CFZ Jacksonville - A different perspective

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hes gonna have to start Cox at LB if LVE is out. Barr is a good for running downs, except we need Coxs speed sideline to sideline.

Hopefully he believes Bland can take KJs spot. Joseph is a problem.
They might bring in a 4th Safety.

Reactions: CWR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m bummed about the loss, but for all intents and purposes, the loss is probably of little relevance in the playoff picture. Maybe something good will come if it. It’s easy to gloss over deficiencies when we win, but much harder when we lose.

Having made that disclaimer here are my observations about the Jacksonville game and the Cowboys in general:

1. Dak sucks as a game manager. I don’t care that he led us to 30 plus points. His decision making at critical points in the game are his undoing. It’s not just the interceptions, it’s the low percentage passes on third down, poor situational awareness, and the hero mentality.

It’s going to be hard to win a SB if Dak can’t fix those things. I don’t think Dak has the football IQ to get us over the hump in close games.

2. Kellen Moore is right there with Dak. Dak May be making Kellen Moore look worse or vice versa, but their decision making sucks.

3. DQ has done a pretty good job with the next man up but Joseph is the exception to the rule. What a wasted pick!!!!

4. DQ is going to have to regroup this defense. Way too porous to go anywhere. He must adapt on the fly or this team is one and done in the playoffs.
They lack elite receiving talent. The end.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m bummed about the loss, but for all intents and purposes, the loss is probably of little relevance in the playoff picture. Maybe something good will come if it. It’s easy to gloss over deficiencies when we win, but much harder when we lose.

Having made that disclaimer here are my observations about the Jacksonville game and the Cowboys in general:

1. Dak sucks as a game manager. I don’t care that he led us to 30 plus points. His decision making at critical points in the game are his undoing. It’s not just the interceptions, it’s the low percentage passes on third down, poor situational awareness, and the hero mentality.

It’s going to be hard to win a SB if Dak can’t fix those things. I don’t think Dak has the football IQ to get us over the hump in close games.

2. Kellen Moore is right there with Dak. Dak May be making Kellen Moore look worse or vice versa, but their decision making sucks.

3. DQ has done a pretty good job with the next man up but Joseph is the exception to the rule. What a wasted pick!!!!

4. DQ is going to have to regroup this defense. Way too porous to go anywhere. He must adapt on the fly or this team is one and done in the playoffs.
McCarthy pushes the aggressive approach to passing and offense in general.

The INT when backed up against the endzone when up on the scoreboard was from being too aggressive. Probably should have just run the ball 3 times and if no 1st down then punt. McCarthy is pushing Dak to be aggressive. McCarthy's comments this week...Dak needs to just keep on firing...

The INT in overtime was a simple pass that the WR bobbled. That was 3rd and 3 if I recall correctly. The run game inconsistency is part of the reason for that being a pass play. The Cowboys usually have good total rushing yards in games but they can't count on gaining short yards like some other teams. They don't have a bulldozer RB like GB's 2nd RB Dillion (6-0, 250) that is a near guarantee to convert on 3rd and short.

In contrast the Cowboys defense can't stop 3rd and 1. This off-season they have step up and get a legit alpha dog DT. Commodes are likely to let Daron Payne leave in free agency because they gave J. Allen an 18M per contract

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

The INT when backed up against the endzone when up on the scoreboard was from being too aggressive. Probably should have just run the ball 3 times and if no 1st down then punt. McCarthy is pushing Dak to be aggressive. McCarthy's comments this week...Dak needs to just keep on firing...

The INT in overtime was a simple pass that the WR bobbled. That was 3rd and 3 if I recall correctly. The run game inconsistency is part of the reason for that being a pass play. The Cowboys usually have good total rushing yards in games but they can't count on gaining short yards like some other teams. They don't have a bulldozer RB like GB's 2nd RB Dillion (6-0, 250) that is a near guarantee to convert on 3rd and short.

