It's Wade Phillips vs. Mike Singletary (both interviewed, but Wade got the job)

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Wade Phillips won the Cowboys' head-coaching job over Mike Singletary, who now head-coaches the 49ers. It will be interesting to see this head-coaching matchup. By all accounts, Phillips should win it, just based on coaching experience overall, both as a defensive coordinator and head-coach.

What's interesting is that Phillips used a 46 defense look last week, that Singletary thrived on as a player. Like Singletary, Phillips learned it from Buddy Ryan first hand. So it will be interesting to see if Singletary uses that look Sunday as a means for stopping Barber. If Phillips is smart enough as a coach he will have our OL practice against our defense on specifically the 46 scheme to get our guys up to speed in defending it.

The 49ers best asset is on defense, which is their MLB (Willis, I beleie?). Singletary will clearly want to make this a running contest so that he can pin his team's strength against ours, and to keep the game low-scoring. The 49ers have no passing offense - let's be honest - so clearly Singletary would like to keep this one on the ground. This is also where Jason Garrett has to come through, to combat Singletary's run-stuffing looks with quick slants, and also with play action to get the downfield passing game going. He would be smart to make T.O. more of a focal point in this game too, noting that T.O. is a former 49er; T.O. may still have an axe to grind there. Personally, If I were Garrett I would line up T.O. in the slot to give that MLB more than Barber to think about.

Yeah, It's Niner-Whiner Week! :D

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Singletary>Wade

man, it pisses me off when sumthing goes wrong in a game and they show Wade and he does his old ''oh shuckz'' face. MAN UP!!! GET PISSED! SHOW CHARACTER!!! we're tired of the ol' puppy face wade......

DeepBleu

Reaction score
k0wb0y;2429260 said:
Singletary>Wade

man, it pisses me off when sumthing goes wrong in a game and they show Wade and he does his old ''oh shuckz'' face. MAN UP!!! GET PISSED! SHOW CHARACTER!!! we're tired of the ol' puppy face wade......

characters such as mooning his players in the locker room and throwing his offensive coordinator under the bus?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DeepBleu;2429294 said:
characters such as mooning his players in the locker room and throwing his offensive coordinator under the bus?

As opposed to BP making KD show his bullet wound? His offensive coordinator ??? He didn't want Martz that's not his staff and I'm sure if they make him the HC Martz will be fired.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Wade didnt beat out Singletary for the job, he beat out Norv Turner. Singletary was interviewed and Jones did say he was impressed, but it went down to the end according to Jones to a choice between Wade and Norv.

notherbob

Reaction score
If Singletary turns out to be half as good a coach as he was a player, he will be a great one, though he may not fare as well in SF under their management as he would somewhere else under a management team with a three digit IQ.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Singletary has a reputation of not being an X's and O's guy. He doesn't draft playbooks, call plays, etc. That may be fine as a head coach since he can just get coordinators to do his work for him, but I'd like to have a guy that at least has SOME experience actually, you know, being a coach! Singletary has one qualification -- he looks and acts like a drill sergeant.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2429458 said:
Singletary has a reputation of not being an X's and O's guy. He doesn't draft playbooks, call plays, etc. That may be fine as a head coach since he can just get coordinators to do his work for him, but I'd like to have a guy that at least has SOME experience actually, you know, being a coach! Singletary has one qualification -- he looks and acts like a drill sergeant.

so how was he a D coodinator with out calling his plays?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2429463 said:
so how was he a D coodinator with out calling his plays?
This was his reputation when we were interviewing him. Up until that time he had never been a defensive coordinator. He was a linebackers coach at San Francisco, and those guys don't draw up plays or call defenses.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DeepBleu;2429294 said:

The offensive coordinator deserved to be thrown under the bus and don't worry, I don't think any of the 250 lbs+ men that hit other men for a living were blushing when Singletary dropped down to his boxers.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2429470 said:
This was his reputation when we were interviewing him. Up until that time he had never been a defensive coordinator. He was a linebackers coach at San Francisco, and those guys don't draw up plays or call defenses.

