CFZ It would be foolish to move Tyler Smith to Guard in 2023

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
We have a starting LT. A good one, a young one.

10 million can pay for something we actually need. Last thing we need is to count on a guy you can’t count on.

he doesn’t play. Good riddance.

You don’t hold a candle to me. Go back to bed little dog.

So eat $8M in dead money, and then go use your cap savings to get a far lesser player to play swing tackle. Great idea.

You clown yourself every time you post. I'm grateful for the show.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tyler Smith is better at left tackle then Steele was last season. Steele is our second best offensive linemen right now. Tyler has the tools. I have noticed he is the only player on the team that has played every offensive snap. He will continue to get better I just don’t know if he will be an All-Pro and that is ok.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe, but his skill-set breakdown seems more similar to a Larry Allen or Zach Martin make-up to me. More of a power player than finesse.
So is Trent Williams though. It doesnt mean you should put them at guard. If they player can be a top 10 LT, it would be a waste to play them at OG

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He cant be counted on. Nothing much more to say. If a person thinks we can, they are drinking seriously strong kool aide
We don't need to count on Tyron if Tyler can be just as good. So, move Tyler to guard and if something happens, we move him back outside. Besides it's not like teams are going to be clamoring to pick up McGovern in the off-season.

In other words...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I understand putting Tyron back there when he is healthy, and moving Tyler to LG for the balance of 2022. Thats our best line this season, and that gives us the best shot at a deep playoff run. However counting on Tyron past this season would be foolish. It would also be foolish to keep Tyler at G.

Ive heard some say Tyler's more suitable to play OG in the NFL. This is false, and a misunderstanding of him as a prospect. Smith's measurables and skill set scream OT. His length, knee bend and lateral agility and hip flexibility are all there to be a dominant pass protectors. Add to that his rare power and aggression and you have a player with the Trent Williams tool kit. Smith is an OG only of there is no other place to play him, or of he fails at OT. To me if you classify him as the later after this season, you need the exercise more patience.

His 2023 has been checkered, but also has shown alot of positives after coming into the NFL so raw and spending the offseason at OG. He has shown himself to be a self starter and has hooked up with the most renowed OL trainers out there in Duke Manyweather. With a full off season program at LT, I see him being a plus starter at LT in 2024. I think it will be time to move on from Tyron, and on to Tyler after 2022

Can always move Tyler to RT if/when we let Steele go, which seems likely as long as both Smiths are available to play T. Smith ends up at LT when Tyron is finally done. That finally may not be far off, as he only has a year left on his current contract and has health issues. We moved on from Larry. We may move on from Tyron before he retires.
In the next 2 years a T spot probably opens up. Tyler takes it. With Tyron coming back this year, and Peters available to play LT, Tyler moves over to LG soon and gets penciled in there for next year. That's what is happening and what should happen.

erod

Reaction score
So is Trent Williams though. It doesnt mean you should put them at guard. If they player can be a top 10 LT, it would be a waste to play them at OG
Trent Williams is the best OT in football. Horrible comparison.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He cut Ware who was popular and more reliable. He can cut Tyron

Tyron is a better LT than Tyler is right now. So is Peters.

Cowboys need to stop doubling down on stupid.

It would be stupid to cut Tyron who's on a great contract and still playing at high level.

It was just as stupid when Parcells pushed Jerry to not re-sign Larry Allen or Emmitt Smith in favor of younger less talented or less ready players.

Let's not continue being stupid.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trent Williams is the best OT in football. Horrible comparison.
I said Trent Williams is a power player, not a fineness player. You are misdirecting the argument because your point about him not being suited to LT because he is a power player, not a finess player isnt valid. If you have the length, foot quickness and bend, you can be an LT. Finesse VS. Power isnt relevent.

Whats funny is you say comparing him to Williams was a horrible comparison, but you compared him Allen and Martin in the same way. Rotf laughing. You need to up your troll game. Or at least proof read and think about what you are saying

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's what we're doing with Zack Martin.
Because Zach Martin isnt an NFL LT. Thats not his skill set. Just because he did it at ND doesnt mean he is a pro LT. Have you ever seen him play LT in the NFL?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I understand putting Tyron back there when he is healthy, and moving Tyler to LG for the balance of 2022. Thats our best line this season, and that gives us the best shot at a deep playoff run. However counting on Tyron past this season would be foolish. It would also be foolish to keep Tyler at G.

Ive heard some say Tyler's more suitable to play OG in the NFL. This is false, and a misunderstanding of him as a prospect. Smith's measurables and skill set scream OT. His length, knee bend and lateral agility and hip flexibility are all there to be a dominant pass protectors. Add to that his rare power and aggression and you have a player with the Trent Williams tool kit. Smith is an OG only of there is no other place to play him, or of he fails at OT. To me if you classify him as the later after this season, you need the exercise more patience.

His 2023 has been checkered, but also has shown alot of positives after coming into the NFL so raw and spending the offseason at OG. He has shown himself to be a self starter and has hooked up with the most renowed OL trainers out there in Duke Manyweather. With a full off season program at LT, I see him being a plus starter at LT in 2024. I think it will be time to move on from Tyron, and on to Tyler after 2022
Move Tyron into the LG spot, he can use that huge body of his to open some serious holes.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

I approve this post

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I’ll defer to the coaches who see him practice every day and how he is in improving his game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys drafted him to be Tyron’s replacement at LT. Most of his snaps in training camp were at LG. If Tyron retires or the Cowboys move on from him, I would expect them to go with Tyler Smith at LT next season.