It's time to trade Ellis and Glover and get while the getting's good

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Bigdog24 said:
"Keep'em both" They give give the cowboys alot of options (safety net if someone gets hurt) Teams will not no what defense to expect. Zimmer could really mess with a QB's head by swithcing up the defense. You could start 3-4 one week and switch the next week or play by play. and The ability to show different lineups will keep opposing QBs and OL back on there heels. Look at the way the cowboys off season move and the draft. It really show they have a plan, let just hope it works.

best reply yet man.isnt that what the patriots do all the time?run the defense according to the team they are playing?and switch up every week?

yall need to have faith in parcells.we gonna destroy the chargers and take it from there.

yep 35-16

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Hell, with some ifs our DLine is looking a helluva like the Pats DLine a few years ago.
DE-Chris Canty-Ty Warren clone?
DT-Fergy-Traylor or Ted Washington clone?
DT-Ratliff-Dan Klecko Swing Tackle/End clone?
DE-Marcus Spears-Seymour clone?
But still this means I'm flip-flopping my decision Glover and Ellis will stay, for this year. If Canty and Spears come along this year Ellis will be traded before th 2006 draft. BP will decide who stays and who goes. Also, with them staying we can rotate to the 4-3 easily. Next year BP will go after his MLB and we will move to the 3-4 on a more permanent basis. Glover and Ellis both will be on new teams next year and we will be loaded with draft picks again! If they stay another year after that I just guess I will take a shot of birdshat to the face for this rant.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
In my mind, this all comes down to Parcells' evaluation of Ellis in the 3-4. If he truly believes he'll play well in the scheme, we need to keep him. Ellis' history here isn't like that of Hutch or Bryant. He may have had this one incident, but I don't envision Ellis as the kind of guy that will suddenly stop working hard or become a problem. But, if Parcells is keeping Ellis only because a guy like Canty isn't healthy and Spears, too, is a rookie, knowing all a long that Ellis will be a failure in the scheme, I'd rather unload him now for something before his value diminishes anymore. If he stinks it up in the 3-4, and is a year older next off-season, his value will only go down.

I trust Parcells' analysis of what kind of personnel will work in the 3-4. I'd love to know his true feelings of Ellis' future here.

Or, if the plan is to truly use the the 4-3 and 3-4 this season, I think keeping Ellis and Glover - as said above - is smart because it does provide options. Trade either or both, and suddenly our 4-3 line looks incredibly weak and no longer is an option.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
This is starting to take away from my excitement this upcoming season. I think we need to be a predominant 4-3 team. Makes more sense.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Slam Nors

Glover/Ellis based D has done SQUAT!

If Spears, Ware, Canty, Burnett and 3-4 bust feel free to Bust Nors - Dallas is then looking at winning a Super Bowl at best in 2010+++

We aint winning it with undersized and aging D we had.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
I mean I agree with Nors on this. Don't get attached to guys that aren't dominant. We are trying to get better and we need to make changes all over or we'll just have the same product.

I love those guys, they are truly standup guys but I want to win. And if they can help us win, then let's keep them. If BP feels that they wont be able to help, then let's get a good trade in and move it along.

Taz

Reaction score
all our talent is 4-3
cowboys play better at 4-3
we will always play 4-4, its the cowboy way
if we switch to 3-4 the terrorest win.

Novacek84

Reaction score
Hostile said:
If the price was right I would trade them. Of course, I say that about any player. The thing is I think we will need them this year a lot more than folks think. The time to trade them should have been in February or March whenever the owner's meetings were going. Their value was still high enough. It is dropping like a stone because teams know they don't fit the 3-4.

This switch better work or there will be a lot of really bitter fans.

AMEN to this. Before we trade 2 stalwarts on our defense, can we first see if the draft choices turn out to be the real deal? Why would you trade any starters before you even see if the rookies are as advertised. Lets let the coaches make the proper evaluations and decisions before we run good players like Ellis out of town. If we are to challenge for the playoffs, this team will need veterans like Ellis and Glover contributing.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Even if the 3-4 is not a success, it's too late to go back to the 4-3. Zimmer has already made it clear he won't be using a wide variety of both. We're predominantly 3-4 now. We won't be going back midway through the season, so trade them now. IMO, we have better 3-4 defensive linemen to play the 4-3, then we do 4-3 who can play the 3-4. And our linebackers are suited for the 4-3, so I think we can handle the loss.

We're going to be using both schemes ... you're listening too much to what the media is saying.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
I think trading Ellis is the way to go.

Glover can be kept for relief at NT AND he would make a good DE in the 3-4. between those 2 he would get enough snaps to keep him happy.... not to mention 4-3 looks.

Ellis on the other hand is not REALLY a good fit int he 3-4. He's a classic 4-3 DE. Plus DE's tend to be mroe valuable than DT's anyway, thus getting more in return.

WE have enough depth to let 1 of them go... but i don't think both.