It's just 1 play, but fans need to stop all the hype on Surtain

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why would anyone expect a rookie to be great in his first NFL game?!

That said, Parsons looked comfortable wherever Quinn lined him up. Whether he was playing inside or outside off-ball linebacker, edge-rusher, inside blitzer, or dropping into coverage, the game didn’t look to big for him at this level, which is pretty impressive for a first-game rookie going up against one of the NFL’s most consistently explosive offenses, & the greatest qb in football history.
I don’t know who is responsible for Gronkowski. But that’s what killed us

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was on team Jaycee Horn.
I mean who Wasn’t. But I’m not going to complain about spilled milk i’m actually surprised they took the linebacker. And not a tight end

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
CB is one of the toughest positions to play as a rookie and has a steep learning curve. Just like fans shouldn't make a judgement off of a single play we shouldn't make a judgement off a single game either. Especially a rookies first. Surtain has potential to be an excellent player in this league, but it's going to take time to see his full capabilities.
Cornerbacks play their entire career as an island. I don’t think there is any learning curve. That’s why you can take a rookie and put them in the game instantly. You either have talent or you don’t

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why would anyone expect a rookie to be great in his first NFL game?!

That said, Parsons looked comfortable wherever Quinn lined him up. Whether he was playing inside or outside off-ball linebacker, edge-rusher, inside blitzer, or dropping into coverage, the game didn’t look to big for him at this level, which is pretty impressive for a first-game rookie going up against one of the NFL’s most consistently explosive offenses, & the greatest qb in football history.

I didn't have a problem with Parsons' performance. I think some fans just want to be the first to say I told you (name) was going to be great or a bust. A lot of the time, we're still trying to figure out after a couple of years how good or bad a player is going to be.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Which position has a tougher job. I’m still glad we took the linebacker

All positions in the NFL have a tough job. I think it was Bill Parcells who said there are no pushover college teams on the schedule. There's a major challenge every week.

conner01

Reaction score
Surtain’s a dog. He was my pick from day one. No hate his way
He’s a very good prospect
Comparing him to all time greats is extreme
Even great players don’t fit that category very often
But I’d love to have him across from Diggs
Parsons was a guy I really liked early on
Amazing athlete and great prospect
Also allowed us the opportunity to improve and get cheaper at LB
My only regret is we couldn’t get both

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All positions in the NFL have a tough job. I think it was Bill Parcells who said there are no pushover college teams on the schedule. There's a major challenge every week.
Division games. I don’t care what the record is. You know it’s going to be a battle. Some fans still think some division rivals will be a pushover. 60 years I say never

gimmesix

Reaction score
Cornerbacks play their entire career as an island. I don’t think there is any learning curve. That’s why you can take a rookie and put them in the game instantly. You either have talent or you don’t

There's a pretty decent learning curve. NFL receivers have refined their route-running. They are the best of the best, so refining technique, getting stronger, etc., if very important.

Diggs was an up-and-down starting corner last year, but it appears that he has improved from that experience.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's a pretty decent learning curve. NFL receivers have refined their route-running. They are the best of the best, so refining technique, getting stronger, etc., if very important.

Diggs was an up-and-down starting corner last year, but it appears that he has improved from that experience.
I happen to disagree on this one. You either can cover or you can’t. Maybe the speed is a little bit different techniques of basically the same , Talented, is talent on either side

gimmesix

Reaction score
I happen to disagree on this one. You either can cover or you can’t. Maybe the speed is a little bit different techniques of basically the same , Talented, is talent on either side

So Diggs giving up a lot of plays last year means he can't cover? We've had several corners over the years who were hit and miss as rookies before becoming really good and there have been several throughout the league, and we've had some who were really good from the start.

Now, if we're talking about ones who can't cover at all, I agree. But corners, like other positions, are rarely finished products as rookies. There are lots of nuances to the pro game that can make them much better at their jobs.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So Diggs giving up a lot of plays last year means he can't cover? We've had several corners over the years who were hit and miss as rookies before becoming really good and there have been several throughout the league, and we've had some who were really good from the start.

Now, if we're talking about ones who can't cover at all, I agree. But corners, like other positions, are rarely finished products as rookies. There are lots of nuances to the pro game that can make them much better at their jobs.
I don’t think it was because of a learning curve. Again I think you just get more used to the speed. I don’t call that a learning curve. Yes you can get faster. Look I totally understand what you’re saying. But some people think it’s so drastic that it’s oh my God. Obviously there is a learning curve I will admit it. But not to the point of can’t do your job

blueblood70

Reaction score
I remember during the draft process, I heard several posters make insane comments about Patrick Surtain Jr:

-A clone of Revis, already better then Jalen Ramsey.

Not only did he give up a TD, but I don't even think he is a starter as of yet.

Surtain is a good prospect, but many viewed him as an elite can't miss, blue chipper, which he is not. I don't understand all the hype, he would of been a top 5 pick if the NFL Scouts thought he was that good.
how about this we stop making any wholesale predictions good or bad about teams and players..our site is full of them after PLAYS not full games..look at the game threads..jeez even you saying hes not blue chip maybe he is but Romes not built overnight maybe by years end he has 8 picks and is all the hype..??

you saying hes not after one game is as bad as those hyping him..its all the same opinions..

PREMATURE

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree it’s way too early, this is more of a reaction of what many were saying pre-draft. A majority thought he would be a top corner as soon as he hit the field as he was a finished product. I liked the player, but viewed him more as a mid to late 1st rd prospect with a similar game as Diggs. Good against the big receivers, but worry about him facing a speed matchup.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I remember during the draft process, I heard several posters make insane comments about Patrick Surtain Jr:

-A clone of Revis, already better then Jalen Ramsey.

Not only did he give up a TD, but I don't even think he is a starter as of yet.

Surtain is a good prospect, but many viewed him as an elite can't miss, blue chipper, which he is not. I don't understand all the hype, he would of been a top 5 pick if the NFL Scouts thought he was that good.
Lol, smh

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Surtain was drafted before our pick came up. It's not like we passed on drafting the guy. He wasn't available. Move on already. We drafted Parsons, are you not pleased with him?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You have some kind of hard on with your hate of Surtain. The Broncos have two quality cornerbacks ahead of him. I wish we could have brought one of those guys they got in free agency. If you don’t think Diggs and Surtain together would not be great for the Cowboys I don’t know what to say to you. Parsons was a good pick but middle linebackers don’t have the impact that cornerbacks have in today’s game.
If that LB can pass rush, stop the run, blitz, play sideline to sideline, play zone or man up on receivers/TEs/RBs........ then yes he can have a bigger impact than a corner.