News: ITS: No Surprise Here, Florida Tight End Kyle Pitts Having a Fantastic Pro Day

CWR

Reaction score
Offensive players are usually the more exciting players on draft draft day. However, I would caution this board getting too excited about TEs selected high in the draft. Simply put they rarely live up to their draft stock. Meanwhile the best TEs in the league Kittle and Kelce were far from 1st round picks. Check out the below list of 30 years of 1st round of TEs. Certainly Gonzalez was next level. Davis and Olsen for quite a few years were in the top 5 of TEs in the NFL. Shockey for a time looked like he was on a path to greatness through his first 4-5 seasons. Too soon to tell on T.J. The point is For every Gonzales, Davis, and Olsen, there are many more OJ Howards and Eric Ebrons out there. They too had great measurables including fast 40 yard dash times and though they've produced some decent seasons I couldn't imagine spending a 1st rounder on either. If Pitts career was similar to those guys we would all be disappointed considering we have 2 TEs on the roster that can produce similar results. The Cowboys are in ok shape at TE at the moment and have plenty of receiving options. As intriguing as it would be too add Pitts we can't afford to take that path with much larger holes on the defense. Now if we fill more holes at CB, DT, and LB in free agency sure that may give us the luxury to consider Pitts if there.

Otherwise Surtain seems like a solid selection.

T.J. Hockenson
Hayden Hurst
O.J. Howard
Eric Ebron
Tyler Eifert
Jermaine Gresham
Brandon Pettigrew
Dustin Keller
Greg Olsen
Vernon Davis
Heath Miller
Kellen Winslow Jr
Dallas Clark
Jeremy Shockey
Todd Heap
Bubba Franks
Tony Gonzalez
Rickey Dudley
Kyle Brady
Irv Smith
Derek Brown

Crazy how many of these top 99 percentile TEs flop. You make a good point. We've all seen TE hype before.

Proof

Reaction score
The same that Surtain is a generational too, or just that you wouldn't complain?

Hard to pass on Pitts, though that would make us Detroit, taking 3 1st round picks in a row as WRs. Don't like that.

Surtain, I just don't need him at 10. Surtain seems much more ordinary. After Mo, I'm not trusting college DBs on dominant teams. Makes it too easy to look dominant yourself. I'm not a fan of drafting CBs that high unless they're physical freaks.

And either of those guys amounts to yet another CB/WR. Last two first were WRs, and last 2nd pick was a CB.

If I'm picking at 10, I want a special player or at least a premium position. The league may think otherwise, but I don't consider CB a premium position, and Surtain don't seem like a freak to me.

Detroit drafted two busts first, necessitating it. AND wound up with megatron.

we’d be pairing repeat success with good fortune

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Crazy how many of these top 99 percentile TEs flop. You make a good point. We've all seen TE hype before.

It's all about the situation and the scheme they go to. Put a great TE with a great QB and a great offensive minded coach and you will get magic. Sean Peyton with Brees and Graham all those years.. Gates with Rivers and a dozen coaches.. Gronk and Brady now at two stops. Witten doesn't become Witten if he's playing for Rex Ryan and the Jets.. Tight end is risky for a lot of the reasons WR is.. it's a dependent position. Very very few can succeed regardless of what crap they have to play with at QB or how dumb the coach is. All the people hanging off of Kelce and Kittle's .. er.. equipment might want to take note of the fact that both were 24 year old 5th year senior types entering the league.. and STILL had next to zero impact as rooks. Pitts will have played 4 games before he turns 21.. And neither of them went off like Pitts did in college. He's just a different kinda cat. That kind of upside would be hard to pass on. But again, it's about potential impact. Can the Cowboys use him? I just don't know.. If it was Garrett and that bunch I'd lean towards no.. but McCarthy has at least shown a willingness to do something other than use tight ends as goal line blockers. Moore I can't really tell because he was kinda stuck with old man Witt in 2019 and in 2020 when he was going to get a chance to use Jarwin as a stretch the field tight end he lost him in week one and was kinda in scramble mode the rest of the season. Schultz was a pleasant surprise but he did nothing to make me think I got a future all pro out there... I go back and forth.. I love Pitts but I have this recurring nightmare of him getting in the doghouse and being glued to the bench because he's not a pancake blocker here.

Adreme

Reaction score
He should be the first non QB off the board. ANYONE who picks any non QB over him is going to be looking at themselves in a year regretting that pick. BPA is nice and all but if a talent is this good you do not pass that up. If he is available at 6, then someone, or multiple someones, screwed up.

