Jake Ferguson by the numbers

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Why? the Cowboys run a 12 offense. Plus he is a good special teams player.
Yes Dallas drafting him had zero to do with Ferguson. It had everything to do with only having Hendershot and McKeon on the roster behind him. It's also the reason Princeton Fant and John Stevens Jr. will still be in the mix. I'm shocked that Cowboys fans think they only play with one TE. Like LB it's one of the more important positions to have depth because they're in line blockers, split out receivers, H-Backs, and special teams contributors. All one has to do is look at Schoon's snap count to see he's coming along nicely. The expectations for rookies on this forum are comical at times. Jake Ferguson caught 19 balls with 2 TDs his rookie season. Schoonmaker has caught 7 balls with 2 TDs his rookie season and still has 4 games and the playoffs ahead of him.

Proof

Reaction score
Yes Dallas drafting him had zero to do with Ferguson. It had everything to do with only having Hendershot and McKeon on the roster behind him. It's also the reason Princeton Fant and John Stevens Jr. will still be in the mix. I'm shocked that Cowboys fans think they only play with one TE. Like LB it's one of the more important positions to have depth because they're in line blockers, split out receivers, H-Backs, and special teams contributors. All one has to do is look at Schoon's snap count to see he's coming along nicely. The expectations for rookies on this forum are comical at times. Jake Ferguson caught 19 balls with 2 TDs his rookie season. Schoonmaker has caught 7 balls with 2 TDs his rookie season and still has 4 games and the playoffs ahead of him.
i'm curious the number of teams that carry 4+ te's, and how many spend premium draft capital when they have 3 on the roster. also ferg was a 4th rounder behind an established schulz. hardly seems comparable even if i agree with your larger points

CCBoy

Reaction score
i'm curious the number of teams that carry 4+ te's, and how many spend premium draft capital when they have 3 on the roster. also ferg was a 4th rounder behind an established schulz. hardly seems comparable even if i agree with your larger points
First, Schultz who?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Forget Pro Bowl. He is playing at All-Pro level.

The past two weeks. He's quite a bit behind other players, including the rookie Sam LaPorta overall. But since we're mainly concerned about our playoff run, this is good to see.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I love the kid, he's playing at an elite level. A real weapon and playmaker.

My only concern is I feel a taunting penalty is on the horizon. I get it, he's a stud and he's pumped.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
George Kittle is the All-pro this year. Also, not sure if Ferguson will get the nod over Kelce.

Buy Ferguson is definitely playing really well
When they have to calculate a stat over just the last two games, you know you're dealing with an unrepresentative sample.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You can get one of those tight ends in the later rounds. Not the second round. That’s my point. Nothing to do with personnel

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ferguson has really popped in his second season. Another example of why the Dak yard is so important in the offseason. I thought he was a total JAG and insiders like Brian Broaddus said other said Hendershot was more impressive last season.

I just don’t understand the hate for Schoonmaker. This is not like the Cowboys drafting Joseph. He has been solid the last month as a second tight end and is a seam stretcher. Let’s see what happens in his second season after he goes into the Dak yard. If anything we have a solid tight end room for the next few years.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I have to say, I am getting excited not just for this year, but for the next five years or so. I know Dak is 30, but for a QB that is just entering prime years, we have a top 5 WR that is just entering his prime, a top 5 young OL, a potential top 5 TE that is young, one of the top pass rushers in history that is young, and TWO top-five CBs that are also young. Plus, we also have, hands down, our best HC since Bill.

Those are great building blocks to build something special.
Not sure if I can agree about top 5 young OL. Unless you’re talking only about Tyler Smith. OL is a collective and ours definitely isn’t young and probably not top 5. I agree with everything else. But our OL can be our downfall if we don’t address it. You remember all those years of Romo’s career wasted with Phil Costa and those other scrubs?

starfan1

Reaction score
I am hearing this a lot and it has to be a reason for taking a TE in the second. Maybe Ferg didn’t show enough last year and during all the practices and meeting to make the organization feel good about him. Yes he had moments last year but I’m guessing he just didn’t show enough. Then this year happens and he takes one of those second year leaps that not many makes.
look at last year there were plenty of signs that he and hendershot could man the ship. I get the concern with blocking (if that was it) you just dont spend a second on a blocking TE. Now theres an argument for the future with Schoon and his blocking ability and having 2 quality TEs for different sets

I just think it was dumb. in fact at this point I consider the entire 23 draft a flop. The best pick is on IR

starfan1

Reaction score
Ferguson has really popped in his second season. Another example of why the Dak yard is so important in the offseason. I thought he was a total JAG and insiders like Brian Broaddus said other said Hendershot was more impressive last season.

I just don’t understand the hate for Schoonmaker. This is not like the Cowboys drafting Joseph. He has been solid the last month as a second tight end and is a seam stretcher. Let’s see what happens in his second season after he goes into the Dak yard. If anything we have a solid tight end room for the next few years.
I dont necessarily think its Schoon hate its more they passed on bigger needs. I was upset that round 1 and 2 appeared to be reaches. We needed both Ol and RB and we crapped the bed on both. Its early though and both of these players could be solid contributers down the road. We are in win now mode though you just dont spend a second for blocking TE. I am also not happy with round 1 pick but he has a chance to shut me up in the coming weeks.