It's Wade Phillips vs. Mike Singletary (both interviewed, but Wade got the job)

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2429525 said:
None of that would stop people from criticizing Jerry & Co. if it had happened in a Dallas game.

We can point to any number of reasons why things haven't worked in the 'boys favor this year and usually folks just point the finger at Wade & Co. Excuses are not accepted nor tolerated.

So I think that same standard should apply if Singletary had been the coach for Dallas and made those same mistakes. He would've been a rookie head coach last year. There's no way with him as the coach, this team goes 13-3 making those kind of mistakes.

I agree with you WG. Case in point is how everyone turned on Brad Johnson. Johnson had not played in, like, forever, and had very limited practice reps. Yet everyone blamed him for the offensive woes, glaring over his lack of RECENT experience. Had Wade come into this season mid-stream as head coach, like Brad Johnson did as QB, then Wade WOULD HAVE gotten the same treatment that Johnson did for blundering. Singletary just got a free pass because he is not in Dallas; and I'm glad he is not.

khiladi

Reaction score
If the 49ers bring the 4-6 look against this team, they will get killed, provided Jason Garrett is willing to get the ball out quick.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BraveHeartFan;2429538 said:
But BY GAWD he'd have dropped his pants, made a face, shown some intensity, got angry, threw a clip board!

He'd have done something that made him awesome and worthy of having no blame thrown his way when things go wrong!

I kid, some what. I actually like Mike and hope he does do well.
Same here. I'd really like to see him succeed. It's just that I don't know that anyone should bemoan the fact that he's not Dallas' coach at this time. He's very raw from a coaching standpoint, but he's a great motivator.

Matter of fact, that's actually how he made his money before getting into coaching. Ultimately, it's about the Ws. He gets those, then I'll think maybe we let one get away. Similar to Sparano and Payton.

AMERICAS_FAN;2429563 said:
I agree with you WG. Case in point is how everyone turned on Brad Johnson. Johnson had not played in, like, forever, and had very limited practice reps. Yet everyone blamed him for the offensive woes, glaring over his lack of RECENT experience. Had Wade come into this season mid-stream as head coach, like Brad Johnson did as QB, then Wade WOULD HAVE gotten the same treatment that Johnson did for blundering. Singletary just got a free pass because he is not in Dallas; and I'm glad he is not.
Sorry, can't ride with you on the BJ front. He was awful.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2429561 said:
McCarthy's a good coach and he has something that Wade can't get -- youth, but just think if we were 5-5 right now (i.e., lost the Commanders game).

Better yet, what if Wade had decided to trade away our HOF quarterback who went on to have a better record at his new team!

I think mcarthy is a good coach too. i dont want to think about if we had lost sunday, I am nervous enough as it is that gore will hit us early and they will get a 10 point lead early or something.

I am not a big fan of phillips personally, I just dont like the laid back style. He is here so i root for him. i think he is better suited as the coordinator, and when he is coupled with a hard nose coach he is the perfect compliment. The guys can trust wade to be calm and talk to them while the head coach does the screaming and yelling.

however, T-New was on turf talk with babe laufenberg last night and was asked about phillips not being aggressive enough. Newman said he is. He makes players who make mistakes during games get up and explain at meetings in front of the whole team what happened. Newman said guys are uncomfortable doing that. He also said that wade gets P'od All the time in practice and in meetings and he gets his points across to everyone.

he went onto talk about how he really liked parcells and how good of a coach he was but right now wade is exactly what this team needs. He explained the reason for that was because Wade Communicates better than parcells and that the guys respect him for that.

So if wade is good enough for newman, Guys like me have no right to complain about him.

cowboyed

Reaction score
notherbob;2429452 said:
If Singletary turns out to be half as good a coach as he was a player, he will be a great one, though he may not fare as well in SF under their management as he would somewhere else under a management team with a three digit IQ.

