News: Jane Slater On How LVE’s Role Will Change Under Nolan

Little Jr

Reaction score
That concept fails against zone running teams.

When 2 OL and a TE all get free releases to block LBs and the LB are moving sideways, that's going to fail regardless who is playing LB.

It means the DL only occupied 3 OL.
Doesnt happen often with you, but I couldnt disagree more with this.

817Gill

Reaction score
I'm convinced that Jaylon was well over 250 in 2019. Roster weight listings are notoriously inaccurate but studying game footage and seeing Jaylon in street closes next to Quinn, he definitely appeared bigger than his 245 pound listed weight.
He was rocked up last year shoulders and arms, looked like he just focused on that all offseason. Might have affected his mobility who knows.

Dre11

Reaction score
No, the LB assignments are different in the Mike Nolan defense than in the Marinelli defense.

The OLB(s) often play up on or near the line and truly outside much like a 3-4 OLB alignment.

The MLB is a pure off-ball LB.

In the Marinelli scheme there was not a huge difference between MLB and OLB, especially in Nickel which they played about 70% of the snaps. The assignments were often dictated by right/left as much as anything. The WLB did have somewhat more coverage responsibilities but it was not an extreme difference.

You can't play the MLB off the ball in a 4-3, it's not going to work. They'll get gashed up the middle, Mark my word

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm convinced that Jaylon was well over 250 in 2019. Roster weight listings are notoriously inaccurate but studying game footage and seeing Jaylon in street closes next to Quinn, he definitely appeared bigger than his 245 pound listed weight.

Maybe, but we don't know one way or the other. A lot of players lose a bit of weight over the season, too.

Though agreed the weight listings aren't the gospel truth. LVE may have put on some weight also...

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I've thought LVE at Mike and Jaylon at Will was always the best setup. I'm glad we'll get to see it finally. The hell was Marinelli doing? How much of this defense was out of position?
Garrett was relying on old coaches to solve his problems.

Marinelli was super in his prime, not now.

Linehan was another former HC Garrett !earned on so he could play HC, not the jobs he was hired for as OC.

The whole staff was a patchquilt of over the hill coaches.

And Garrett rode them right into the ground.

I always hated in the old cowboy movies where the rider had to shoot his lame horse that had broken down.

Somebody should have put Garrett down alot sooner.