Jameson Williams at 24

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless you use the draft as an extension of free agency and fill current needs you are "football challenged".

Every year we hear from the football challenged fans that think offense is about skill position players like WR's and RB's. The WR crazy fans come out EVERY year.

Fixing the Oline is priority #1. You take WR in the first 3 rounds and it wouldnt make a shred of difference on gameday with a bad Oline that cant block and is penalty stricken.

I cant truly believe the Cowboys are dumb enough to take a WR at #1 with a top guard sitting there. Especially in a WR heavy draft where you can get a good one in the 3rd round.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Unless you use the draft as an extension of free agency and fill current needs you are "football challenged".

WR is a minor need. We need a 4th receiver thats about it. No need to blow a first round pick on one.

Beaker42

Reaction score
If Lamb is a 90 catch 1,300 yard guy, he wont get the usage to justify it. I dont see him as as good a prospect as Lamb was. I wouldn't consider him over a DE if they were close. There should be several potential 10 sack caliber DE's at 24
I actually want Wyatt at 24. Pair him with Gallimore and let’s go.

ghst187

Reaction score
Him, Olave, or Dotson are the only WRs I’d consider in rd1. But def bigger OL and DL needs

JBS

Reaction score
London, Williams, Olave, or Burks. One of them should be available at 24.

Proof

Reaction score
If they are going to use a 1st on a WR, they need to consider the skill set of their QB. Not all of these highly ranked WR’s are a great fit.

Just how much is DAL a vertical team? How beneficial is a deep threat vs a possession WR?

let's just walk this out. even if dak weren't able to take full advantage of a speedy deep threat, what does just having one do for the underneath?

Creeper

Reaction score
I seriously doubt he would be there at 24, if he was go get him at least it would be good value. What I don't get is how the team that likes to go into the draft not having needs dictate picks has so many needs. Go spend $5 or $6 million and get another FA WR.

Jameson Williams is still on the road back from an ACL injury. That path might be shorter than expected.

Williams spoke with NFL Network's James Palmer at Alabama's pro day on Wednesday and revealed he's ahead of schedule.

"Right now, I'm about 10 weeks out of surgery, the timescale I was getting was about 5-7 months, and I'm ahead of schedule, so with me being 10 weeks, we're just getting a lot of movement, a lot of good workouts in," Williams told Palmer. "I'm in the pool and everything, a slight jog, really getting to do high-knees, butt kicks and things like that, just getting back in the motions. Everything is going good so far, with me being this far out and this far down the process, and it's not that far it's just the beginning, so I think I would say everything's going good so far."

Most important to the receiver's draft stock is when that timeline ends, with training camp being a key target. If a team is going to spend a first-round pick on Williams, it would logically like to have him in time for the season to start, though it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Alabama WR Jameson Williams says he's 'ahead of schedule' in ACL rehab, hopes to be ready for training camp (nfl.com)

I am just starting to get serious about the draft, but so far I have read about 50 players who will not be there at 24. Not a dig but someone has to fall to 24. We just have to hope the guys who fall are positions of need.

morasp

Reaction score
I am just starting to get serious about the draft, but so far I have read about 50 players who will not be there at 24. Not a dig but someone has to fall to 24. We just have to hope the guys who fall are positions of need.
That's usually my line. With the news that Gallup is going to miss time I think they'll probably lean towards someone who would be available day one.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I know it won't be very popular but I would take Williams at 24 if he fell there. I would not turn down that kind of dynamic talent. He'd add a speed presence to the offense that it currently lacks. I'm not concerned about instant impact, positional needs and having two WRs coming off of ACLs this year. We can't win anything this year regardless. I'm collecting talent and I just can't imagine a better stock to purchase at 24.

It's not that I want to draft a WR, it's that the board will be telling me to.

I expect to reside alone on this island.

If he’s there and all they think he can be, and if we find OL improvements elsewhere, I’m good with this. But no matter how much talent you collect, the OL cannot keep fading. I also like some of the smaller slot receivers later, guys who bring the Beasley factor, but much faster and better runners.

Unless you find yourself with another Adams or T Hill, I see receivers like RBs, draft one every other year because there aren’t many, if any, pro bowlers that you want to sign to 2nd contracts. Build and maintain a strong OL and keep recycling the RBs and WRs on rookie contracts unless something generational happens or you are a championship team.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
That's usually my line. With the news that Gallup is going to miss time I think they'll probably lean towards someone who would be available day one.
Agreed, but you don’t need a #1 WR in the first round. Let’s remember what Gallup is. We can find a receiver to run with Lamb and Washington among vet FAs, rounds 2-5 of the draft, and other post draft arenas. Noah Brown is nothing special, but even he can play wr 3-4 for a couple games. Get the run game going this year, and we don’t need 3-4 top receivers.

morasp

Reaction score
Agreed, but you don’t need a #1 WR in the first round. Let’s remember what Gallup is. We can find a receiver to run with Lamb and Washington among vet FAs, rounds 2-5 of the draft, and other post draft arenas. Noah Brown is nothing special, but even he can play wr 3-4 for a couple games. Get the run game going this year, and we don’t need 3-4 top receivers.
I just posted almost the identical think in the fan zone this morning. But if a WR falls to 24 that they think is the best player they would be negligent to not consider him. In the mock draft I just ran I took Kenyoj green in round 1, Khalil Shakir in round 3, and Kevin Austin with one of the fifth round picks..