It's not too late for a Steele extention

CCBoy

Reaction score
...Steele, 25, is a homegrown success story in Dallas. The UDFA from Texas Tech started at the bottom of the food chain in 2020 . All he did in the years since is rise from one of the worst OTs in the league (PFF graded him as 76 of 79), to one of the best young tackles on the planet (graded as 23rd best OT in 2022).

Steele’s 2022 breakout season unfortunately came to a premature end when he suffered an ACL injury on December 11. Expected to be fully recovered in time for training camp, the Cowboys retained their restricted free agent for the 2023 season on a second-round tender.

At a cost of $4,304,000 Steele is one of the better bargains on the roster. Given his age and the value of offensive tackles today, he’d likely command almost three times as much on the open market. And if the Cowboys wait until 2024 to re-sign him, that’s likely what he’ll demand...

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/28/cowboys-terence-steele-contract-situation/

CCBoy

Reaction score
That is a part of the evaluation equation that gets overlooked by many, work ethic.
Doesn't matter where you were drafted, undrafted, work ethic can separate you quickly from drafted underachievers.
"Whatever the coaches decide is the right thing, that's what's gonna happen," Ball said. "If that opportunity arises, that'd be great, but whatever I can do to help the team."

Despite the many names around the carousel, there is a high confidence in the offensive line living up to what the group has accomplished in recent years to protect Dak Prescott. It's something that each has attributed to the camaraderie in the room, including the only newcomer in Edoga.

"They have a real close-knit room, I'm the only new guy," Edoga said. "They did a good job accepting me and bringing me along. Whoever is up there playing, we'll have a great five."
The competition in the room has been fierce, but each candidate would tell you that it's been healthy and it will only help improve the overall product up front in 2023 and beyond.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/left-guard-candidates-sound-off-on-competition

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
...Steele, 25, is a homegrown success story in Dallas. The UDFA from Texas Tech started at the bottom of the food chain in 2020 . All he did in the years since is rise from one of the worst OTs in the league (PFF graded him as 76 of 79), to one of the best young tackles on the planet (graded as 23rd best OT in 2022).

Steele’s 2022 breakout season unfortunately came to a premature end when he suffered an ACL injury on December 11. Expected to be fully recovered in time for training camp, the Cowboys retained their restricted free agent for the 2023 season on a second-round tender.

At a cost of $4,304,000 Steele is one of the better bargains on the roster. Given his age and the value of offensive tackles today, he’d likely command almost three times as much on the open market. And if the Cowboys wait until 2024 to re-sign him, that’s likely what he’ll demand...

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/28/cowboys-terence-steele-contract-situation/
So breaking down that article, it's suggestion that we low ball Steele paying $8- $10m per rather than the market rate which they predict is more like $12m and even suggested it's on a short term extension.

This is the scenario when every chip is being saved up to ensure we cab afford Dak and our other stars. It's interesting to see take on Steele as opposed to the threads:
a) Discussing whether a QB should take a hometown discount for the sake of success, and
b) Tyron's 6 plays in the 9'ers game....which many fans pointed to as a contributory reason for the defeat

We appear to be HOPING that Steele and Digg's agents arent as tough as France.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So breaking down that article, it's suggestion that we low ball Steele paying $8- $10m per rather than the market rate which they predict is more like $12m and even suggested it's on a short term extension.

This is the scenario when every chip is being saved up to ensure we cab afford Dak and our other stars. It's interesting to see take on Steele as opposed to the threads:
a) Discussing whether a QB should take a hometown discount for the sake of success, and
b) Tyron's 6 plays in the 9'ers game....which many fans pointed to as a contributory reason for the defeat

I can't find a niche in the management/coaches/scouts that is letting any part of the whole franchise would fall into that wasn't just a fate issue and a product of a vicious monster lurking the team. I feel that Steele is appreciative of being made into a fine product by the Dallas Cowboys. From nowhere, I feel he is thankful for being part of the Dallas Cowboys. He still hasn't earned a show in the Pro Bowl, yet.

Oh, Diggs will be top of market...

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd first like to see how he plays coming off that injury. Then pay him accordingly. If they can.

Diggs is probably getting 16-18M per. His market value is listed at 15.4M. We're not seeing anything lower than that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Of course not. They can extend him whenever they want all the way through the season.

