News: ITS: No Surprise Here, Florida Tight End Kyle Pitts Having a Fantastic Pro Day

Bizwah

Reaction score
your memory must be blurred, we would have taken Moss in heartbeat this wasn't a reach for Ellis over Moss, Moss had some off field issues and with Irvin and all the whilte house issues that were still fresh, Jerry decided to pass on Moss over off field issues not offense over defense..

lets keep that straight. Was it mistake, yes but understandable.

a more recent pass on defense over offense was Zeke over Ramsey i still say in the draft day it was not a mistake, but in hindsight its easy to debate because of where our defense is..although odd Jags let him go so theres that..

i realize all is saying if pitts is there, he wont be, thats great, easier decsions.. if its matter of reach, you trade down get more picks still stay with defense i Surtain, Horn, or whatever the coaches feel is their #1 Target and hes still can be had few spots down..

now if for some ridiculous craziness that pitts is there i guess take him or trade that spot for a fortune..

second scenario take him but immediately try and deal Gallup , we just dont have that many balls to go around and losing Gallup for nothing would be a travesty try and get 2nd or thirds for him while still in this draft and pick up more defenders by packaging some lower pics to move up..
Oh no. No blurr at all. I remember quite well that his off field issues had a ton of influence.

What I'm saying is that you don't take a good player over a great player. Yeah, it's a stretch of a comparison to use Ellis and Moss. Plus, trying to make these posts while in a meeting...I'm not really expressing myself well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you are looking for a cheap dart to throw to get an HBack check out UCF WR/TE Jacob Harris.
6"5" and 219 pounds.

40.5" vert
11'1" broad
Low 4.4s in the 40-yd dash

Dude is a beast athletically. Dane Brugler's top sleeper.........

1. Jacob Harris, WR/TE, UCF (6-foot-5, 219 pounds)
A candidate to be the first scouting combine snub drafted in April, Harris is one of the more intriguing skill players in this year’s class. He grew up with dreams of playing professional soccer and committed to play collegiate soccer at Florida Gulf Coast. But Harris gave football a chance as a high school senior (with zero previous experience), and something clicked. He left Florida Gulf Coast after one week and spent one season at Western Kentucky as a walk-on. Harris walked on again at UCF and steadily developed into one of the team’s go-to threats, with eight touchdown grabs as a senior.

Harris plays with controlled burst and long strides to challenge defensive backs, and he flashes the potential to run the full tight end route tree. He is an older prospect — he’ll be 24 on draft weekend — and still young in football years, so there will be obvious growing pains in the NFL. But Harris is an ideal developmental tight end because of his size, athleticism and special-teams mentality (10 career tackles in college).

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Offensive players are usually the more exciting players on draft draft day. However, I would caution this board getting too excited about TEs selected high in the draft. Simply put they rarely live up to their draft stock. Meanwhile the best TEs in the league Kittle and Kelce were far from 1st round picks. Check out the below list of 30 years of 1st round of TEs. Certainly Gonzalez was next level. Davis and Olsen for quite a few years were in the top 5 of TEs in the NFL. Shockey for a time looked like he was on a path to greatness through his first 4-5 seasons. Too soon to tell on T.J. The point is For every Gonzales, Davis, and Olsen, there are many more OJ Howards and Eric Ebrons out there. They too had great measurables including fast 40 yard dash times and though they've produced some decent seasons I couldn't imagine spending a 1st rounder on either. If Pitts career was similar to those guys we would all be disappointed considering we have 2 TEs on the roster that can produce similar results. The Cowboys are in ok shape at TE at the moment and have plenty of receiving options. As intriguing as it would be too add Pitts we can't afford to take that path with much larger holes on the defense. Now if we fill more holes at CB, DT, and LB in free agency sure that may give us the luxury to consider Pitts if there.

Otherwise Surtain seems like a solid selection.

T.J. Hockenson
Hayden Hurst
O.J. Howard
Eric Ebron
Tyler Eifert
Jermaine Gresham
Brandon Pettigrew
Dustin Keller
Greg Olsen
Vernon Davis
Heath Miller
Kellen Winslow Jr
Dallas Clark
Jeremy Shockey
Todd Heap
Bubba Franks
Tony Gonzalez
Rickey Dudley
Kyle Brady
Irv Smith
Derek Brown

