I've never been more depressed to be a Cowboys fan

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
2007 was not enjoyable. It was good up until December when the team started falling apart and then we had to watch the Giants win the SB. I'll give you 2014 and 2016 because I felt pretty good after those games. I should have known better.

JustChip

Reaction score
In 2014, I wrote a post about Garrett being the teflon don and here we are 4 years later and he is replacing his offensive coaching staff yet again...

What is it going to have to take here? The last three years here have been just awful to be a Cowboys fan.

I'm guessing you're a young 'in. Depressing was 1989. Depressing was the Campo years. Today falls into the disappointed category - like the period from '65 until '71 when they had the reputation as "next year's champs" and "couldn't win the big one".

A trip down history lane might be good at this time. Their records for their first 6 seasons were:

0-11-1
4-9-1
5-8-1
4-10
5-8-1
7-7

None of that foretold of the 1966 season. Landry was being vilified and considered not be the answer. However, Craig Murchison defied media and fan outcries and gave Landry a 10 year contract following the '65 season. What followed was an unprecedented 20 year run of winning records and playoff contention.

I sat through EVERY embarrassing debacle at Texas Stadium in 1989. I assure you there was no "meter is pointing up" that season, not during nor after. Maybe you'll find a select few Nostradamuses that predicted what was to follow, but not near the number of fans that now profess "I knew we were heading in the right direction" at that time. We were the laughing-stock of the NFL then.

Cowboys aside, how many correctly IN ADVANCE said the Eagles, Jags and Rams were SB contenders at this point last year? Neither FA nor the draft had occurred. And, yes, the Rams had changed coaches, but change by itself doesn't necessarily bring success. No one has changed more than Cleveland and it's never brought success. Maybe change elevates enthusiasm, but that's no guarantee of success.

This is not intended to be a JG support nor JG support post. It's simply to encourage you that, regardless of all the angst and hyperbole floating around, we are in much better position today than in different times in the past. And, quite frankly, have more reason to hope than some of those.

Last edited:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're a young 'in. Depressing was 1989. Depressing was the Campo years. Today falls into the disappointed category - like the period from '65 until '71 when they had the reputation as "next year's champs" and "couldn't win the big one".

A trip down history lane might be good at this time. Their records for their first 6 seasons were:

0-11-1
4-9-1
5-8-1
4-10
5-8-1
7-7

None of that foretold of the 1966 season. Landry was being vilified and considered not be the answer. However, Craig Murchison defied media and fan outcries and gave Landry a 10 year contract following the '65 season. What followed was an unprecedented 20 year run of winning records and playoff contention.

I sat through EVERY embarrassing debacle at Texas Stadium in 1989. I assure you there was no "meter is pointing up" that season, not during nor after. Maybe you'll find a select few Nostradamuses that predicted what was to follow, but not near the number of fans that now profess "I knew we were heading in the right direction" at that time. We were the laughing-stock of the NFL then.

Cowboys aside, how many correctly IN ADVANCE said the Eagles, Jags and Rams were SB contenders at this point last year? Neither FA nor the draft had occurred. And, yes, the Rams had changed coaches, but change by itself doesn't necessarily bring success. No one has changed more than Cleveland and it's never brought success. Maybe change elevates enthusiasm, but that's no guarantee of success.

This is not intended to be a JG support nor JG support post. It's simply to encourage you that, regardless of all the angst and hyperbole floating around, we are in much better position today than in different times in the past. And, quite frankly, have more reason to hope than some of those.

At no point did I think, Campo won't be fired.

The fact that this team sucks and Garrett remains is what makes this situation so bleak.

JustChip

Reaction score
At no point did I think, Campo won't be fired.

The fact that this team sucks and Garrett remains is what makes this situation so bleak.

That would happen at some point if the team had the same stretch of futility as the Campo years. Maybe you consider the Garrett years equivalent, that's your prerogative. But there was nothing in those years to expect the team to be in competition for a playoff spot. Essentially, we were on par with Cleveland fans. When Romo went down in preseason game #3 in 2016, did you immediately think "oh boy, now we're going to compete for playoffs?" I highly doubt it.