According to JJT of the Dallas Morning News, one of the reasons Singletary didn't get hired by the Cowboys was because during the interview he mooned Jerry over refusing to give him GM control as well. The act of mooning didn't bother Jerry it was the fact that Singletary had the temerity to moon him with buttocks that were not only out of shape but unsightly due to childhood acne scarring.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
cowboyed;2429649 said:
According to JJT of the Dallas Morning News, one of the reasons Singletary didn't get hired by the Cowboys was because during the interview he mooned Jerry over refusing to give him GM control as well. The act of mooning didn't bother Jerry it was the fact that Singletary had the temerity to moon him with buttocks that were not only out of shape but unsightly due to childhood acne scarring.

Wow, you guys are going to ride that mooning thing into the ground aren't you.

No one knows how the team does with Singletary here since we didn't hire him. I don't think he was ready, he probably still isn't, but to make it sound like Singletary is getting cut slack and Wade is overly criticized makes no sense since their situations are completely different.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2429599 said:
however, T-New was on turf talk with babe laufenberg last night and was asked about phillips not being aggressive enough. Newman said he is. He makes players who make mistakes during games get up and explain at meetings in front of the whole team what happened. Newman said guys are uncomfortable doing that. He also said that wade gets P'od All the time in practice and in meetings and he gets his points across to everyone..

Ahem... Any of the "no accountability" crew reading this?

Considering making this my sig... In big bold type.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not true, unless a journalist validates it, otherwise Newman is just taking up for his coach. ;)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2429599 said:
...however, T-New was on turf talk with babe laufenberg last night and was asked about phillips not being aggressive enough. Newman said he is. He makes players who make mistakes during games get up and explain at meetings in front of the whole team what happened. Newman said guys are uncomfortable doing that. He also said that wade gets P'od All the time in practice and in meetings and he gets his points across to everyone.

he went onto talk about how he really liked parcells and how good of a coach he was but right now wade is exactly what this team needs. He explained the reason for that was because Wade Communicates better than parcells and that the guys respect him for that.

So if wade is good enough for newman, Guys like me have no right to complain about him.

You should hear the players in SD talk about him as a coordinator. He was a god down there, and they won't say it outright, but it's pretty clear they'd have preferred him as a head coach.

His aw-shucks press conferences sort of bug me, too, but you can tell the guy knows his stuff. He's stubborn, and will stick up for his players. The positive spin stuff gets him beat up by the press and fans, but I think it's pretty obvious that he's just building a firewall for the players. That's fine with me if there's actual accountability in the locker room.

Criticism of our schemes is generally pretty stupid given who's been injured and the quality and success of these coaches, but I don't think there's any arguing that we've had too many thoughtless penalties and execution errors on all three teams this year.

cowboyed

Reaction score
TheCount;2429858 said:
Wow, you guys are going to ride that mooning thing into the ground aren't you.

No one knows how the team does with Singletary here since we didn't hire him. I don't think he was ready, he probably still isn't, but to make it sound like Singletary is getting cut slack and Wade is overly criticized makes no sense since their situations are completely different.

It was a joke not an indictment on his interim head coaching style. Let's see how he counters us in the upcoming game, that should be an incremental indicator of his head coaching potential.

Meanwhile I am still working on getting Wade's email so that I can convince him to start mooning the players when they malperform or their efforts are uninspired. You have to admit a player collective gander at his arse would be a huge deterrent and fearful motivation.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I don't think Singletary ever had a chance here. But all things considered, Wade is a lot better than Singletary. If Wade loves his players too much, Singletary seems intent on humiliating and bad-mouthing his players. The other extreme (like Parcells.)

It does sadden me to think that a lot of owners, when looking for a HC, go through the motions of bringing in a minority candidate with no intention of hiring him as evidenced by the lower hiring rate for minorities.

On the other hand, these minority "candidates" do get some exposure as "seriously considered" candidates and go through the interview process, which can help them down the road.

The NFL, bless its heart, does want more diversity, inclusion, but short of mandating hires, it can only rely on its piffy must-interview-minorities rule.