It's just 1 play, but fans need to stop all the hype on Surtain

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
If that LB can pass rush, stop the run, blitz, play sideline to sideline, play zone or man up on receivers/TEs/RBs........ then yes he can have a bigger impact than a corner.
agreed... Micah is not LVE. If Micah can play the 3-4 JACK role to perfection, i.e. get 6-8 sacks, 3-4 picks, 100+ combined tackles and a bunch of TFLs/PBUs then that is a Money 5 position (falls under Edge).

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I remember during the draft process, I heard several posters make insane comments about Patrick Surtain Jr:

-A clone of Revis, already better then Jalen Ramsey.

Not only did he give up a TD, but I don't even think he is a starter as of yet.

Surtain is a good prospect, but many viewed him as an elite can't miss, blue chipper, which he is not. I don't understand all the hype, he would of been a top 5 pick if the NFL Scouts thought he was that good.

I'm gonna need links to people calling him a Revis clone and saying he's better than Ramsey already. You just pulled that out of your poop shoot

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If that LB can pass rush, stop the run, blitz, play sideline to sideline, play zone or man up on receivers/TEs/RBs........ then yes he can have a bigger impact than a corner.
We will see. It is a long season. I hope Parsons will be the greatest linebacker in the history of football like you think. He is talented and you already see what he has done with LVE/Jaylon. The guy is fast and has the tools.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I remember during the draft process, I heard several posters make insane comments about Patrick Surtain Jr:

Surtain is a good prospect, but many viewed him as an elite can't miss, blue chipper, which he is not. I don't understand all the hype, he would of been a top 5 pick if the NFL Scouts thought he was that good.

Mo Claiborne had lofty press clippings from college too ….SEC no less . One step below the NFC East

IceStar-D7

Reaction score

He's was better then Diggs coming out so yea...I would of loved to had BOTH.....

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We will see. It is a long season. I hope Parsons will be the greatest linebacker in the history of football like you think. He is talented and you already see what he has done with LVE/Jaylon. The guy is fast and has the tools.
You have never heard me say he will be the greatest linebacker in the history so don't assume what i think because you're wrong

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
He's was better then Diggs coming out so yea...I would of loved to had BOTH.....
Wish we would have tanked for Trevor, losing out after Dak went down, going 1-15 and then traded the pick back so we could have had one of the top corners AND Parsons both

kskboys

Reaction score

He was overdrafted.

kskboys

Reaction score
You have some kind of hard on with your hate of Surtain. The Broncos have two quality cornerbacks ahead of him. I wish we could have brought one of those guys they got in free agency. If you don’t think Diggs and Surtain together would not be great for the Cowboys I don’t know what to say to you. Parsons was a good pick but middle linebackers don’t have the impact that cornerbacks have in today’s game.
Yup. They have more of an impact!!!!

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Cornerbacks play their entire career as an island. I don’t think there is any learning curve. That’s why you can take a rookie and put them in the game instantly. You either have talent or you don’t
Historically that's not really the case. Nearly every rookie corner gives up a 100 QB rating.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So if you’re not a top 5 pick then the scouts didn’t think you were that good? What kind of point is that?

Here’s a shocker: Darelle Revis wasn’t particularly great his rookie year either. Most great CBs aren’t. Few rookies in general are.
Revis also wasnt a top 5 pick. Tre White was almost a 2nd rounder

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So Diggs giving up a lot of plays last year means he can't cover? We've had several corners over the years who were hit and miss as rookies before becoming really good and there have been several throughout the league, and we've had some who were really good from the start.

Now, if we're talking about ones who can't cover at all, I agree. But corners, like other positions, are rarely finished products as rookies. There are lots of nuances to the pro game that can make them much better at their jobs.
Ive said in a few posts that Ward is the only first round CB to give up a QB rating under 100 as a rookie the last three year.

Diggs gave up a QB rating 85 as a rookie

kevm3

Reaction score
Surtain is going to be a high quality corner in the league, but he was drafted ahead of us as well as Horn, so there's no purpose in rueing over them. They simply weren't there when we picked.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Cornerbacks play their entire career as an island. I don’t think there is any learning curve. That’s why you can take a rookie and put them in the game instantly. You either have talent or you don’t

No learning curve? No it's not any easier transition compared to an RB.