Twitter: Jamal Adams asks to be traded

jaybeware

Reaction score
Adding Him instantly makes our defense better and smarter. He knows how to play at an elite level...No brainer if we are in win now mode...which we are...regardless.

I do agree with our owner on one point; that being you cannot win in this league without taking chances...
So go get Adams and lets roll the dice.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Can you imagine if these forums would have been around in August of 1992?

We shouldn't trade for him. He's all about himself. He can't get along with coaches. He picked a fight with their star player. Who cares if he's made multiple Pro Bowls and been named All Pro? Good teams don't trade draft picks for these type of players.

These things NEVER work out.

546l1_lg.jpeg

charles-haley-five-super-bowls.jpg

haley

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jamal-adams-jets-trade-cowboys

Some quotes:

"As Gil Brandt of NFL.com identified, the Cowboys’ secondary roster hole is one of the biggest in the NFL."

"Adams, and a little luck at corner, takes the Cowboys from small favorites to win the NFC East and places them squarely in the conversation with the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints as expected NFC contenders."

"But it’s still worth hoping, for Dallas’ sake, that they can profit off the Jets’ floundering roster and grab one of the league’s best young safeties for the final years of his rookie discount and make a real run at it in 2020."

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want everyone AGAINST this to tell me exactly how much you've seen this guy play.

How many of you were ok dealing a 1st for the 24 year old Cooper?

How many of you complain about the bad safety play in game threads?

How many of you think this defense is fine with no vocal leader?

Selling sunglasses and calling themselves Hotboyz or whatever is what we have. Corny and weak.

Adams would come in here and set the tone, and lead the whole deal, but no, cant pay him. Carry money to next year and draft the next Taco with that pick.

Nothing wrong with admitting you havent seen the guy play other than last October, you think we would lose someone we want to keep by paying him, and that you want the entertainment of the draft when it comes so you overrate picks.

I reviewed all of Adam's snaps in 16 games.

He is a terrific player; however, he is a Safety, Strong Safety.

Safety is a lower position value than WR and SS is lower than FS.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I looked into this cause I wasn't sure, apparently this doesn't apply to Adams, as he is stilling playing on his rookie deal. The new rules states mandatory fines for a player holding out beyond their rookie contracts. I player like D. Hopkins couldn't holdout without absorbing huge penalties, but the likes of Adams would occur no such penalty. However, Adams cannot holdout for the season as he won't be able to accrue the season to get closer to fa.

That's what I thought. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to confirm, thanks!

:thumbup:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This. The safety position is so underappreciated and a true War Daddy who will challenge the rest of the D (which we have not had since Ken Norton Jr. or Darren Woodson) would be worth at least a first and 3rd or 4th.

Patrick Chung has been the starting SS on 3 Super Bowl winning rosters...

He has never made the Pro Bowl or been selected as All Pro.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes because rolling with 6th rounders back there has worked well for us, just as long as we dont PAY him, and push money not used to next year, OR heaven forbid trade a 1st rounder and make the draft not so entertaining next year.

At some point it has to be about making a move that puts you over that top, not carrying over cap dollars or keeping picks to have fun with the draft, when they are far from guarantees.

There are many options between giving up multiple premium draft picks and a huge amount of cap space for SS Jamal Adams and what the Cowboys have had at Safety for many years.

If they're going to use those resources on 1 player, how about a legit RDE...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Patrick Chung has been the starting SS on 3 Super Bowl winning rosters...

He has never made the Pro Bowl or been selected as All Pro.
And the other ten guys on those squads were way better than what we are running out there.

Certain positions are more important, but not to the point that any particular position doesnt matter.

Playmakers and leaders can do so from any position, and Dallas lacks both good safety play and defensive leadership. He brings both.

I have to tap the brakes on advocating this trade a bit since looking a little closer into the Elliott contract and that he is going to be getting top dollar for longer than I thought.

I keep calculating the Adams cost at the picks only, but it may very well be at the expense of keeping someone like Gallup or LVE as well.

