It's Amazing How Many Kickers in the NFL Have Dallas Ties

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I was thinking about this as Buffalo was trying to convert a game winning FG last night. Typical of a sorry kicker let his team down after they got in position for him to be a hero. All of these guys have been in Camp, had a tryout, or have kicked for Dallas. Nick Folk is better than all of them.

Matt Bryant of Tampa Bay had tryouts with the Cowboys.

Martin Gramatica of New Orleans was our replacement for Vandershank.

Rian Lindell of Buffalo was originally signed as a UDFA by the Cowboys.

Shaun Suisham of Washington has been on the roster a couple of times.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I know, its like a testiment (if thats the word for it) to how long and hard we searched for a kicker.

Im actually a little surprised Cundiff isn't on a team too.

Temo

Reaction score
Nick Folk WILL miss a game-winning or game-tying FG at some point. Even Vinatieri has had a few of those.

Let's all try not to crucify him when that happens.

CoCo

Reaction score
Temo;2427603 said:
Nick Folk WILL miss a game-winning or game-tying FG at some point. Even Vinatieri has had a few of those.

Oh I'm sure the site will be very supportive. :rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Folk a lot but I think Mason Criosby would have been the better choice at the time.

Folk is a great 'field goal kicker' but Crosby also has the leg for kickoffs which has been a serious weakness in Folk's game.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Temo;2427603 said:

Yes he will and yes he will get crucified here, by some, the moment he does. That's what happens when you've got a few fans that expect perfection, at all times, from every player.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Kansas City's Nick Novak (who they cut just weeks ago) had a preseason stint in Dallas in 2005, too.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NinePointOh;2427695 said:
Kansas City's Nick Novak had a preseason stint in Dallas in 2005, too.
You know, I thought he did but I couldn't find anything on it. I remember him mostly from that Commanders game that I was to forget so badly.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I remember Nick for the Skins but I don't recall him ever being in Dallas for any stint. Though we changed kickers there for a time like most people change pants.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Hostile;2427699 said:
You know, I thought he did but I couldn't find anything on it. I remember him mostly from that Commanders game that I was to forget so badly.

We claimed him off waivers on August 30, 2005, released him days later, and then the Skins signed him. There's a brief mention on his website.

In other news, Nick Novak has his own website.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Alot of the kickers in the league are from the Dallas metroplex as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;2427681 said:
Yes he will and yes he will get crucified here, by some, the moment he does. That's what happens when you've got a few fans that expect perfection, at all times, from every player.

We could crucify him now if we wanted to.

If Folk doesn't miss a 37 yarder against Arizona, the game doesn't go to overtime and the Cowboys win that game outright and would be 7-3 rather than 6-4.

If there was no overtime, Romo would never have gotten hurt and McBriar would not have been lost for the season.

And there's no telling the difference a healthy Romo could have made in the team's two other losses.

So if people wanted to, they could blast Folk with valid reason.

joseephuss

Reaction score
stasheroo;2427730 said:

If Folk doesn't miss a 37 yarder against Arizona, the game doesn't go to overtime and the Cowboys win that game outright and would be 7-3 rather than 6-4.

If there was no overtime, Romo would never have gotten hurt and McBriar would not have been lost for the season.

And there's no telling the difference a healthy Romo could have made in the team's two other losses.

If Folk makes that 37 yarder before the half, then Dallas does not try an on sides kick at the end of the game after Barber's TD. The game still goes into over time and a butterfly still flaps its wings in Central Park.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2427749 said:
If Folk makes that 37 yarder before the half, then Dallas does not try an on sides kick at the end of the game after Barber's TD. The game still goes into over time and a butterfly still flaps its wings in Central Park.

You may very well be right.

It's all speculation.

I'm not making a case against Folk, but merely how someone could if they wanted to.

But for the record, in retrospect, I think Mason Crosby would have been the better choice.

Folk hasn't had a touchback in forever and with this team's poor special teams, we could use all of those we can get.

zeromaster

Reaction score
stasheroo;2427730 said:

Something else would have happened; it's just the way this season has gone. Hopefully most of the bad karma is down the toilet now.

Temo

Reaction score
stasheroo;2427755 said:
You may very well be right.

It's all speculation.

I'm not making a case against Folk, but merely how someone could if they wanted to.

But for the record, in retrospect, I think Mason Crosby would have been the better choice.

Folk hasn't had a touchback in forever and with this team's poor special teams, we could use all of those we can get.

I think Crosby was the better choice as well. Or McBriar needs to learn how to kick off.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There is no better choice between Folk and Crosby. Both are good kickers. You really can't go wrong with either one. If anything Folk has proven to be better, but it is still way to early to make that call in both of their careers. Folk is also excellent at the on sides kick.

More touchbacks will be nice, but it does not cure the coverage woes. It may even make them worse. You don't want guys covering the kicks to get complacent or lazy while running down because they think the ball is going into the end zone for a touch back. There are much bigger issues than whether Folk can reach the end zone or not.

sk0aL

Reaction score
Folk has been money but he needs to work on his kickoffs. He rarely even gets it past the 5 yard line and opponent starting field position has been killing us all year.

A lot of our special teams woes are due to the fact that we give the return team ample opportunity to get upfield and create traffic for the return guys.

JayMills

Benched
Reaction score
Temo;2427603 said:

Lets hope he is in posituon to kick one this weekend. Our spechial teams are way better than in years past son