It's official: Brady will test free agency

Legend

Reaction score
Why would anyone want Brady? He has nowhere to go but down and at his age, the decline would be sharp and fast. It has already begun and is likely to be lightning quick.

If Jerry and co. don't want to pay Dak, I'd much rather start over via draft or a younger FA than cling to a 43 year-old Brady.
Two reasons. Brady can teach the Cowboys how to prepare and take care of business during the regular season. I.e., get priorities in order.

Then he can teach them how to compete in the playoffs with the goal of winning championships.

Charles Haley helped the 1992 Cowboys prepare, practice, and play like champions since he already experienced 2 SB victories previously.

Brady has been to 9 SBs with 6 victories. Both more than the Dallas Cowboys have ever accomplished.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's for the other team to figure out, isn't it?

Did the Texans trade for the rights to Laremy Tunsil with no guarantees that they can sign him? Yes they did. Did Dallas with Cooper? Yes they did. And the Rams just gave up two 1st for Jalen Ramsey. With no guarantees.

Did you forget the Eagles considered doing this exact thing with Nick Foles last year?

Incorrect. As I mentioned, the deal with Brady would have to already be agreed to and just awaiting the trade of the franchise-tagged player.

Stash.......NONE the above players were few months from free agency. They all had at least a year or two left on their contracts. In fact, I'm not sure the franchise tag was an issue with any either as it certainly would be with any trade involving Dak. My point is I'm not disagreeing it can happen, just that franchise tag gives Dak and his agent some leverage involving a trade. Don't expect them to make it easy......unless they are getting what want. That's what I'm saying....

Dunks3001

Reaction score
Yea he still may return to NE but I think he seriously considers the Raiders or Chargers. My dark horse is he goes to the Colts

Legend

Reaction score
Dak is younger and tougher than brady, but brady can read defenses at the line. I would be tempted to sign Brady and pair him with Zeke.
If Brady signed with Dallas; Gronk if possible would probably join him.

Imagine Brady, Cooper, Gallup, Gronk, Cobb (or someone similar), and Zeke on offense.

With that offense; I do not know how opposing defenses would try to stop it.

Silly

Reaction score
Why would anyone want Brady? He has nowhere to go but down and at his age, the decline would be sharp and fast. It has already begun and is likely to be lightning quick.

If Jerry and co. don't want to pay Dak, I'd much rather start over via draft or a younger FA than cling to a 43 year-old Brady.

I don't know. Brady didn't get any help in the titans playoff game. Also, his contract would or should be a shorter term.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stats.......NONE the above players were few months from free agency. They all had at least a year or two left on their contracts. In fact, I'm not sure the franchise tag was an issue with any either as it certainly would be with any trade involving Dak. My point is I'm not disagreeing it can happen, just that franchise tag gives Dak and his agent some leverage involving a trade. Don't expect them to make it easy......unless they are getting what want. That's what I'm saying....

Of course, the team trading for him would have to be amenable to the contract demands of he and his agent. Certainly if they're giving the Cowboys substantial draft compensation.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
If Brady signed with Dallas; Gronk if possible would probably join him.

Imagine Brady, Cooper, Gallup, Gronk, Cobb (or someone similar), and Zeke on offense.

With that offense; I do not know how opposing defenses would try to stop it.
If I'm not mistaken, New England has Gronk's rights, so he couldn't just join the Cowboys.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Didn't he say he hated the Cowboys since he was in the womb?

I think it is all about keeping his name out there. What can you get there of high interest than associating stories about you with the Cowboys

:cool:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t think Brady is going anywhere I believe he’ll sign a one or two year deal. New England has no proven QB behind him. It’s not like they have someone groomed who’s ready to take over. I’ll be somewhat shocked if Brady signs with someone else.

shabazz

Reaction score
A lot of you are gonna be disappointed.

Very few will be, actually. Just reading posts prior to today's announcement and in this thread paint a very different picture. Most believe Brady is over the hill and if we are to get a new QB, we dont want Brady, Rivers or any other has-been's. Straw man argument at best

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I've been critical of Dak lately but I would stick with him instead of signing Brady. Brady is pretty much done in my opinion. He can still be a decent QB but his GOAT days are behind him.

mardwin

Reaction score
If you brought in Brady, I don't think it would be for backup duty.
I imagine Brady might have enough left in the tank with good offensive line and weapons.

HOWEVER...that means you lose Dak.

You can't trade him unless you sign and trade or do the tag situation and someone agrees to terms.

And even if you did do that, you would have to hope for a good QB prospect to draft because Tom at best only has a couple years left in him if that.

Either way I doubt you would have both on your roster at the same time.

I take Brady over Dak any day of the week with a decent running game, receivers, and OL.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Brady is so old that it's literally uncharted territory for an NFL QB. He had a down year in 2019 and it's easy to blame his age, but the Patriots ALSO basically went to hell on offense all at once for reasons unrelated to Brady (Gronk gone, Edelman hobbled, Sanu hurt, Harry looks like a bust, Michel regressed badly, OL injuries, AB meltdown...) so maybe he has another year of at least 2018 level play in him.

I suspect Brady is holding out for the perfect scenario (think Manning going to a loaded Broncos team for his 2013-2015), or at least a team that's loaded on offense so he can squeeze out another worthwhile year. I don't see the Cowboys making that move and I'm not sure that the Cowboys meet Brady's criteria (though McCarthy has to look way better than Jason "QB career waster" Garret.)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks *2020 Tom Brady* is a clear upgrade over Dak should have their head examined.

It's more then just who is better.

If Tom wants more money then Dak then you go with Dak.

I think Tom won't want as much and you don't have to sign up long term.

Then you can go QB shopping again in a few years and get a guy for 5 years on a rookie deal if you draft in the 1st round.

If the Jones's do sign Brady they do need to go all in like Denver did with Manning and not make these conservative roster decisions that lead to mediocrity.