In contrast the Cowboys defense can't stop 3rd and 1. This off-season they have step up and get a legit alpha dog DT. Commodes are likely to let Daron Payne leave in free agency because they gave J. Allen an 18M per contract

Correct and earlier you talked about the WR core and to me its mind boggling that with this WR core we would rather go shotgun all day than use 2TE / 2RB scheme from under center when those 2 groups are clearly better than our WR group.. Running out of the shotgun is the easiest slant call for a Dline you can give them. How many times did Jax stuff a run to the right with Tyron and Zack there out of shotgun.

Verdict

Reaction score

Aggressive is fine. Better aggressive than Garrett-like with the slow blows out. But you have to go with a reasonably high probability of a completion there (short pass) to keep the clock running. If that fails, it’s a miss on execution, not the call.

kskboys

Reaction score

Excellent evalution. Agree on all points.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do my best to stay out of the endless Dak debates, but he has certainly disappointed me lately with some of his decision making and general lack of awareness.

That actually hit me just yesterday. He plays like an unintelligent person, which he is not. It’s sloppy. His accuracy is somehow getting worse.
Was discussing this the other day w/ a football bud. I don't think Dak is the same post injury. I think the injury is in his head and is causing him to miss targets, get rid of the ball too quick, stuff like that.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Great post. Lots to work on with players and coaches.

All I would add is compounding errors by the FO year in and year out. Chronically undervaluing certain positions that lack talent and depth.

A horrible posture of arrogance and pride and an unwillingness to change their perspective which results in a “doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results” defeat loop.

This season we have been dogged by 2 things we all knew before the year started: WR depth and an inability to stop the run. The FO could have addressed both, but have utterly failed on both accounts and these two issues are kicking our butts.

kskboys

Reaction score
Amazing how some are so set in their Dak bashing/loving ways that they are incapable of any sort of thought process thereof.

DFWJC

Reaction score
These extreme views (both negative and positive) are exhausting

rambo2

Reaction score

The big thing is that the Cowboys will probably play the worst team in the playoffs in the first game and anything can happen after that.

Verdict

Reaction score
Was discussing this the other day w/ a football bud. I don't think Dak is the same post injury. I think the injury is in his head and is causing him to miss targets, get rid of the ball too quick, stuff like that.
Dak has always had a problem with overthrows even going back all the way to his rookie year. The more “excited” he is and the bigger the situation, the more likely he is to overthrow an easy completion.

That doesn’t mean that Dak sucks, but it is an Achilles heel that lessens Dak’s margin for error. I think that is why we see Dak beat the brakes off of lesser teams and struggle against better teams.

Dak is not going to take that next step (or regularly beat the better teams) unless and until he mentally takes the Tom Brady approach. On 3rd and 7 do I go for a 40 yard completion that is a back breaker but a 50/50 ball or 7.5 yard completion at 90 percent. That’s why Brady has won and QB’s like Dak often lose the bigger games.

Dak is good enough physically to take us where we want to go. But his decision making is very poor AT TIMES.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
It's literally a week after he drove 98 yards from behind, to win the game. This week he put the ball in Noah Browns chest. I'm fine being critical of the qb, but my perspective won't go there with you.
oh my god he had to drive us 98 yards to make up for his screw ups just before that drive. You people are too funny. And that pass to Brown was a weird angle, awkwardly thrown and telegraphed. You guys fixate on the ball hitting Brown, look at the play in its entirety. Dak has looked bad lately. Nothing can spin that

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I do not expect Dak and Kellen to be perfect. But they certainly have some lackings when it comes to crunch time.

CWR

Reaction score
oh my god he had to drive us 98 yards to make up for his screw ups just before that drive. You people are too funny. And that pass to Brown was a weird angle, awkwardly thrown and telegraphed. You guys fixate on the ball hitting Brown, look at the play in its entirety. Dak has looked bad lately. Nothing can spin that

Omg if context matters so much, you wouldn't be blaming Dak for a defensive collapse and a ball bouncing off his wrs chest. Omg.