News: ITS: Who Will Pick Up the Slack in Michael Gallup's Absence?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm faithfully trying to convince myself Stephen may keep his promise to delve into the vet FA market after the final cuts.:thumbup:

If he were to sign a couple of them, like a good OT backup and a capable LB backup, it could make a world of difference for us.
Agreed Mr. Flop !

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Hopefully Gallup doesn’t miss a single game. But assuming he has to, it’s going to come down to Moore’s utilization of various assets to keep the offense flowing. It may not come down to just one guy picking up the slack, but rather he & Dak keeping everyone involved & keeping defenses guessing.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hopefully Gallup doesn’t miss a single game. But assuming he has to, it’s going to come down to Moore’s utilization of various assets to keep the offense flowing. It may not come down to just one guy picking up the slack, but rather he & Dak keeping everyone involved & keeping defenses guessing.
Great strategy Ranch. probably what we will see.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Pollard in the slot ?
Most definitely!
Pollard was a WR in College ?
He has great pass catching and RAC skills.
:hammer:
He's a RB (lol)
Maybe Fehoko in a hybrid WR/TE role?
o_O
Practicing at WR is nothing new for Pollard, who originally played the position at Memphis before the Cowboys drafted him in 2019. Dallas also touted his reps as a slot receiver ahead of the 2021 season, though he ended up taking just 58 total snaps from that spot in games, per TruMedia, serving more as a decoy when lined up out of the backfield.

His practice out wide could mean more this offseason, however, considering the transition that's occurring at receiver.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depends on who can spend the extra time getting on the same page as the QB. They need extra time to build chemistry. But honestly it's the run game needing to pickup the slack from the loss of talent at WR.

conner01

Reaction score
Noah Brown has more time with Dak and this scheme then the rest of the guys. So from a logical stand point it should be Noah. But it'll more than likely be a group effort with Brown, Washington, and Tolbert all contributing. The injury to Gallup kind of makes me glad they kept Shultz this year. Can't have too much change over in one off season.
Brown not gonna be the guy
We signed Washington and drafted Tolbert
They will be tasked with taking up the slack
It’s not like we haven’t been without Gallup before

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The true wild card in this situation.

Well, here's the way I see it, and I said something similar to another poster in another thread. Our top 3 WRs until Gallup returns are going to be Lamb, James Washington, and Tolbert. My guess is that Mike/Moore will rotate them about so that, while we don't have a traditional 1WR, Dak can basically choose who he wants to look at as his 1 during his progressions. I think Tolbert, with his size, is similar enough to Gallup to where he can fill in. That said, I think Dak will be able to choose who his 1WR is on a play. That would freeze the defence because they won't know who the 1 is. So, they may accidentally put their 1 CB on the decoy on a certain play.

conner01

Reaction score
Pollard was a WR in College ?
He has great pass catching and RAC skills.
He was a RB who was used in the passing game. He’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands. It’s criminal to not be getting the ball in his hands in the passing game whether he’s lined up in the line or from the backfield
Just get him the dang ball

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a rook or two may see plenty of early action. That young man from TTU can make crazy catches if he can just work on the consistency aspect of his game

Kingofholland

Reaction score
3 out of the 5 first games are the toughest on our schedule. Veteran help is needed with Gallup likely out the first month.

Below are the free agents that could help. I would assume they're not signed because of the amount they want on a short term deal. Based on contracts they got last year I'm thinking Jones, Hilton, and Fuller are chasing 1 year 10 million deals, while Sanders and Beasley are under 6. I don't think the Cowboys will sign any of them for those amounts, but if they do come down they're worth considering as insurance if Gallup is unavailable.

Julio Jones
Ty Hilton
Will Fuller
Emanuel Sanders
Cole Beasley

jrumann59

Reaction score
3 out of the 5 first games are the toughest on our schedule. Veteran help is needed with Gallup likely out the first month.

Below are the free agents that could help. I would assume they're not signed because of the amount they want on a short term deal. Based on contracts they got last year I'm thinking Jones, Hilton, and Fuller are chasing 1 year 10 million deals, while Sanders and Beasley are under 6. I don't think the Cowboys will sign any of them for those amounts, but if they do come down they're worth considering as insurance if Gallup is unavailable.

Julio Jones
Ty Hilton
Will Fuller
Emanuel Sanders
Cole Beasley
I would take any of those besides Beasley and Jones. Beasley is strictly a slot guy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys are hoping Tolbert and Washington take up some of the slack. I expect Dalton Schultz to be targeted even more this season. Even when Gallup returns it’s not likely he’ll hit the ground running. He’s missed a lot of time and it usually takes a receiver a full year to recover from an ACL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The concerning part is the Cowboys are going to likely have to go with receiver by committee to replace Gallup. That strategy blew up in their face during the early part of the 2018 season but they were doing that to replace a number one receiver. At least we have CeeDee but he hasn’t been a number one receiver as a pro. It’s going to be interesting to see how he responds to all the coverage rolling over to him. Amari had to be accounted for and without him could create some real issues. We’re going to have to hold our breath CeeDee stays healthy.