Twitter: Jamal Adams asks to be traded

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't understand where this opposition to trades came from...

Bill Belichick has 6 rings and trades for players.

Jimmy Johnson traded for players.

Bill Walsh traded for players.

Just ridiculous to think trades are not a part of building championship caliber teams.

I don't disagree. I did not mind the Cooper trade because he was young enough to make it worth our while. When you start trading for old players that does become a concern because you don't exactly know when or how much drop off there will be within the play. In the case of Adams he is 24 to me that is a big selling point, however as I mentioned above, if his asking price is around that 20 mill a year area then I would pass.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't understand where this opposition to trades came from...

Bill Belichick has 6 rings and trades for players.

Jimmy Johnson traded for players.

Bill Walsh traded for players.

Just ridiculous to think trades are not a part of building championship caliber teams.

Yeah the occasional trade. Not trading a first for a WR in 2019 then a safety in 2021. And low level trades not a first rounder ever other year. If you don't see those 5 year rookie deals as important I don't now what to tell you. Bellichick is on anther planet and he's usually trading players away not bringing them in. And Jimmy Johnson didn't have a salary cap. And he still wasn't trading away first round picks. in 5 years he had 7 first rounders and 7 2nd rounders and he kept them. He stockpiled picks and built a dynasty.

Reaction score
Didn't Mack have all the cards on the table from the get go?

He trumped every other edge rusher for AAV and got a record 90mil in guarantees, including 60mil signing bonus.
Even to this day, no edge rusher, 3-4/4-3 DE has come close to his deal.

What advantage did the Bears gain signing him ASAP?

His deal put him 4.5mil more per year than Von Miller(previous highest paid edge at the time) and 18 mil more SB.

They gave him a million more than Aaron Donald in terms of AAV, but Donald only got 40mil signing bonus.

Don't get me wrong, Mack was the best two way edge player and was paid deservedly so, but, it's not like the Bears got a discount by signing him ASAP. They had to sign him asap as he was threatening the Raiders to holdout and not play on his tender.

Cooper has the same agent as Mack. Mack wanted a deal ASAP, Cooper didn't.

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-deal-not-a-big-deal-for-cowboys-amari-cooper-0ap3000001037577

I'm not saying don't re-sign Adams right away even if his side is willing to actually negotiate. Just saying it's not necessary to re-sign asap, especially if the player isn't forcing the issue. Even though personally I would like to see a new deal asap to lower future cap hits by prorating SB in the ELC contract.
Well the Raiders didn't have to trade him. They could have let him sit on his couch all year. Or many years if they wanted to. The Raiders did have some leverage.

Mack's first year in Chicago, he was a beast. Without that deal, he commands $25M a year minimum after the year he had. But because he was signed, the Bears were set. The Bears saved money.

Last year, Mack didn't play at his usual level. Not sure if he was hurt or what. But when he's not playing well, you are better off paying $22M than $25M.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes he is looking at around 20 mill, that was being reported yesterday and today. He is not looking just at top safety money. I like him but not at a price tag around that area.
Well then it's a no.

He cant expect to reset the market at the position by a full 20%, and I havent heard that.

No one is paying him 20M, and as much as I want him here, if that's what he wants, then I dont want him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I havent seen where he wants to not only be the top paid safety, but then 5M a year on top of that.

Not sure where that came from, but isnt likely true, because it would be an unprecedented situation by a longshot.

Again, if it IS, then it nothing else matters because he will never get it. Not from anyone.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I hear everyone's point about how trading high picks for players catches up to a team, but that isnt the case in Dallas, whether they get Adams or not.

They aren't over the cap now, and that accounts for about what Prescott will average over the life of his deal.

They have done a great job in structuring their big deals, and itll make every bit of financial sense to get out of the deals for 19, 21 and 54 after 2021.

There is NO ONE else we want to keep who we may lose as a result of "going for it" now.

The next guys that need to get paid are LVE and Gallup, and they will have to choose between him and Cooper anyway.

The DBs coming up this year we arent going to want to keep anyway.

If those dudes play all that well, someone else will give them big money, and this years draft prevents us from going there for them. If they dont, we dont want them anyway.

Connor Williams is gone after 2021 aslo.