Reactions: CWR

cavemanct

Reaction score
If you take pitts and trade gallup how can you say you improved? Pitts won't even see the field for a year. Stop trying to trade gallup away.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My philosophy on drafting has always been get the guy who can have the biggest impact on your team. The higher the pick the sooner you want the impact. That's why I had no issue with the Zeke pick. A guy who was going to touch the ball 25 times a game was going to have a greater impact than pretty much any non-QB at the top of the draft. Pitts is not on the same level as Zeke because he isn't likely to even average 5 touches a game unless we really revamp our offense. That means that realistically Parsons or Surtain would have a higher potential to impact the game earlier. Unfortunately for Surtain, rookie corners typically impact the game negatively more often than positively.. He might be the exception.. but that's certainly not etched in stone. Parsons' speed and athleticism cannot be overstated. He also plays closer to the ball than a corner obviously so his potential for impact plays is higher than either Pitts or Surtain. But again, there's that whole rookie thing.. I would have to go back and watch his 2019 tape to be sure but I do seem to recall that Penn State's defense that year was nasty.. and he was a big part of why. Still he only played two seasons in college and was a DE who recorded a whole 6.5 sacks in 25 games.. He's kinda the classic fast, freakish athlete who may or may not be great at football. That's awfully risky at #10 IMHO. And where are the Cowboys going to play him? He's kind of a 3-4 OLB in body type. Which of course.. we don't play.. or do we? To be honest, trading down and picking up a corner and couple interior defenders would not bother me at all.

Sounds to me like you're in favor of what's best for the team. That's long been my ideal thought throughout my fandom for some 61 years now. I've been privileged to witness many years of glorious winning seasons throughout the Landry years and several under the current regime also. The ups and downs that have persisted during those years are now suffering periods of mediocrity that hurt my heart, as well as my soul, to see. Whatever it takes for this version of the team to arrive at the talents and the leadership to change this swoon into something better is my passion.

I'm in favor of whatever and whomever it takes in terms of the talent acquired in the next draft to make the Cowboys the team that I'd come to know decades ago. I'm quite sure most of us here share that desire. There seems to be as many ways to get to that as there are players to support such a long-cherished goal.

It seems to me as though Quinn would prefer to emphasize the 4-3 more than the 3-4 and that settles well within my favor. I'm guessing a blend of those defenses would surely be the modern approach to keeping offenses guessing and off balance. I can't wait to see those whom it takes to make our defense work.

Whether it takes Surtain, Parsons, Pitts, Cisco or anyone else to arrive at a championship has my heart, soul and my blessing. I'm certain most Cowboys fans share that thought. ;)

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd say i'm just not really sure. I think with his size and speed combo he can contribute in the NFL. I just don't know if he ends up at WR before its over. Then if he is a WR is he special enough to deserve a top 10 pick?
With a top 10 pick I would rather be certain that the guy you are getting doesn't have to be something else. The questions make it a high risk. Sure I can see the potential upside but is this guy going to be able to be a 3 down TE in this league? I wouldn't want another Evan Engram at 10.
I consider him in the top 2-3 lowest risk players in this draft

Should be fun to follow his career. I guess where he ends up will dictate some of it

Motorola

Reaction score
Jerry will down a gallon of Johnnie Walker Blue on camera if he's there at 10 lol.....He will be dancing
R31cec02e004c036e2da9ecdf66bb1913
Jerry Jones - along with Al Davis: both egot8sti, yet iconic. Maverick
If you take pitts and trade gallup how can you say you improved? Pitts won't even see the field for a year. Stop trying to trade gallup away.
If Pitts is picked in the top twenty, he's at least splitting training camp 1st team reps with the incumbent starter on whicnever team drafts him.

CoachD

Reaction score
Jerry passed on Randy Moss in 1998 and regrets it to this day he won't let the same thing happen if Pitts is still there when the Cowboys pick!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Will be par with what Chiefs' Kelce and 49ers' Kittle are required to do, if Pitts shows he is equal to their talent.

Love pitts. I just dont think we can afford to take a TE here. Give me the LT, trade down, ect....ect....

CoachD

Reaction score
Not interested.
I see him as just a big WR who was put into a great position by florida's coaches. They lined him up half the time at TE just to exploit the mismatches.

I see him being a tweener in the pro's. Not excellent as a WR and not a true TE either. Exposed in the running game.

I think plenty of big WR's could do what he has if put in the same system and position.

Go ahead and tell me I am wrong.
I know opinions are attacked around here by those that don't agree.

"They lined him up half the time at TE just to exploit the mismatches."........Ummmmmm duh this is what you're supposed to do in football so you made our point for us.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry Jones - along with Al Davis: both egot8sti, yet iconic. Maverick

If Pitts is picked in the top twenty, he's at least splitting training camp 1st team reps with the incumbent starter on whicnever team drafts him.
cheezburger-image-1112606464
AL..."OBSTAIN..OR STAIN"....then Jerry..."Gooood, gooood."

superonyx

Reaction score
"They lined him up half the time at TE just to exploit the mismatches."........Ummmmmm duh this is what you're supposed to do in football so you made our point for us.
Uh duuurrrrrr.... genius, the other side of this is the liability he becomes in blocking situations.
Imagine if we lined up Amari Cooper at TE and then had people dumb enough to come here and brag about his receptions from the TE position.

I’m sure this will go right over your head.