CFZ It would be foolish to move Tyler Smith to Guard in 2023

erod

Reaction score
Because Zach Martin isnt an NFL LT. Thats not his skill set. Just because he did it at ND doesnt mean he is a pro LT. Have you ever seen him play LT in the NFL?
No, but he could, just like Larry Allen did. Martin would be fine there, just not all-time-great fine.

The same may be true for Tyler Smith.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
“Ive heard some say Tyler's more suitable to play OG in the NFL. This is false, and a misunderstanding of him as a prospect. Smith's measurables and skill set scream OT”

I’d disagree with this. Moving him to LG and allowing him to play in a phone booth maximizes his strengths and covers up his weaknesses.

It's not false.

Those of us saying he's more suited to play LG understand he can play left tackle. We never said he couldn't.

In fact, the opposite.

We're talking about with a healthy Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith makes for a better LG.. He's great there. Because of his strength and run blocking ability.

We saw it in the preseason.

Then we saw him working at LT (some of us knew this from watching his college tape), and he's absolutely a good fit there, regardless of what we saw in the Giants game.

75boyz

Reaction score
Excellent post and I dont disagree with any of your logic and reasoning for both this year and next.
Spot on imo.

However, I would add one condition. That Tyron's play would hafta show in practice and the last 2 games that he was not an injury waiting to happen again but back to a very high standard LT.
Otherwise, keep it the same or give Peters a shot if you feel change is needed.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
coach jerry will put tyron back in soon as he is cleared to play lol.
tyron will be moved
any complaints direct it to Jerry-Owner/HC/GM@gmail.com

cnuball21

Reaction score
Excellent post and I dont disagree with any of your logic and reasoning for both this year and next.
Spot on imo.

However, I would add one condition. That Tyron's play would hafta show in practice and the last 2 games that he was not an injury waiting to happen again but back to a very high standard LT.
Otherwise, keep it the same or give Peters a shot if you feel change is needed.

100%, Tyron has to be healthy and good to make the switch.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Tyron's difference between salary and dead cap would be about 5M. You'll need that much to get a swing OT.
Money isn't that big an issue.

If Tyron can't play this year or wants to retire so be it but no reason again to decide that right now.
Money isn’t an issue if Tyron was actually on the field.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I understand putting Tyron back there when he is healthy, and moving Tyler to LG for the balance of 2022. Thats our best line this season, and that gives us the best shot at a deep playoff run. However counting on Tyron past this season would be foolish. It would also be foolish to keep Tyler at G.

Ive heard some say Tyler's more suitable to play OG in the NFL. This is false, and a misunderstanding of him as a prospect. Smith's measurables and skill set scream OT. His length, knee bend and lateral agility and hip flexibility are all there to be a dominant pass protectors. Add to that his rare power and aggression and you have a player with the Trent Williams tool kit. Smith is an OG only of there is no other place to play him, or of he fails at OT. To me if you classify him as the later after this season, you need the exercise more patience.

His 2023 has been checkered, but also has shown alot of positives after coming into the NFL so raw and spending the offseason at OG. He has shown himself to be a self starter and has hooked up with the most renowed OL trainers out there in Duke Manyweather. With a full off season program at LT, I see him being a plus starter at LT in 2024. I think it will be time to move on from Tyron, and on to Tyler after 2022
Only foolish to fools.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
For the record, people also said it would be foolish to move him to tackle after playing guard in the preseason....

Tyler will be fine, wherever he plays.