Jalen Tolbert and Ka'Vonte Turpin

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Michael Gallup underperformed his big contract extension. Coming off the ACL surgery, he never rounded back into the form the Cowboys coaches and fans were expecting. Now the Cowboys have moved on, and many are apprehensive about who will replace Gallup.

But two seasons ago, the Cowboys acquired two rookies in the offseason of 2022 that they will be counting on to fill the role vacated by Gallup. Two years ago, Gallup was a big flop playing the #2 receiver role, and Jalen Tolbert had an awful rookie season. Nevertheless, Turpin played a big role on special teams, making the Pro Bowl as a returner. But Kellen Moore only made sparing use of Turpin in the offense - mostly as a runner and not a receiver. This was despite Turpin winning the MVP of the league in the USFL before joining the Cowboys.

But last season, Mike McCarthy made much better use of both Tolbert and Turpin as receivers. Neither were standouts as receiver. But both showed that they can be productive in the NFL. Between these two players, they should be well able to replace the 2 catches per game that Gallup gave the Cowboys a year ago.

We’ll see if the receivers acquired in 2023 and 2024 can contribute. But the Cowboys offense was pretty good last year, and there is no good reason to disbelieve that Tolbert and Turpin won’t both take a step forward in 2024.

The Cowboys’ key to offensive success in 2024 is mostly dependent upon their revamped Oline - losing two starters that were Pro Bowl players. If the young Olinemen can produce, the Cowboys have enough talent playing behind #88 to be successful in the passing game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Gallup underperformed his big contract extension. Coming off the ACL surgery, he never rounded back into the form the Cowboys coaches and fans were expecting. Now the Cowboys have moved on, and many are apprehensive about who will replace Gallup.
Apprehensive about who will replace Gallup? It's Tolbert. He started taking snaps from Gallup last year. The Cowboys didn't sign any WR FA's or draft one until late. It's clear WR3 is his job to lose and they think he can do it.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Apprehensive about who will replace Gallup? It's Tolbert. He started taking snaps from Gallup last year. The Cowboys didn't sign any WR FA's or draft one until late. It's clear WR3 is his job to lose and they think he can do it.
I agree, but I've seen a lot of fans on this site that are apparently very concerned because the Cowboys didn't spend yet another high pick on a WR. And after the draft, I've seen the Cowboys media and pundits spending whole programs discussing the "question" of who replaces Gallup, as if the answer isn't obvious. Tolbert was a 3rd round pick. Of course he's the replacement for Gallup.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Tolbert looks the part and the skills are there. I think he may very well be a bright spot this year.

Then, say you go into 2025 with him as a reliable WR2….from there you’ve either gotta pay him or watch him walk.

Yet another problem with Stevie’s draft only plan…..most of these guys, if they don’t bust entirely, take a few years to develop. Once they get there, there’s a very small window, then have to pay up or lose them.

Jarntt

Reaction score
If CeeDee and Cooks do their job we will be fine at WR this year. I think Tolbert and Turpin will have expanded roles and if we need to add another WR into the 3-4-5 mix it won't be a problem finding one. am also looking forward to seeing Flournoy in camp, not that I expect anything from him this year but I did like the pick.

Creeper

Reaction score
Defenses will try to take CeeDee out of the game after seeing what happened against GB. It clearly frustrates CeeDee. I think the expectations to Tolbert as misplaced. He is in his 3rd year, why should we expect him to suddenly step up in a big way and become a productive player?

Everyone should lower their expectations. Two rookies starting on the OL, a RB squad that looks suspect. And a bunch of JAG WRs with the hope 1 will emerge, while Terence Steele and Zack Martin improve over last year is a lot of wishful thinking.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Yeah, we know it’s Tolbert, that’s why there is apprehension.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Somethings never change.
Hand wringing and teeth gnashing over underachieving JAGs while other teams cash in on comp picks and FA.
Blimey.
This is the part of Cowboys culture I do not fancy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"Apprehensive" doesn't mean "wondering". People have their doubts about him, and as hot and cold as he was, I don't blame them.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Honestly WR3 replacement should be drafted every year, with the learning curve of the NFL receivers really come into their own year 3 or 4 so when their rookie contract is most likely over. If they develop into a #2 great if not next one up.

JBS

Reaction score
That’s a dumb plan. He’s shown absolutely nothing to warrant he’s capable of being a starting WR in this league

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Tolbert plays a step behind and petrified. I look forward to not even noticing him during games.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Seriously, we are talking about replacing 2 catches per game. Gallup had 34 catches in 17 games. Those catches could go to Schoonmaker, Ferguson, Tolbert, Turpin, or even some other young player. They could even go to Zeke or another RB, coming out of the backfield. Let's stop acting like it's going to be impossible to replace 2 catches per game.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That’s a dumb plan. He’s shown absolutely nothing to warrant he’s capable of being a starting WR in this league
Did you watch with your eyes closed. The kid made a couple of very important catches in leveraged situations. He's making the jump from a small school program to the big leagues. Some adjustment was inevitable, especially given there was already a few pro-bowl caliber receivers on the roster when he got here. I don't know that he's going to explode this year but I have a feeling he's going to provide the big body over the middle that we need as well as the ability to outmuscle DBs for 50/50 balls. It has never been able talent with him, just confidence. If he continues to build on last season he will be fine.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the biggest thing is having a plan for when good teams take away CD. Mike has got to put Tolbert in positions to succeed, play to his strengths as well as the other skill players.

JBS

Reaction score
Did you watch with your eyes closed. The kid made a couple of very important catches in leveraged situations. He's making the jump from a small school program to the big leagues. Some adjustment was inevitable, especially given there was already a few pro-bowl caliber receivers on the roster when he got here. I don't know that he's going to explode this year but I have a feeling he's going to provide the big body over the middle that we need as well as the ability to outmuscle DBs for 50/50 balls. It has never been able talent with him, just confidence. If he continues to build on last season he will be fine.
Hahahahah. Yeah let’s have him be a starting WR in the nfl. Brilliant plan. Not.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Tolbert will never be better than Gallup was last year.
The great thing about stuff like this is we will get to see it play out for real very shortly. I'm not sure Tolbert ever reaches the point of 1100 yard receiver Gallup but I think he has more than enough juice to surpass gimpy 400 yard/ 2TD Gallup.