LVE and Gallup need deals, but not until the above mentioned guys are released.

If you dont want Adams, all fine, but the cap shouldnt be why, or even part of it.

Reactions: BAT

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is no player in the draft better than him most likely.

He's arguably the best defensive player in football.
He's not even the best safety in football let alone defensive player. That's EXTREME. I'm not trading all of that for a strong safety. Ed Reed at 25 ok. I'm down. Earl Thomas at 25. I'm down. But don't for one second fool yourself into thinking he's of the caliber of those guys.

Big_D

Reaction score
I hear everyone's point about how trading high picks for players catches up to a team, but that isnt the case in Dallas, whether they get Adams or not.

They aren't over the cap now, and that accounts for about what Prescott will average over the life of his deal.

They have done a great job in structuring their big deals, and itll make every bit of financial sense to get out of the deals for 19, 21 and 54 after 2021.

There is NO ONE else we want to keep who we may lose as a result of "going for it" now.

The next guys that need to get paid are LVE and Gallup, and they will have to choose between him and Cooper anyway.

The DBs coming up this year we arent going to want to keep anyway.

If those dudes play all that well, someone else will give them big money, and this years draft prevents us from going there for them. If they dont, we dont want them anyway.

Connor Williams is gone after 2021 aslo.

LVE and Gallup need deals, but not until the above mentioned guys are released.

If you dont want Adams, all fine, but the cap shouldnt be why, or even part of it.

Yeah but you're not accounting for anything else. Future starters as well as depth. Upcoming contracts aren't the only thing. You need to fill a solid 53 ultimately that's the goal. They'll have like what 70 percent of their cap tied up in 8 players? It will be a problem at some point even if it isn't this year.

Depth in areas but aging. Lee. Poe, McCoy, Crawford, Aldon Smith. All short term, all will need to be addressed. I'm hoping for the best but you have to plan otherwise. This team built properly with this offense can compete for a long time. You bring in Thomas and you cut what could be hopefully a sustainable decade into about 3 years. And don't mistake this for dislike of Adams. Like I said if they made smarter decisions this could be on the table right now. But they don't. Too many gambles and too many holes.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’d give them a 2nd and pay him what he wants...

Tough to give up a 1st and immediately pay a player TOP money at his position

but I’ll be honest I feel this team is in WIN NOW mode.... this Oline ain’t getting younger(hell it already lost a key cog)

I’m also the kind of fan who isn’t demanding a dynasty... hell I’d be perfectly happy with a super bowl win every decade

I think we'd have to give up a first, and I'm totally OK with that for an All-Pro safety. But the question is what else the Jets want.

Two firsts is out of the question IMO. A first and a player would depend on the player.

From a position of strength, we could trade them Connor Williams, but I'd cut the pick to a second since he's a starter. We could trade them Awuzie, Lewis or Xavier Woods, but I'd probably offer the same deal as with Williams for Awuzie.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I want everyone AGAINST this to tell me exactly how much you've seen this guy play.

How many of you were ok dealing a 1st for the 24 year old Cooper?

How many of you complain about the bad safety play in game threads?

How many of you think this defense is fine with no vocal leader?

Selling sunglasses and calling themselves Hotboyz or whatever is what we have. Corny and weak.

Adams would come in here and set the tone, and lead the whole deal, but no, cant pay him. Carry money to next year and draft the next Taco with that pick.

Nothing wrong with admitting you havent seen the guy play other than last October, you think we would lose someone we want to keep by paying him, and that you want the entertainment of the draft when it comes so you overrate picks.

-I have seen almost every game Adams has played in his NFL Career, he is a very good player, but doesn't play at a premium position. On defense you pay top dollar for pass rush and elite, coverage corners.

-Didn't like giving up a 1st rd draft pick for Cooper, but he does play at a premium position. The results suggest the Cowboys won big on the trade as he changed the offense immediately in which the team came back and won the division/playoff game.

-Why cannot Lve become the vocal leader of the defense? Usually the team's MLB is the captain of the unit, where he will be playing this season. In his rookie year when healthy, he was a legitimate star at the position. He is expected to return at full , strength this year. Don't rule out Gerald McCoy in the short-term, either.

