Jaguars at Patriots: AFC Championship

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Did it get boring when it was basically the Niners or Cowboys in the early 1990s?

How about the 1970s with the Steelers and Cowboys basically owning the decade?

But let's complain about another dynasty that we are just envious of because we are inept and can't even string together significant winning seasons back to back.

Niners and Cowboys during their dynasty was a decade, at most, with the 49ers choking often in the 90s and only getting one Super Bowl with arguably one of the most talented QBs to ever play the game.

There has never been a team like the Pats, and it's a product of the way the NFL is set up. 7 consecutive championships and 8 Super Bowl appearances is not the same as what we got from the Cowboys and 49ers teams of the past.

star-ving

Reaction score
Jags have no one to blame but themselves. They kneeled on the ball to end the 1st half and played scared and not to lose. Carried over to the 2nd half. They were not even close to the same team.

That kneel puzzled me...had about 50 seconds before halftime and wussed out since they were getting the 2nd half kickoff. That was textbook Puppetboy.

Ghost12

Reaction score
The rule states that you can't lead with the crown of your helmet.
No it doesn't. The rule states:

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: (1) forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

Nice try making things up out of think air, but it was a good call.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
No it doesn't. The rule states:

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: (1) forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

Nice try making things up out of think air, but it was a good call.

Thats the rule for a defensless receiver.

Again, helmet to helmet is different than defensless receiver.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes. It did get boring. Many times we would sit around wondering what the NFL was going to do about the absolute dominance of the 49ers and Cowboys for so long.

But NE is an entirely different animal. They have been throwing it down now for over 15 years. And what is this? Their 7th AFCCG appearance in a row?

Boring.

And they actually did - the changes made was to prevent a team dominating like this for years. The next step should have been holding teams accountable.

No league should have teams like the Browns, Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. They are utterly useless outside of being punching bags almost yearly.

But I imagine the punishment will come with less and less viewing. Maybe it's already happening, I don't know.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok then tell me what is wrong about it.

I remember the day if you went over the middle or jumped up to make a catch you got lit up. That play wasn't helmet to helmet and Church didn't lead with the crown of his helmet.
It doesn't matter what happened in the past. If you hit the helmet with your helmet or shoulder it's a flag. Like it or not that's the RULE.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Niners and Cowboys during their dynasty was a decade, at most, with the 49ers choking often in the 90s and only getting one Super Bowl with arguably one of the most talented QBs to ever play the game.

There has never been a team like the Pats, and it's a product of the way the NFL is set up. 7 consecutive championships and 8 Super Bowl appearances is not the same as what we got from the Cowboys and 49ers teams of the past.
Yeah, so you just don't like how it is distributed. So you are bitter and angry.

There has never been a team like the Pats since, well, they have prospered for the last couple of decades in a league that losers whine about being unfair, and "a product of the way the NFL is set up".

Get over it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Let's hope the Bills get a real QB. If they do they will challenge for the division. If they get Alex Smith or Cousins they will be a serious contender.
There is a pretty logically sound thought process of seeing Kirk COUSINS landing in CLEVELAND!,,, ya' know @mardwin ,,,think about that? ,,,he'd be wreaking some unholy unleashed Doo-Doo over in that quadrant of A.F.C. FAGGOTRY,,,where he'd definitely elevate that stagnant backwater of N.F.L. shipman,,,er,,, SHIP!(that's right!:thumbup:)
Those pampered AFC "KITTY CASING-LINER'S"
really need a Jolt of reality.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
What was called on the field? Helmet to helmet or defenseless receiver. Because if it was helmet to helmet they got the call wrong and you are wrong.

Irregardless, both rules are terrible.

How is it horrible? It’s been called ticky tack for years and it’s to protect WRs who can’t protect themselves. Gronk was coming down and got concussed with Church going high. We can debate the PI...I thought DB pushed him to sideline..but not this call. Pats are consistently great with minimal talent at times. It’s greatness and refs haven’t handed them 17 years of this or 3 of 4 last SBs

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what happened in the past. If you hit the helmet with your helmet or shoulder it's a flag. Like it or not that's the RULE.