I hope they do. Steele is good. Very hard worker which is why he has improved
So much.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have lost their starting left guard in two consecutive offseasons in Connor Williams and Connor McGovern. Both were relatively high draft picks as well (2nd and 3rd round), which is disheartening. Now pinning your hopes on late-round draft picks rebounding from injury or players being moved to a new position isn't very encouraging.Talk me off the ledge please.Thanks!– Rob Riggieri/Rutland, MA

Nick Eatman:
I'm not sure left guard should put anyone to the ledge. Not saying it's not important but if the Cowboys aren't too worried about it, I wouldn't either. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to put Tyler Smith inside if it means getting the best five out there together. And so if Tyron Smith and Terence Steele are healthy in the regular season, I do think Tyler is the best option at left guard. But if they don't do that, there's some solid options such as Chuma Edoga, who apparently had turned the corner last year before he got hurt. There's also Matt Farniok who started some games last year and he could factor into the mix. There might be some rookies who could compete for playing time. But ultimately, I think Tyler Smith is a fallback plan that doesn't have them too worried.

Mickey: Well, first of all, there is a salary cap. And every player can't be paid a big contract, and those two guys played well enough to sign more lucrative contracts with other teams than the Cowboys could afford. Plus, you are already paying one guard (Zack Martin) top dollar. As I like to say, you can't put a steak on every plate for every meal. On top of that, you have position priority with the salary cap, and I'm guessing no one has ever said, why we would have won the Super Bowl if we had a better guard. To manage the cap teams must develop young players. As our colleague Nate Newton likes to say, you just got to play these young guys. So, the Cowboys signed Chuma Edoga for some veteran-type insurance at left guard. Now we'll see what guys such as Matt Farniok and Josh Ball can do. There is always give and take. My question back to you would be, would you rather have re-signed your two leading tacklers from last year, Donovan Wilson and Leighton Vander Esch, or retained Connor McGovern? Keep an eye on this Farniok guy. Think he has something.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-reason-for-concern-at-left-guard

conner01

Reaction score
That is a part of the evaluation equation that gets overlooked by many, work ethic.
Doesn't matter where you were drafted, undrafted, work ethic can separate you quickly from drafted underachievers.
So true and so hard to judge
The great ones work their butts off to get better and better

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's not too late for a Steele extention​

tenor.gif

Flamma

Reaction score
So true and so hard to judge
The great ones work their butts off to get better and better
Almost impossible to judge unless you know the person throughout their life. Even the laziest of us will work hard towards a goal. Once that goal is achieved, then what? What is their motivation going forward?

In the world of boxing there's a good example. Buster Douglas. He worked hard to get to the point that he was good enough to be Mike Tyson. Once he got 24M to fight Holyfield, the Buster that showed up against Tyson, was not the fighter that showed up against Holyfield. We see it in football players too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Almost impossible to judge unless you know the person throughout their life. Even the laziest of us will work hard towards a goal. Once that goal is achieved, then what? What is their motivation going forward?

In the world of boxing there's a good example. Buster Douglas. He worked hard to get to the point that he was good enough to be Mike Tyson. Once he got 24M to fight Holyfield, the Buster that showed up against Tyson, was not the fighter that showed up against Holyfield. We see it in football players too.
Being part of a team is more demanding...

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Get the kid signed. He’s home grown and was playing very well prior to his injury.
The line was never the same after he got hurt.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I guess you could say Steele was a "steal"....he does deserve his pay day in order to keep this OL developing. Martin is in his last tank of gas, TSmith is running on empty and Biadasz needs a bit more HP. Really need the tenderfoots to come through.

Includes Lindstrom, Richards, Bostick Jr., Bass, and then Farniok to pick it up a notch.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I guess you could say Steele was a "steal"....he does deserve his pay day in order to keep this OL developing. Martin is in his last tank of gas, TSmith is running on empty and Biadasz needs a bit more HP. Really need the tenderfoots to come through.

Includes Lindstrom, Richards, Bostick Jr., Bass, and then Farniok to pick it up a notch.
Potential OL don't grow on trees, we hang on to Steele.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Having France as his agent is the only part of Dak I truly despise. If Dak refuses to take a discount to help keep key players (especially those who block and protect him) like Terence Steele, Jerry & Stephen need to draft Dak's replacement next year with their 1st round pick. It's not good for the team to be held hostage and be made to sacrifice keeping key players just because your veteran QB and his agent continue to be greedy. F that. Get rid of such greediness!

conner01

Reaction score

If we could figure out how to keep that fire going we could get very rich lol

gtb1943

Reaction score
Steele is not all that. Yes he is excellent at run blocking but only average as a Pass Blocker and we all know how important THAT is for a tackle.

Best young RT? hardly.

Now you can win with him if you give him help against top pass rushers. So he is manageable. But not worth anywhere near $12 million a year.