It's time to trade Ellis and Glover and get while the getting's good

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Both of these guys have no future on the Cowboys defense. People are just holding on to fading memories when thinking about them making any kind of dent in our new 3-4. It's hard not to admire them, because they've been such stand up guys for the team, but they're both 4-3 guys in the truest sense, who provide decent depth for a 3-4, but it's pointless to sit them on the bench when they make millions a year, and we could probably get something nice in return if we traded them now. If big guys like Ferguson and Spears go down and we have to depend on Glover and Ellis full-time, the season is over anyways.

If we can get something for Pete Hunter, we can definitely get something for Ellis and Glover. Parcells is just going to hurt himself keeping these guys who still have quality starts in their system on the bench. Don't give me this stuff about them whining either because no one wants to sit on the bench when they are still productive players. Parcells risk losing the team when he upsets guys like Ellis and Glover.

It makes so much sense to trade them, and I'm amazed Jones and Parcells didn't start looking immediately after that 3-4 draft.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
You would think that the 3-4 is a COMPLETE success before we've even ran it in TRAINING CAMP and that Glover has NO previous success in the 3-4 AND that we would never run another DOWN of 4-3 to agree with what this guy is saying....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Glover went to the probowl playing in the 3-4 at NO.

I am still not buying the assertion that i am repeatedly spoon fed about Ellis is too small.

Just because Ellis doesnt like the fact that he wont get as many sacks in the 3-4 doesnt mean that he cannot perform the duties well.

Finally and one point that I see completely ignored is that both of these players were repeatedly double teamed in the 4-3. Are they now going to be triple teamed?

Reaction score
cannonball44 said:
You would think that the 3-4 is a COMPLETE success before we've even ran it in TRAINING CAMP and that Glover has NO previous success in the 3-4 AND that we would never run another DOWN of 4-3 to agree with what this guy is saying....

I agree wholeheartedly with this observation! Let's see what is going down by the time training camp ends.......... :shake:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Here's the thing, regardless of how you fellas think Glover and Ellis will work in a 3-4, Parcells has already decided they won't. Someone posted the number of plays Ellis would be in there, and it would TINY. We're not talking the same rotation on the dline that took the Cowboys to the Super Bowl in the 90's, we're talking these guys are basically bench warmers if the rookies pan out. I think we should get something now instead of waiting for them to get pissed, cause some controversy, and then trade them for next to nothing. We did this with Antonio Bryant, we should have traded him the day after the fight. It's just wishful thinking on Parcell's part if he thinks this will work. These are some proud men who still have plenty of NFL life in them. Let's get what we can now and not wait until their agent forces a trade or their playing time is so small that we're offered nothing for them.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
cannonball44 said:

Even if the 3-4 is not a success, it's too late to go back to the 4-3. Zimmer has already made it clear he won't be using a wide variety of both. We're predominantly 3-4 now. We won't be going back midway through the season, so trade them now. IMO, we have better 3-4 defensive linemen to play the 4-3, then we do 4-3 who can play the 3-4. And our linebackers are suited for the 4-3, so I think we can handle the loss.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If the price was right I would trade them. Of course, I say that about any player. The thing is I think we will need them this year a lot more than folks think. The time to trade them should have been in February or March whenever the owner's meetings were going. Their value was still high enough. It is dropping like a stone because teams know they don't fit the 3-4.

This switch better work or there will be a lot of really bitter fans.

Reaction score
Parcells knows we as a TEAM Defense will be MUCH more effective in a 3-4 then that old wussy "occupy & engage" never pressure anything D lame duck zimmy ran...

Trades just don't happen much in todays Cap strapped NFL...

The reason BOTH Ellis & Glover will be kept this year is they can still be productive in this system AND we can't just turn it over to the rookies just yet...

twa

Reaction score
Too much expectation from the rookie pool,while I expect them to contribute and hopefully excel,you cannot base your defensive front on rookies and BLINDLY HOPE for success. Niether Glover or Ellis is a cap killer, so use the talent you know is there to help develop the future.
Of course if someone offers enough to make the risk worth it ...jump on it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

Man, you've got that right. If BP runs Glover and Ellis out of town and for some reason Ware and Canty don't pan out (I think Spears will be ok for some reason), this board, and Boys fans all over are going to go crazy.

I'm not a BP fan myself, but one thing I have to keep in mind here is....Ellis went to Bill, not the opposite.

Having said that, I'm not down with Parcells screaming at a guy that has busted his *** for this organization for many years. I think that sucks.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I think Ellis is an excellent player and we should try to figure out how to keep him. That said, Ellis himself doesn't even think he can make the switch. THis from JJT's article:

"For me to be successful, it's going to be extremely hard – harder than it has ever been before – because I'm undersized to play that position."

With that said, as much as I like Ellis, I think it is time to see if we can get something for him. Maybe a #2 or hopefully a first rounder for him. OR her's a thought. Maybe a larger DE. Because with Spears playing the left side now we will need a bigger body there and we know that Ware is not big enough to play DE in the 3-4 consistently.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cajuncowboy said:
I think Ellis is an excellent player and we should try to figure out how to keep him. That said, Ellis himself doesn't even think he can make the switch. THis from JJT's article:

"For me to be successful, it's going to be extremely hard – harder than it has ever been before – because I'm undersized to play that position."

With that said, as much as I like Ellis, I think it is time to see if we can get something for him. Maybe a #2 or hopefully a first rounder for him. OR her's a thought. Maybe a larger DE. Because with Spears playing the left side now we will need a bigger body there and we know that Ware is not big enough to play DE in the 3-4 consistently.

I seriously doubt we'd get a first rounder for Greg. Just don't see it at all.

Mash

Reaction score
Its too late....better hope a team runs into injury problems on the D-line during preseason.

Glover has value.......Ellis IMHO doesn't have much. I think everything will be fine. The meeting happened a few months ago....I think Bill would of traded him by now if he thought Ellis was going to cause trouble.

Ellis will play 20% less snaps......it will be good for him......better if it was playing in the 4-3. If Bill sees enough in the kids then I could see Ellis being shipped for a 2nd day draft pick. But then again....we heard last year how Bill was impressed with some of the young guys during last preseason and none of them panned out.

Should be interesting...............

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mash said:
. But then again....we heard last year how Bill was impressed with some of the young guys during last preseason and none of them panned out.

Should be interesting...............

I happen to recall he was "very impressed" with Kenyon Coleman last pre-season.

A guy that shouldn't even be on the team IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
If the price was right I would trade them. Of course, I say that about any player. The thing is I think we will need them this year a lot more than folks think. The time to trade them should have been in February or March whenever the owner's meetings were going. Their value was still high enough. It is dropping like a stone because teams know they don't fit the 3-4.

Well said Hos.

The fact is that they are close to be untradeable at this point... that is until next winter.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge said:
Man, you've got that right. If BP runs Glover and Ellis out of town and for some reason Ware and Canty don't pan out (I think Spears will be ok for some reason), this board, and Boys fans all over are going to go crazy.

I'm not a BP fan myself, but one thing I have to keep in mind here is....Ellis went to Bill, not the opposite.

Having said that, I'm not down with Parcells screaming at a guy that has busted his *** for this organization for many years. I think that sucks.

If the 3-4 doesn't pan out I know a couple folks that are going to get roasted... for a long, long time. :grrr:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
If the 3-4 doesn't pan out I know a couple folks that are going to get roasted... for a long, long time. :grrr:

I'll be drivin' the wagon.

:D