:lmao2: :lmao:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Singletary looks good roaming the sidelines. He doesn't look dour like Bill or like Pillsbury dough boy like Wade.

However, if Wade had messed up at the end of the game like Singletary a couple weeks ago, Wade would've needed protection detail from all the threats against his life.

Singletary blamed Martz for calling the wrong play. Martz blamed calling the wrong play on the refs. And Shaun Hill looks like a boob for running the play even tho he should've known that play wasn't going to work from the 2.5 yard line.

Singletary may very well turn out to be a good coach, but if he'd messed up in Dallas like that, all the intensity in the world wouldn't have stopped this board from melting down.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2429487 said:
Singletary looks good roaming the sidelines. He doesn't look dour like Bill or like Pillsbury dough boy like Wade.

However, if Wade had messed up at the end of the game like Singletary a couple weeks ago, Wade would've needed protection detail from all the threats against his life.

Singletary blamed Martz for calling the wrong play. Martz blamed calling the wrong play on the refs. And Shaun Hill looks like a boob for running the play even tho he should've known that play wasn't going to work from the 2.5 yard line.

Singletary may very well turn out to be a good coach, but if he'd messed up in Dallas like that, all the intensity in the world wouldn't have stopped this board from melting down.

If we were the 49ers, and Wade had just taken over midseason after the previous coach quit, and that had happened, the result would be the same.

Wade being the head coach for a year and a half, getting a bye the first year and then having that happen is a completely different situation.

Shaun Hill also has about zero ability to change play calls at that point in the game, he's just trying to keep his job, disobeying the coaches after Vernon Davis got sent to the shower not long before probably isn't the best way to do that.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2429484 said:

Whats funny is that you apparently think their defense was good. From what I've seen they're not very good and haven't been all that good in a long time.

Willis is the only player on their defense that would be worth having so rather he was a DC, a linebackers coach, or whatever their defense hasn't been good.

dfense

Reaction score
DeepBleu;2429294 said:
Grass is always greener, don't ya know.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2429500 said:
If we were the 49ers, and Wade had just taken over midseason after the previous coach quit, and that had happened, the result would be the same.

Wade being the head coach for a year and a half, getting a bye the first year and then having that happen is a completely different situation.

Shaun Hill also has about zero ability to change play calls at that point in the game, he's just trying to keep his job, disobeying the coaches after Vernon Davis got sent to the shower not long before probably isn't the best way to do that.
None of that would stop people from criticizing Jerry & Co. if it had happened in a Dallas game.

We can point to any number of reasons why things haven't worked in the 'boys favor this year and usually folks just point the finger at Wade & Co. Excuses are not accepted nor tolerated.

So I think that same standard should apply if Singletary had been the coach for Dallas and made those same mistakes. He would've been a rookie head coach last year. There's no way with him as the coach, this team goes 13-3 making those kind of mistakes.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2429525 said:
None of that would stop people from criticizing Jerry & Co. if it had happened in a Dallas game.

We can point to any number of reasons why things haven't worked in the 'boys favor this year and usually folks just point the finger at Wade & Co. Excuses are not accepted nor tolerated.

So I think that same standard should apply if Singletary had been the coach for Dallas and made those same mistakes. He would've been a rookie head coach last year. There's no way with him as the coach, this team goes 13-3 making those kind of mistakes.

But BY GAWD he'd have dropped his pants, made a face, shown some intensity, got angry, threw a clip board!

He'd have done something that made him awesome and worthy of having no blame thrown his way when things go wrong!

I kid, some what. I actually like Mike and hope he does do well.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
wade phillips interviewed for the Packers job too, mcarthy got it and he beat him twice....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2429551 said:
wade phillips interviewed for the Packers job too, mcarthy got it and he beat him twice....
McCarthy's a good coach and he has something that Wade can't get -- youth, but just think if we were 5-5 right now (i.e., lost the Commanders game).

Better yet, what if Wade had decided to trade away our HOF quarterback who went on to have a better record at his new team!