in more of a prevent defense

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There have been a lot of posts about the defensive performance and, yes, the bottom line is a win is a win regardless how many yards the D surrenders.

Nonetheless, the interior line play left me scratching my head and wondering the outcome had we played a more adept offense.

On Hill, I do think he will pan out and be, at the least, a solid rotational player this year. To be honest, though, I am a bit more worried about our DT1 play than Hill

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I wish we would have gone after Snacks. Of course, Marinelli doesn't like true DTs and like you said his Rushmen aren't cutting it.

In the playoffs, we gave up TWO 100yard rushers. If Shurmur was smart, Saquon should have had 20+ carries which would have been a 100yard game easily the way our run defense is playing. Poor reflection on Marinelli's "rushmen" not getting the job done and it's unacceptable.

I will never understand not wanting a 330 lb guy who can’t be moved for 1st downs, short yardage, and goal line plays. I’d probably have 2 of them if it was up to me. They demand a double team and a LBer is supposed to be free and clear to make plays. Instead we have rushmen in their who when double teamed give up massive holes the RB could waltz through. On top of that, our LBers are dropping at the snap creating a 7-10 yard void for the RB to have a field day in. It’s like they are over correcting to defend the pass on every down after years of poor DB play. Well they now have the DBs to play with anyone so how about scheming to stop the run at least on say 1st down, 2nd and short, 4th and 1, and goal line plays. Is that too much to ask?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Marinelli needs to go. He sucks at drafting players for his Dline or scheme.......ect....ect......

pitt33

Reaction score
I will never understand not wanting a 330 lb guy who can’t be moved for 1st downs, short yardage, and goal line plays. I’d probably have 2 of them if it was up to me.
Me too.

Of course this is not Marinelli's belief and it does not fit his system. They need to keep that guy out of the war room.

And Trysten Hill is the ultimate definition of a project by NFL standards. I watched him literally get pushed backwards about 30 yards from where the play eventually ended up this preseason. That typically does not happen to second round picks but hopefully the light will come on and the team will get some production out of him.