-There are serious, future ramificiations on any deal with the Jets acquiring Adams. First off the Cowboys have to resign their QB and it probably going to be shorter than the front office would like. Add in the salary cap is suppose to decrease next season and the entire secondary is scheduled to become unrestricted fa's. Spending on the open market to land a starting CB is extremely expensive, team would have to hope they can land a quality CB in day 2 of the draft as the compensation would be at least a first rd pick. Just look what happened to the Rams after they acquired Ramsey, they had to gut their team this off-season due to cap concerns. The likes of resigning Gallup, Lve could be affected as well. Team needs to control quality players at an affordable rate to sustain success and cap flexibility.

-I think any fan would love to add a Jamal Adams, but many would agree we aren't one player away from building a championship caliber defense. The cost of acquiring him and resigning him are just too high. Team needs to use legitimate draft capital to draft and develop the safety position at a more affordable rate then setting the market for the top safety.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah but you're not accounting for anything else. Future starters as well as depth. Upcoming contracts aren't the only thing. You need to fill a solid 53 ultimately that's the goal. They'll have like what 70 percent of their cap tied up in 8 players? It will be a problem at some point even if it isn't this year.

Depth in areas but aging. Lee. Poe, McCoy, Crawford, Aldon Smith. All short term, all will need to be addressed. I'm hoping for the best but you have to plan otherwise. This team built properly with this offense can compete for a long time. You bring in Thomas and you cut what could be hopefully a sustainable decade into about 3 years. And don't mistake this for dislike of Adams. Like I said if they made smarter decisions this could be on the table right now. But they don't. Too many gambles and too many holes.
Who cant we keep by adding another player via trade now? Forget about who it is.

fivetwos

Reaction score
-I have seen almost every game Adams has played in his NFL Career, he is a very good player, but doesn't play at a premium position. On defense you pay top dollar for pass rush and elite, coverage corners.

-Didn't like giving up a 1st rd draft pick for Cooper, but he does play at a premium position. The results suggest the Cowboys won big on the trade as he changed the offense immediately in which the team came back and won the division/playoff game.

-Why cannot Lve become the vocal leader of the defense? Usually the team's MLB is the captain of the unit, where he will be playing this season. In his rookie year when healthy, he was a legitimate star at the position. He is expected to return at full , strength this year. Don't rule out Gerald McCoy in the short-term, either.

-There are serious, future ramificiations on any deal with the Jets acquiring Adams. First off the Cowboys have to resign their QB and it probably going to be shorter than the front office would like. Add in the salary cap is suppose to decrease next season and the entire secondary is scheduled to become unrestricted fa's. Spending on the open market to land a starting CB is extremely expensive, team would have to hope they can land a quality CB in day 2 of the draft as the compensation would be at least a first rd pick. Just look what happened to the Rams after they acquired Ramsey, they had to gut their team this off-season due to cap concerns. The likes of resigning Gallup, Lve could be affected as well. Team needs to control quality players at an affordable rate to sustain success and cap flexibility.

-I think any fan would love to add a Jamal Adams, but many would agree we aren't one player away from building a championship caliber defense. The cost of acquiring him and resigning him are just too high. Team needs to use legitimate draft capital to draft and develop the safety position at a more affordable rate then setting the market for the top safety.
Well then let's find LVE and tell him he needs to be the vocal leader. Sounds great to me.

Where besides safety can you change anything on the current defensive plan to make it better this year?

It's going to come down to choosing between not cutting Cooper or resigning Gallup after 2021, not gonna be both unless Lamb busts entirely.

Ramsey wasnt a missing piece for Rams. They traded an arguably better player to make room and it was a curious decision.

Everyone that's against a 1st and a 3rd for an All Pro had better lose their minds around here if they draft a safety with the first pick next year if not traded for Adams.

I'll keep saying it. The cap and acquiring ANY player right now arent related. If you think so you're speaking generally, which is true, but not necessarily for this team at this time.

Big_D

Reaction score
Well then let's find LVE and tell him he needs to be the vocal leader. Sounds great to me.

Where besides safety can you change anything on the current defensive plan to make it better this year?

It's going to come down to choosing between not cutting Cooper or resigning Gallup after 2021, not gonna be both unless Lamb busts entirely.