IMO, fans are much like investors. Euphoria abounds when the market is going up and depression when it's going down. The emotions in both cases cause people to make irrational decisions and, ultimately, drive the market too high and too low.

If you truly believe that this team is not going to compete for a playoff spot next year when they've done it for 6 of the last 7 years, then there's no hope for you. And if you're going to be depressed if they don't annually play in the SB, you are in for a state of continual hopelessness and depression. And I don't mean that with any animosity or disrespect.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I have no real excitement for the 2018 regular season to start, unless there is something drastic that happens with the draft and free agency. Not just having to catch up with the Eagles, But, there's a bunch of other potential NFC playoff teams we have to compete with for a playoff spot and I don't see the team doing it under Garrett or with the current way that Jerry runs the team.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That would happen at some point if the team had the same stretch of futility as the Campo years. Maybe you consider the Garrett years equivalent, that's your prerogative. But there was nothing in those years to expect the team to be in competition for a playoff spot. Essentially, we were on par with Cleveland fans. When Romo went down in preseason game #3 in 2016, did you immediately think "oh boy, now we're going to compete for playoffs?" I highly doubt it.

IMO, fans are much like investors. Euphoria abounds when the market is going up and depression when it's going down. The emotions in both cases cause people to make irrational decisions and, ultimately, drive the market too high and too low.

If you truly believe that this team is not going to compete for a playoff spot next year when they've done it for 6 of the last 7 years, then there's no hope for you. And if you're going to be depressed if they don't annually play in the SB, you are in for a state of continual hopelessness and depression. And I don't mean that with any animosity or disrespect.

A playoff spot? Is that what our goal is? You're already self defeating and you don't even know it.

JustChip

Reaction score
A playoff spot? Is that what our goal is? You're already self defeating and you don't even know it.

Yes, simply because the chance of playing in the Super Bowl is greatly enhanced by making the playoffs. Don't make the playoffs and I'm pretty sure there's no shot at playing in the Super Bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
Then stop letting outside influences have so much control over your psyche.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Actually I (stupid, yes I know, but just not a pessimist by nature) do have pretty high expectations for 2018, due to several factors:

1. No Zeke suspension hanging over the team's head.
2. Dak had problems, he has gone through them so he knows what to work on.
3. Wade Wilson is gone, I saw no evidence he has a good quarterback coach, Moore is at least "fresh blood"
4. At this point at least, no suspensions looming for Lawrence and Irving.
5. J. Smith showed flashes of very good play, don't think he was nearly recovered from the knee injury at the start of last season but by camp he will have had plenty of time to heal up.
6. The Cowboys' history for the last 4 years shows a 10 or better win season followed by an under 10 win season. Under 10 in 2017, so by history this year will be over 10, which means good chance to make the playoffs. Have to get in the playoffs to have a chance to compete for the SB.
7. The last few years the draft picks are much better - Martin, Frederick, L. Collins. Awuzie for example. Don't see why that shouldn't continue. So should get some help in 2018 via the draft.
8. Speaking of Awuzie and the other rookies, they "got their feet wet" in 2017, with camp (especially for Awuzie, who missed most of camp) and pre-season, they will be better prepared for this upcoming season.
9. New coaches, fresh ideas will be introduced to the team, I think the coaching staff had gotten stale over the past few years.
10. Last year doesn't have to have any relation to last year. Who thought the Eagles were primed to be SB champs? Few, if anybody, but they are. Cowboys can be much better, no point with doom and gloom forecasts, no telling what can happen in 2018

jsb357

Reaction score
After Jackie Smith, circus SB catches, and "NO Danny NO" my fan-skin toughed up enough to deal with the lean years / decades.

It's crossed my mind several times that Dallas might never win another SB again.

As long as the team is the Dallas Cowboys, I'll be a fan.