Your shoulder?

Really?

So why in the world is there a rule for a helmet-to helmet contact? Why not just make it a head contact in general?

Ghost12

Reaction score
What was called on the field? Helmet to helmet or defenseless receiver. Because if it was helmet to helmet they got the call wrong and you are wrong.

Irregardless, both rules are terrible.
Personal foul, unnecessary roughness, defense number 42. No further explanation given. It was the right call.

Last edited:

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
How is it horrible? It’s been called ticky tack for years and it’s to protect WRs who can’t protect themselves. Gronk was coming down and got concussed with Church going high. We can debate the PI...I thought DB pushed him to sideline..but not this call. Pats are consistently great with minimal talent at times. It’s greatness and refs haven’t handed them 17 years of this or 3 of 4 last SBs

The NFL today is a joke of rules that have made the game play worse. But that's another discussion for another thread.

With that said, what was called on the field on that Gronk hit? A helmet to helmet or a defensless reciever?

Ghost12

Reaction score
What was the call on the field?

You don't know so go back to your corner.
GFY. I have both CCG's on DVR and the ref said, word for word, exactly what I typed.

<mic on> "Personal foul. Unnecessary roughness, defense. Number 42. 15 yard penalty from the previous spot. First down." <mic off>

You're making crap up out of thin air and don't have a clue what you are talking about.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah, so you just don't like how it is distributed. So you are bitter and angry.

There has never been a team like the Pats since, well, they have prospered for the last couple of decades in a league that losers whine about being unfair, and "a product of the way the NFL is set up".

Get over it.

Not an argument.

Pats "prosper" because the AFC side has incompetent owners who can't put together a solid team. Tell me the franchise QBs these teams have had the past couple decades

Bills
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Jets
Titans
Texans
Raiders

And no, I will not "get over it" - this is not a criticism of the Patriots, it's a criticism of the league and what they allow. What are the Browns, Dolphins, and Jets doing for the league, let alone the conference?

Eventually having this many bad teams in a conference will come back to bite. You tell someone to "Get over it" - Okay, let's turn off our TVs because the NFL is now predictable. People today can find entertainment elsewhere.

Who wants to continue to tune in and watch the same teams succeed with the same teams failing? Predictability in any sport is a killer. That's not me saying Brady and BB aren't great, they are. I'm saying they are going from great to nearly unbeatable due to league incompetence.

star-ving

Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Brady and the Pats. They come from behind again. Now hopefully Dak can have the same career as Brady

Same career as Brady...

H41oiC4.png

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
GFY. I have both CCG's on DVR and the ref said, word for word, exactly what I typed.

<mic on> "Personal foul. Unnecessary roughness, defense. Number 42. 15 yard penalty from the previous spot. First down.." <mic off>

You're making crap up out of thin air and don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Ok so the official didn't give an explanation. So you can assume it was a defenseless reciever.

Either way you are assuming like the rest of us. Go back to your damn corner.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Did it get boring when it was basically the Niners or Cowboys in the early 1990s?

How about the 1970s with the Steelers and Cowboys basically owning the decade?

But let's complain about another dynasty that we are just envious of because we are inept and can't even string together significant winning seasons back to back.
Those teams had loaded talent, with nothing like free agency and the salary cap. Those era of champions were like the Yankees in baseball which could load up on talent, and in a league that I believe still has no salary cap (I don't follow it).

The Fakeriots have been to 12 AFC championship games in 16 years and 8 Super Bowls in that same time frame. The Fakeriots plug and chug players and still win. The teams they have played in their division have been relatively hapless during that time fame. They are an absolute statistical anomaly in a league of parity. All of this points to rigging. No team is that "lucky" or that good. Sorry.

Last edited: