It's Only Mock Believe

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
So I feel inclined yet again to become a Couch GM and pretend to wield incredible power. You are free to picture me as Gomez Addams blowing up his toy trains.

Gomez-s-Train-Wreck-addams-family-5704531-400-300.jpg

So, the wheels are spinning. You probably can smell the smoke if you take a deep breath.

Dallas is on the clock at #27 and the phone rings. It's Buffalo and they want a QB. Deja vu with Losman. They offer #41 and #72 for #27 so they can take Tim Tebow. I accept the offer, hang up the phone and laugh my rear end off. I remember that I fired that guy for a reason.

2. #41...Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida, 6'3", 255. While I am not Spikes biggest fan I cannot deny his potential. Very high ceiling for this player if he is properly motivated and I think Reggie Herring is the guy who can do that along with learning from Keith Brooking. Great value at this point.

2. #59...Vladimir Ducasse, OG, UMass, 6'5", 335. A massive man with a mean streak. Will be groomed as Kosier's eventual replacement and provide a bookend for Leonard Davis. OL depth is vital. Ducasse begins making that happen.

The phone rings. Cincinnati is offering us their 3rd round choice (#84) for Martellus Bennett. Due to the development of John Phillips and the depth of this draft at TE, I swing the deal.

3. #72...Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona, 6'6", 260. Okay, I admit it, I made that trade just so I can take this kid. I think he is going to be much better than Bennett because of his motor. When he has the ball he is nearly impossible to bring down. DBs bounce off of him or he drags them along until help arrives or he crosses the goal line.

3. #84...Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale, 6'8", 325. Say hello to Doug Free's future bookend OT. He will be groomed to LT behind Flozell Adams and Free to RT. Brewster will project to OG. His athleticism is through the roof, so is his head because he is so big. Great feet for a man this big. A huge plus against speed rushers and his size will give him huge power advantages.

3. #91...Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri, 6'5", 220. A chain mover who is quite simply a physical freak who will provide mismatches against smaller DBs. In 2009 this guy's stats jumped out of the stratosphere. 113 catches, for 1781 yards and 14 scores. I admit to pet cat here, but I think very much worth it.

The phone rings. Detroit, frustrated that it has not found the RB they want calls us and offers their 4th round pick (#98) for Marion Barber. Wanting to make Choice the primary guy and give more carries to him and Jones equally, I make the trade.

4. #98...Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP, 6'1", 205. We have 3 solid CBs, but depth is vital in the ever growing pass oriented NFL. This pick's primary focus however will be on Kick and Punt Returns. 29.7 yards per Kick Return and 12.5 per Punt Return and 5 scores. We need better field position when we receive Kicks and Punts.

4. #123...Major Wright, FS, Florida, 6'1", 205. He will need to add a little bulk, but there is no denying his ball skills as a Center Fielder. Has 4.5 speed and is a solid tackler. For 2 straight years he has had great success in pickoffs and passes defensed. Good on blitzes as well.

The phone rings. Cleveland is on the phone offering a 5th round pick (#131) for Patrick Crayton. Believing in the maturation of Ogletree and liking the acquisition earlier in Alexander, plus wanting a 5th round pick, I make the deal.

5. #131...LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon, 6'1", 245. Meet our short yardage RB and possible late game battering ram. If he had not lost his head at a taunting Boise State player his stock would be much higher than this. He did, so it isn't, but that doesn't reduce his talent one iota. I believe Blount is a good kid who lost his head one day. He has lead back talent in him.

6. #187...John Estes, C, Hawaii, 6'2", 305. The depth worries on OL are over. Estes is a Kevin Mawae clone. He is nasty and relentless. He will get better and better as he adapts to the NFL. Plays in a pass happy Offense, but is better as a run blocker than people realize.

7. #219...Cory Jackson, FB, Maryland, 6'1", 245. Cricket may have cooked his goose. Julius Croslin and Asaph Schwapp did not seem to have the team's faith even though I liked the ninja. Good value for a possible team need. Is a very solid blocker and picks up bltizes well.

The Draft is over and these guys are UDFAs I ink immediately to deals.
  • Aleric Mullins, DE, North Carolina, 6'3", 295. Runs a 5.0 forty. There's talent there to be tapped. Could potentially play NT too.
  • Brandon Banks, WR, Kansas State, 5'7", 155. His height makes him invisible. His speed and production make him worth a roll of the dice.
  • Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington, 6'2", 220. Our next Tony Romo. Accurate, great leadership, and time to groom.
  • A Kicker. I don't care who. I will hate him anyway, but if I don't have one someone will point out that our kicking game sucks. Duh, Kickers suck. I won't mind if we give 2 or 3 guys shots as long as we get it fixed. I personally think Folk will be back.
Here come the trains, I take the switch in my hands and boom.

Opinions always welcome. Next time I may be a mad scientist.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nice

regarding Blount, that wasn't his only incident, I was reading the forums on NFLDraftCountdown.com and apparently he's gotten into fights or a fight with teammates

but with a low round draft choice, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him and hoping he matures

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I needs me a train set.:laugh2:

How did we end up with #59, last years trade?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3275211 said:
I needs me a train set.:laugh2:

How did we end up with #59, last years trade?
See your thread asking about the pick #'s.

:wink2:

Bigdog

Reaction score
Hostile;3275196 said:
So I feel inclined yet again to become a Couch GM and pretend to wield incredible power. You are free to picture me as Gomez Addams blowing up his toy trains.

So, the wheels are spinning. You probably can smell the smoke if you take a deep breath.

Dallas is on the clock at #27 and the phone rings. It's Buffalo and they want a QB. Deja vu with Losman. They offer #41 and #72 for #27 so they can take Tim Tebow. I accept the offer, hang up the phone and laugh my rear end off. I remember that I fired that guy for a reason.

2. #41...Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida, 6'3", 255. While I am not Spikes biggest fan I cannot deny his potential. Very high ceiling for this player if he is properly motivated and I think Reggie Herring is the guy who can do that along with learning from Keith Brooking. Great value at this point.

2. #59...Vladimir Ducasse, OG, UMass, 6'5", 335. A massive man with a mean streak. Will be groomed as Kosier's eventual replacement and provide a bookend for Leonard Davis. OL depth is vital. Ducasse begins making that happen.

The phone rings. Cincinnati is offering us their 3rd round choice (#84) for Martellus Bennett. Due to the development of John Phillips and the depth of this draft at TE, I swing the deal.

3. #72...Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona, 6'6", 260. Okay, I admit it, I made that trade just so I can take this kid. I think he is going to be much better than Bennett because of his motor. When he has the ball he is nearly impossible to bring down. DBs bounce off of him or he drags them along until help arrives or he crosses the goal line.

3. #84...Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale, 6'8", 325. Say hello to Doug Free's future bookend OT. He will be groomed to LT behind Flozell Adams and Free to RT. Brewster will project to OG. His athleticism is through the roof, so is his head because he is so big. Great feet for a man this big. A huge plus against speed rushers and his size will give him huge power advantages.

3. #91...Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri, 6'5", 220. A chain mover who is quite simply a physical freak who will provide mismatches against smaller DBs. In 2009 this guy's stats jumped out of the stratosphere. 113 catches, for 1781 yards and 14 scores. I admit to pet cat here, but I think very much worth it.

The phone rings. Detroit, frustrated that it has not found the RB they want calls us and offers their 4th round pick (#98) for Marion Barber. Wanting to make Choice the primary guy and give more carries to him and Jones equally, I make the trade.

4. #98...Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP, 6'1", 205. We have 3 solid CBs, but depth is vital in the ever growing pass oriented NFL. This pick's primary focus however will be on Kick and Punt Returns. 29.7 yards per Kick Return and 12.5 per Punt Return and 5 scores. We need better field position when we receive Kicks and Punts.

4. #123...Major Wright, FS, Florida, 6'1", 205. He will need to add a little bulk, but there is no denying his ball skills as a Center Fielder. Has 4.5 speed and is a solid tackler. For 2 straight years he has had great success in pickoffs and passes defensed. Good on blitzes as well.

The phone rings. Cleveland is on the phone offering a 5th round pick (#131) for Patrick Crayton. Believing in the maturation of Ogletree and liking the acquisition earlier in Alexander, plus wanting a 5th round pick, I make the deal.

5. #131...LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon, 6'1", 245. Meet our short yardage RB and possible late game battering ram. If he had not lost his head at a taunting Boise State player his stock would be much higher than this. He did, so it isn't, but that doesn't reduce his talent one iota. I believe Blount is a good kid who lost his head one day. He has lead back talent in him.