It starts to not make sense in that case.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Lololol...liability in coverage...couldn't be off by more if you tried
when he doesn't get flagged, he's great. When he gets singled out by refs, he's awful. Great BOX safety...great run stopper and can get to the QB..but Im not overpaying for that position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the other ten guys on those squads were way better than what we are running out there.

Certain positions are more important, but not to the point that any particular position doesnt matter.

Playmakers and leaders can do so from any position, and Dallas lacks both good safety play and defensive leadership. He brings both.

I have to tap the brakes on advocating this trade a bit since looking a little closer into the Elliott contract and that he is going to be getting top dollar for longer than I thought.

I keep calculating the Adams cost at the picks only, but it may very well be at the expense of keeping someone like Gallup or LVE as well.

It starts to not make sense in that case.

The 1st thing you have to consider when looking at trades for veteran players that require a big contract, is what can you get in free agency by spend big money on that position but without giving up any picks.

Once you do that, then it's not a comparison to a "6th round pick".

For the 2020 roster if they had traded a 1st and 3rd for Adams during the 2019 off-season:

Jamal Adams (15M per)

or

Adrian Amos (9M per)
CeeDee Lamb
Neville Gallimore
Gerald McCoy (The 6M saved per year with Amos instead of Adams pays all of McCoy's salary)

Kwyn

Reaction score
It wouldn't be just those two players though. It would be two players plus other players we could get with that cap space.

Would you trade a 1st and 3rd for the best punter in the league? If not, then you understand the concept of positional value.

Let’s just get an entire team full of hit or miss rookies and mid-low tier free agents.

I’m sure that will put us over the top.

This team has a window. Playing this game year after year of kicking the can down the road until lightning strikes and “Hope” and “luck” somehow magically take us to the super bowl is a sure fire path to mediocrity.

We’ve been living it for the past decade.

We have what could be our best offense since the 90’s Cowboys.

That was a team that needed to make some big moves to being in big time defensive players in order to win

The formula is there. It’s been proven here with our team.

This plan of year after year of playing fantasy GM trying to build a dynasty has failed. We need to go for it right now.

Reactions: BAT

Kwyn

Reaction score
Adams is a liability in coverage...and he made it about HIM. Yet another white buffalo we are chasing lol.
Don’t spread this blatant untruth.

You must be repeating what you heard in the echo chamber of the FanZone
  • 55.3% completion rate
  • 75.2 passer rating when targeted
A liability? Those are really good numbers.

do your homework

Reaction score
The 1st thing you have to consider when looking at trades for veteran players that require a big contract, is what can you get in free agency by spend big money on that position but without giving up any picks.

Once you do that, then it's not a comparison to a "6th round pick".

For the 2020 roster if they had traded a 1st and 3rd for Adams during the 2019 off-season:

Jamal Adams (15M per)

or

Adrian Amos (9M per)
CeeDee Lamb
Neville Gallimore
Gerald McCoy (The 6M saved per year with Amos instead of Adams pays all of McCoy's salary)
Adrian Amos?

Kwyn

Reaction score
I reviewed all of Adam's snaps in 16 games.

He is a terrific player; however, he is a Safety, Strong Safety.

Safety is a lower position value than WR and SS is lower than FS.

Here’s a snip from the article linked above

“He’s already been a Swiss-army knife for the Jets, and in 2019 he lined up at both safety spots, two different linebacker roles, outside and slot cornerback, and edge rusher.”

If you had actually watched every snap you would know this.

the data is available at PFF as well.

here’s another great article about his versatility

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/06/toj-new-york-jets-film-breakdown-the-versatility-of-jamal-adams/

here’s a sports illustrated article about the same thing

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-jamal-adams-makes-pff-top-50

Pro Football Focus ranks him as the 20th best player in the NFL

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-50-best-players-entering-the-2020-season

“Adams can line up anywhere and cover, defend the run or even rush the passer as a legitimate edge rusher on any given snap — and he does it all at a high level. Adams isn’t redefining the safety position as much as he’s pioneering a completely new role on defense.”