It's not my team anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People like us have seen pro football evolve from a real sport built on the concept of the best man wins to a Hollywood Extravaganza and everyone gets a trophy mentality and with one primary theme in mind, make more money

Truth is coach it's not you, it is just not as fun as it used to be thanks to way too many rules, all the rules that are in place now most of them the refs can't even figure out anymore, some are very good and needed rules "protect against concussions" but others are not, also and most importantly the NFL has given referees too much power over the game with very little transparency. There needs to be some changes and there will be but it will never be the organization it once was. there will be many that will be fine with the new NFL.

Havic

Reaction score
I have slowly lost interest with not only the team but with the NFL in general. The football played today is equivalent to Arena Football. Bunch of high scoring contests where almost every record is broken. Football is for entertainment purposes only and is no longer a team sport. Just a bunch of individuals playing for their next contract with themselves coming first + their brand and the team second.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

when they go 6-2 the first 8 games you will be right there again.

ESisback

Reaction score

I get what you mean, but for me, it never was MY team. I like (liked) the uniform, individual players and coaches and games, the fellow fans, and the memories attached to each. As for the change, that includes everything. Everything evolves, and society, alas, has changed too. Getting older has something to do with it too. Only a handful of things TRULY matter anymore—family, friends, home and hearth, love and laughter—football is just a hobby anymore.

slick325

Reaction score

Great post CouchCoach. As years continue to pass, I find myself feeling exactly how you ended your post..."It is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team."

kskboys

Reaction score

Ouch. I think you may be spot on.

Maybe that's why, for the first time in my life, I sometimes end up laughing when we lose. Why? Because of the way we lose. We lose due to problems that are glaring(Like not being able to stop the run, poor S play, etc), stuff that we have pointed out because it's so obvious, but Jerry continues to ignore.

blueblood70

Reaction score
[QUOTE="CouchCoach, post: 11853463, member: 39141

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.[/QUOTE]

it was never your team fans that think that are delusional and would need more then 140mil try 5billion....so besides the economical like posts fans make using the word WE when decrcisibig their teams well it never was. you said it

it is still my favorite NFL team

that all it ever was!!

anything more are delusional fans who believe they are part of it and somehow know more than a huge corporate ownership group with an army of employees to run it that 100% know more about running team then fanbase with keyboard and google..

but i glad you woke up and realizes being fan is al you are and all you ever should have been ie you follow it as one of your favorite teams, thats all a fans responsibility is. Watch games, debate games with other fans..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Coach, I am with you. I am still a cowboys fan, but I have lost my frevent passion about the team. this year, I just don't care. I don't follow. I am not even excited about the draft or mini camp or anything. I probably won't watch many games or go out of my way to watch. I absolutely don't care if we win or lose. I won't get excited or mad. it is what it is and it will not change..... its just that after so many times as you said, wash, rinse, repeat of the same thing, same team I don't believe them any more. how many careers have Jones' ruined. Witten, Ware, Romo, Martin, Smith and on and on and on.

I don't trust Jerry. I don't believe Jerry. I don't trust Stephen, I don't believe stephen. this team is not about winning. this team is about profits. and in that they have done great for themselves. not the fans.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
when they go 6-2 the first 8 games you will be right there again.
I will not. because we all have seen that movie, several times. we know in the end they will collapse. we know they may be just, I mean just good enough to maybe maybe win one playoff game, only to get blown away the next. this team may not be just about talent. its that this team never has the right mind set. every player that has left this team says, that Dallas is not about winning, its a country club. its a show. its about how it looks. its about selling more. not winning more.

kskboys

Reaction score
Coach, I am with you. I am still a cowboys fan, but I have lost my frevent passion about the team. this year, I just don't care. I don't follow. I am not even excited about the draft or mini camp or anything. I probably won't much many games or go out of my way to watch. its just that after so many times as you said, wash, rinse, repeat of the same thing, same team I don't believe them any more. how many careers have Jones' ruined. Witten, Ware, Romo, Martin, Smith and on and on and on.

I don't trust Jerry. I don't believe Jerry. I don't trust Stephen, I don't believe stephen. this team is not about winning. this team is about profits. and in that they have done great for themselves. not the fans.
I generally don't hate anyone, but I absolutely abhor what Jerry has done to my team. And yes, I have earned the right to call it my team by being a loyal fan for over 50 yrs.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Coach,
Very well written.
I feel a lot of the same way.
I think also the knowledge that this team is fundamentally flawed also contributes.
When you know you are never going to really have a chance of winning the SB, it takes the bloom off before the season ever starts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What JJ and so many modern NFL owners fail to understand is that what made the NFL great was not that it was “a great product” that can be marketed and made more glamorous. It is more fundamental than that.

The game of football is at its core a team gladiator sport and each team is supported by a community of fans who have identified with its team and feel as if they are a part of it in some way.

I watched the Cowboys go from an expansion team nobody to America’s Team in less than 2 decades and it didn’t happen because of how well they were marketed. The Cowboys became so popular by being fun to watch and by winning a ton of games that mattered before anyone had even heard of Jerry Jones.

What JJ also fails to understand is if he sold the team tomorrow, whoever bought it would make a ton of money even if all they did was delegate responsibility and write checks. The Cowboys were America’s team a decade before Jerry Jones ever touched them.

The Cowboys are still a popular team in spite of the Jones cartel. Not because of them.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Coach I couldn’t have said this better. The way I tell the difference was when The Catch happened I flipped a TV tray as an 11 yr old. I used to physically feel depressed after losses. I started losing that connection the Garrett years. JG sucked the life out of me where I still was into the games but went on with life if we lost. I too feel like the Jones family treats fans like they’re stupid. Overall it’s an apathy where I still am obviously here and following but my “do or die” attitude left.

nobody

Reaction score
True, I don't think he knows how much he has alienated the fans, especially us long time fans.

I think he knows how much he alienated a lot of the fans...but he doesn't care. Why? Because of the casual fans that attend anyway...and the corporations that buy seats and hand them out to employees. And the former fans who keep their season tickets and sell their seats to opposing team fans. Jerry's making his money, why should he care if he alienates fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.