Ramsey wasnt a missing piece for Rams. They traded an arguably better player to make room and it was a curious decision.

Everyone that's against a 1st and a 3rd for an All Pro had better lose their minds around here if they draft a safety with the first pick next year if not traded for Adams.

I'll keep saying it. The cap and acquiring ANY player right now arent related. If you think so you're speaking generally, which is true, but not necessarily for this team at this time.

Why would I lose my mind? that's the smart move. Young safety on a 5 year rookie deal. That's what we need right now. And probably the much more likely scenario. Cause you don't just want to improve at safety. There's a lot of areas needed here. plus a 3rd rounder too? lol. I guess we can't get a quality guy there either? This is the problem in a nut shell. Pretty much Jerry's problem for 25 years. He had zero clue how to draft a team. So he tried to purchase one or trade for it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

-We have to see how Nolan uses the safety position this season, what I have read, he wants his safeties back and covering half of the field. It sounds like not the traditional FS/SS roles. If that's the case, Adams wouldn't be used towards his strengths inside the box.

-When the Rams traded for Ramsey it destroyed their cap structure for the long-term. The best thing about drafting is controlling quality players at an affordable rate. Giving up high draft capital and now have to set the market to retain him, could be franchise altering as many high priced players had to go. A similar situation could happen with the Cowboys in such a trade. The price tag is going to be at least a #1 and a 2nd rd pick. The Jets wanted two #1's and a OL last time around. Cap structure isn't just about the current season, but many project out for multiple years to maintain cap flexibility. Certainly can free up the space to acquire him, but it will affect future deals. By the way, the Jets don't want to deal him and they are hoping he will play on his current contract. It is my understanding the new cba deal makes is far tougher to hold out if under contract.

-Safeties and especially strong safeties aren't in high demand any longer. They usually start coming off the board at the start of day 2. Two years ago the Cowboys had several options late in rd 2, but chose not to address the need. Point is, very possible to draft a quality strong safety after the first round. No they won't be as good as Adams, but they can be very productive at the position, at a much lower cost.

-In my opinion, Adams helps the run defense in a big way, but isn't enough to turn this defense into championship caliber. They are multiple players away from doing this. It's like that Zeke/Ramsey pre-draft discussion, drafting Zeke made more of an impact then drafting Ramsey as the defense wasn't one starter away. We could make the same argument this year in regards to Lamb/Chaisson.

-I will be very surprised if the Jets decide to deal him, if they were truly serious they would of pulled the trigger on draft weekend when they could of obtained the highest price.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think we're gonna see much different safety play with a better front 7. A more productive rotation up front. This team ignored DT for a long time. And it killed them. Stuck with a philosophy that never worked. Got ran over in a playoff game and their answer was Trysten Hill and a few bottom of the barrel FA scrappings. This D sucked under Marinelli from day 1.. Starts up front and McCarthy seems to realize this compared to the nitwits before him. Another reason not to overspend at safety!

erod

Reaction score
He's not even the best safety in football let alone defensive player. That's EXTREME. I'm not trading all of that for a strong safety. Ed Reed at 25 ok. I'm down. Earl Thomas at 25. I'm down. But don't for one second fool yourself into thinking he's of the caliber of those guys.
He single-handedly whipped Dallas last year.

Best safety in football.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Why would I lose my mind? that's the smart move. Young safety on a 5 year rookie deal. That's what we need right now. And probably the much more likely scenario. Cause you don't just want to improve at safety. There's a lot of areas needed here. plus a 3rd rounder too? lol. I guess we can't get a quality guy there either? This is the problem in a nut shell. Pretty much Jerry's problem for 25 years. He had zero clue how to draft a team. So he tried to purchase one or trade for it.
Draft one that has at least a 50% chance to bust vs trading for one that you KNOW is All Pro so you don't have to pay him when you dont have cap issues?

Sure. Let's just never go for it and keep loving those draft picks and complaining about how we cant get over the top.

Everyone thinks every draft pick is a guarantee.

Giving up an extra 3rd to ensure your 1st round safety doesnt bust is a small price to pay.

But I forgot. Dallas doesnt bust picks anymore. Every one of them is a stud now.