Edit: basically he should not reach 6 so there is no way he reaches 10.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Jerry views Pitts as his second chance at drafting Randy Moss I bet. NO WAY in hell will he pass him up at 10 if he is there. ZERO CHANCE.

I considered drafting CeeDee last year as Jerry's 2nd chance at a Randy Moss.

CWR

Reaction score
It's all about the situation and the scheme they go to. Put a great TE with a great QB and a great offensive minded coach and you will get magic. Sean Peyton with Brees and Graham all those years.. Gates with Rivers and a dozen coaches.. Gronk and Brady now at two stops. Witten doesn't become Witten if he's playing for Rex Ryan and the Jets.. Tight end is risky for a lot of the reasons WR is.. it's a dependent position. Very very few can succeed regardless of what crap they have to play with at QB or how dumb the coach is. All the people hanging off of Kelce and Kittle's .. er.. equipment might want to take note of the fact that both were 24 year old 5th year senior types entering the league.. and STILL had next to zero impact as rooks. Pitts will have played 4 games before he turns 21.. And neither of them went off like Pitts did in college. He's just a different kinda cat. That kind of upside would be hard to pass on. But again, it's about potential impact. Can the Cowboys use him? I just don't know.. If it was Garrett and that bunch I'd lean towards no.. but McCarthy has at least shown a willingness to do something other than use tight ends as goal line blockers. Moore I can't really tell because he was kinda stuck with old man Witt in 2019 and in 2020 when he was going to get a chance to use Jarwin as a stretch the field tight end he lost him in week one and was kinda in scramble mode the rest of the season. Schultz was a pleasant surprise but he did nothing to make me think I got a future all pro out there... I go back and forth.. I love Pitts but I have this recurring nightmare of him getting in the doghouse and being glued to the bench because he's not a pancake blocker here.

I think you can say that with a lot of positions, in particular on the offensive side of the ball. Look what Romo did for Laurent Robinson. I always thought Steven Jackson would've been awesome (HOF type awesome) anywhere but the Rams where he completely carried them for most his career. Plus it pissed me off when Parcells and JJ passed on him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think you can say that with a lot of positions, in particular on the offensive side of the ball. Look what Romo did for Laurent Robinson. I always thought Steven Jackson would've been awesome (HOF type awesome) anywhere but the Rams where he completely carried them for most his career. Plus it pissed me off when Parcells and JJ passed on him.

Yeah it takes a truly special talent to shine in spite of circumstances. Them guys don't come out in the draft every year no matter what Kiper and McShay try to peddle to us. I see Pitts as that kind of talent.. Selfishly I want us to draft him because he has been so much fun to watch at Florida, especially after Trask replaced Franks, I just want to continue watching him for 10 more years. As for the Steven Jackson thing.. I really didn't mind it too much until Parcells started screwing with Julius Jones' running style.. That kid should have had a long and productive career (like his brother) but after a couple of years Parcells' mind games had him trying to run like Barber.. only he wasn't Barber.. and his running style was better suited to be the every down back anyway.. Barber's style pretty much guaranteed he would have a brief career. Julius should have been a 1200 yard back for us for 10 years. But once he lost his mojo from those first two or three borderline spectacular seasons he was toast. I do find it ironic that the Cowboys managed to screw up both guys to the point where both were done by age 28. Simply amazing.

Reactions: CWR

starfan1

Reaction score
He should be the first non QB off the board. ANYONE who picks any non QB over him is going to be looking at themselves in a year regretting that pick. BPA is nice and all but if a talent is this good you do not pass that up. If he is available at 6, then someone, or multiple someones, screwed up.

Edit: basically he should not reach 6 so there is no way he reaches 10.
My guess is at #5 cincy will take Sewell as the first non QB but I’m not certain 4 QBs will be the first picks but you could be right

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Drafting a RT isn’t exciting.

but it’s what we need to do.

we don’t have a player at RT if Collins is out.

CoachD

Reaction score
Uh duuurrrrrr.... genius, the other side of this is the liability he becomes in blocking situations.
Imagine if we lined up Amari Cooper at TE and then had people dumb enough to come here and brag about his receptions from the TE position.

I’m sure this will go right over your head.

Son I've forgot more football than you'll ever know and fantasy football idiots like yourself have no clue when it comes to talent.

superonyx

Reaction score
Son I've forgot more football than you'll ever know and fantasy football idiots like yourself have no clue when it comes to talent.
Thats the best comeback you have I see.
Come stronger next time.

KB1122

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a tight end who does more than run down the field nine yards and turn around for once.