6. #187...John Estes, C, Hawaii, 6'2", 305. The depth worries on OL are over. Estes is a Kevin Mawae clone. He is nasty and relentless. He will get better and better as he adapts to the NFL. Plays in a pass happy Offense, but is better as a run blocker than people realize.

7. #219...Cory Jackson, FB, Maryland, 6'1", 245. Cricket may have cooked his goose. Julius Croslin and Asaph Schwapp did not seem to have the team's faith even though I liked the ninja. Good value for a possible team need. Is a very solid blocker and picks up bltizes well.

• Aleric Mullins, DE, North Carolina, 6'3", 295. Runs a 5.0 forty. There's talent there to be tapped. Could potentially play NT too.
  • Brandon Banks, WR, Kansas State, 5'7", 155. His height makes him invisible. His speed and production make him worth a roll of the dice.
  • Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington, 6'2", 220. Our next Tony Romo. Accurate, great leadership, and time to groom.
  • A Kicker. I don't care who. I will hate him anyway, but if I don't have one someone will point out that our kicking game sucks. Duh, Kickers suck. I won't mind if we give 2 or 3 guys shots as long as we get it fixed. I personally think Folk will be back.

at 41 I would pick Pouncy from FLA due his versatility. I am not a big fan of Spikes and I really want a good versatile lineman.

batman36

Reaction score
Nicely done, Hos. In your scenario, is Brewster dept, or battling a starter? I like the Spikes pick as well. Really think a big run stuffing LB with attitude is what this defense could use.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
:bow:

You know one of those teams in the 33-40 range are going to want to move up and grab a QB before another team does.

Spikes,Ducasse,Alexander and Veldheer in one draft?

Hi Championship runs for the next 5 years.

rockj7

Reaction score
Hostile;3275196 said:

As Dash 28 said this Draft would be like Christmas morning
Hos get on the horn to VR I love this draft might catch some lip but getting ride of Barber Marty B and Crayton I am all in on this

The Realist

Reaction score
Nice draft.

Make it Carlton Mitchell WR instead of Alexander and it's a homerun.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
With the Blount pick, are you thinking they'll trade/release one of the other RB's on the roster, or do you see Blount as a PS player? Sorry, never mind. Skipped over the Barber trade scenario.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just something to consider with the Bengals offering a trade pick for Marty B scenario. I think I have seen the idea brought up in other threads or various posts.

One must remember the only reason they were offering a trade for a high pick, a medium pick a pick and a player or whatever the real offer was as I have heard multiple scenarios....the reason they were doing that is because they had major injury issues with their top 2-4 TEs. I would imagine when this draft rolls around they will have some healthy TEs and if not they can just draft one.

So I don't know about any scenario that involves the bengals again offering a good trade to us for Marty B.

Just something to consider for anyone thinking about making mocks involving the bengals giving us a pick for Marty.

This is not last year where the bengals were in training camp/pre-season and losing TE's left and right.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3275659 said:
once I see the word "groom" I can no longer continue to read a post.
Groom.

That is an utterly ridiculous stance. It is a shame you won't see this commentary due to your unique phobia.

Was it a bad marriage or a bad haircut? Oh look, I'm asking someone who can't see this or won't read it.

Did you know if you step on a crack you won't really break your Mama's back? I know, I know, you won't see that either, but this quirk gives me a chance to use so many goofy jokes.

Actually I have no idea what you said because I can't stand to see the word "once." It makes me think of fairy tales and I am scared of them. There's always a wicked stepmother. Actually I just lied to you. I stop reading at the word "once" because I kicked this guy named Danny Vermin in the balls once. Once...

Can I borrow 20 dollars that I won't ever pay back?

ethiostar

Reaction score
Hostile;3275762 said:
Groom.

That is an utterly ridiculous stance. It is a shame you won't see this commentary due to your unique phobia.

Was it a bad marriage or a bad haircut? Oh look, I'm asking someone who can't see this or won't read it.

Did you know if you step on a crack you won't really break your Mama's back? I know, I know, you won't see that either, but this quirk gives me a chance to use so many goofy jokes.

Actually I have no idea what you said because I can't stand to see the word "once." It makes me think of fairy tales and I am scared of them. There's always a wicked stepmother. Actually I just lied to you. I stop reading at the word "once" because I kicked this guy named Danny Vermin in the balls once. Once...

Can I borrow 20 dollars that I won't ever pay back?

:laugh1: