It seems that Trysten Hill belongs on a milk carton

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If he was truly targeted by is in the draft (and he was THAT important as our first pick) and he can’t make the 46 man roster with the low investment we have in the position, does that not bother you?

Not at the moment. After you get past the first round, it's all about flaws. Maybe a safety isn't big enough or fast enough, so he didn't go into the first round. Same with a running back, etc.

Hill's flaw was that he had a lot of raw potential as far as size, power and quickness but not a lot to show for it. The team vetted his character and determined that his attitude toward football wasn't a problem, but that he didn't really buy into what the new coaching staff at Central Florida was selling. The scouts liked his raw potential, the coaches liked his willingness to work on his technique and realize that potential. No one knew how long it would take for that to happen.

I will gladly take a redshirt season if what the scouts and coaches saw can be realized. Would I have liked for him to have burst on the scene? Of course. I just don't know how realistic it was to expect that. I'm sure the front office and coaches hoped he'd catch on quick as well, but all that really matters is that he eventually becomes the player they thought he could be when they drafted him, which was someone with first-round-caliber skills for his position.

Let me ask you this, would you have been willing to trade our second-round pick in this draft for a first-rounder next year? I guess I kind of view this as that for right now. If the game slows down for him and Hill figures out how to properly use his skills, then we get a first-round-caliber 3-tech next year.

I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning the wisdom of taking him based on his rawness, but I'm willing to wait to see if it pays off before I consider it a bad pick. I honestly did not expect him to have a big impact this year because he had so much to learn. I do think we'll see him get mixed into the lineup later this year.

morat1959

Reaction score
Tired of this notion that it's all Marinelli's fault while Richard gets protected. At this point they're both accountable.
I agree but he’s only been here a couple years. That doesn’t excuse Marinelli or any of the other bad hires JJ has made for the past 20+ years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not at the moment. After you get past the first round, it's all about flaws. Maybe a safety isn't big enough or fast enough, so he didn't go into the first round. Same with a running back, etc.

Hill's flaw was that he had a lot of raw potential as far as size, power and quickness but not a lot to show for it. The team vetted his character and determined that his attitude toward football wasn't a problem, but that he didn't really buy into what the new coaching staff at Central Florida was selling. The scouts liked his raw potential, the coaches liked his willingness to work on his technique and realize that potential. No one knew how long it would take for that to happen.

I will gladly take a redshirt season if what the scouts and coaches saw can be realized. Would I have liked for him to have burst on the scene? Of course. I just don't know how realistic it was to expect that. I'm sure the front office and coaches hoped he'd catch on quick as well, but all that really matters is that he eventually becomes the player they thought he could be when they drafted him, which was someone with first-round-caliber skills for his position.

Let me ask you this, would you have been willing to trade our second-round pick in this draft for a first-rounder next year? I guess I kind of view this as that for right now. If the game slows down for him and Hill figures out how to properly use his skills, then we get a first-round-caliber 3-tech next year.

I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning the wisdom of taking him based on his rawness, but I'm willing to wait to see if it pays off before I consider it a bad pick. I honestly did not expect him to have a big impact this year because he had so much to learn. I do think we'll see him get mixed into the lineup later this year.
If we wanted instant impact, Hill was not the guy.

Kaiser

Reaction score

On top of that, if you want instant impact no second round pick is your guy. I just looked at the historical list of Dallas draft picks and you have to go back to Andre Gurode in 2002 to find a 2nd round pick that made an impact. Most play sparingly or if they do, its spot duty like Awuzie or below average play like Conner Williams.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

kskboys

Reaction score
On top of that, if you want instant impact no second round pick is your guy. I just looked at the historical list of Dallas draft picks and you have to go back to Andre Gurode in 2002 to find a 2nd round pick that made an impact. Most play sparingly or if they do, its spot duty like Awuzie or below average play like Conner Williams.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm
That's mostly for all teams. 2nd round picks are often STers and backups until they get their NFL feet under them. And Hill is extremely raw, so he may take longer than most.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Well, I think you had to hope that he would be while knowing in reality that it was going to take some time.