Jane Slater's Top 3 Draft Picks to watch

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The strategy MUST be trade down. Get Washington in the 30s. Use the extra 3 to grab a RB or G. 56 is Ika or Benton. 90 is RB or G. come away with a G, TE, DT and RB in the first 3 rounds.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Dude Witten ran a 4.65 at 6’6. He was borderline Gronk like as a prospect.
Clearly we have different viewpoints about the player, I feel despite his testing he is an excellent prospect at the position

Whyjerry

Reaction score
On another note how is Jane Slater not married? Is there not a guy alive that can lock her down?

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Those calling Mayer a meh pick really never watched him play

Working with frankly sub par QBs he produced huge. and he was awesome in the red zone despite having defenders draped all over him
That kind of meh is fine with me
Not to mention he is an EXCELLENT blocker both on the line and downfield
from mcginns anonymous scout article:

1. MICHAEL MAYER, Notre Dame (6-4 ½, 252, no 40, 1-2): Third-year junior left South Bend with 180 receptions, third on the school’s all-time list. “He’s everything you want off the field,” said one scout. “Typical Notre Dame guy. Arm length (31 5/8) is a little shorter than you want. He’s strong and powerful in run and pass. Good hands. Uses his body well to separate. Smart with the ball in his hands to get good RAC. Consistent player. Can compete for a starting job right out of the gate. I’d take him in the back half of the first.” Comes from a family filled with outstanding athletes. “He’s probably the best,” said a second scout. “He’s the most complete. Good route runner. Functional blocker. Very good (catching) in contested situations. Has good enough speed. I don’t think he’s a vertical threat down the seam. I don’t know if he’ll be a Pro Bowler but solid across the board.” Several scouts said he was a better prospect than Cole Kmet, another ex-Irish TE who went to the Bears in the second round in 2020. “I go with him No. 1 just because of his background,” said a third scout. “He’s a very solid short receiver. What did guys like Travis Kelce (4.63) and George Kittle (4.55) run? One thing he has, he knows how to position his body. He gets open by doing that. Now vertically, he is not going to help you at all. He makes a block effort, but is inconsistent.” Finished with those 180 catches for 2,099 (11.7) and 18 TDs. Scored 23 on the Wonderlic. “I thought he would be a conventional type tight end but he’s not a very good blocker,” a fourth scout said. “If he was a better blocker you could live with that (4.77). He’s a tough kid but the blocking and block effort and the strength just aren’t there. His route-running skills are really marginal at this point. In fact, I think they’re poor for a kid coming out of Notre Dame and that level of a program.” From Independence, Ky.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
She knows Robinson is not making it to 26. She put his name at 1 for clicks. I will give her credit for saying 3 first round graded players. Cavanaugh makes a good point about Mayers athleticism but I still would bet he would be a 100 catch guy for us.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Clearly we have different viewpoints about the player, I feel despite his testing he is an excellent prospect at the position
I bet the Cowboys have Washington rated over Mayer on their board. Cavanaugh made a good point about the RAS score. Mayer is barely better then Shultz. Washington is one of type tight ends in the history of the RAS.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I hear ya but Witten was bigger, faster and longer. It’s just a bad comp IMO.

Do agree he’s a quality prospect just not on Wits level.

gtb1943

Reaction score
from mcginns anonymous scout article:

1. MICHAEL MAYER, Notre Dame (6-4 ½, 252, no 40, 1-2): Third-year junior left South Bend with 180 receptions, third on the school’s all-time list. “He’s everything you want off the field,” said one scout. “Typical Notre Dame guy. Arm length (31 5/8) is a little shorter than you want. He’s strong and powerful in run and pass. Good hands. Uses his body well to separate. Smart with the ball in his hands to get good RAC. Consistent player. Can compete for a starting job right out of the gate. I’d take him in the back half of the first.” Comes from a family filled with outstanding athletes. “He’s probably the best,” said a second scout. “He’s the most complete. Good route runner. Functional blocker. Very good (catching) in contested situations. Has good enough speed. I don’t think he’s a vertical threat down the seam. I don’t know if he’ll be a Pro Bowler but solid across the board.” Several scouts said he was a better prospect than Cole Kmet, another ex-Irish TE who went to the Bears in the second round in 2020. “I go with him No. 1 just because of his background,” said a third scout. “He’s a very solid short receiver. What did guys like Travis Kelce (4.63) and George Kittle (4.55) run? One thing he has, he knows how to position his body. He gets open by doing that. Now vertically, he is not going to help you at all. He makes a block effort, but is inconsistent.” Finished with those 180 catches for 2,099 (11.7) and 18 TDs. Scored 23 on the Wonderlic. “I thought he would be a conventional type tight end but he’s not a very good blocker,” a fourth scout said. “If he was a better blocker you could live with that (4.77). He’s a tough kid but the blocking and block effort and the strength just aren’t there. His route-running skills are really marginal at this point. In fact, I think they’re poor for a kid coming out of Notre Dame and that level of a program.” From Independence, Ky.
Don't know what player this guy was watching but Mayer is - By every other scouting report- better at blocking and route running this so called expert claims

gtb1943

Reaction score

I loved Witten. Will cheer like crazy the day he makes the HOF (which is inevitable)

But he played smaller and slower than his stats showed.

Mayer is the opposite.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
She knows Robinson is not making it to 26
TBH......it's starting to look like it could happen. We just learned he's only had 2 official visits, one with the Eagles and all indications, there's no way they are taking him at 10. Of course, they could very easily trade down into the teens and still take him but that's unlikely. The next stop could be the Titans, Bucs or Chargers.

Something else to consider, it's not a reach to think a few teams may actually prefer Gibbs over Bijan.

rambo2

Reaction score
LOL, let’s trade away prime picks to chase a TB.

Elliott was a top five player in his draft. How did his drafting change the trajectory or the franchise?

Hint. It didn’t.
They went 13 and 3 with a rookie qb who was third string when camp opened. If they get Robinson, they very well could win the championship.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
TBH......it's starting to look like it could happen. We just learned he's only had 2 official visits, one with the Eagles and all indications, there's no way they are taking him at 10. Of course, they could very easily trade down into the teens and still take him but that's unlikely. The next stop could be the Titans, Bucs or Chargers.

Something else to consider, it's not a reach to think a few teams may actually prefer Gibbs over Bijan.
Listen, we should pick him if he there at 26 but I just see to many land mines before 26.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Don't know what player this guy was watching but Mayer is - By every other scouting report- better at blocking and route running this so called expert claims
one called him functional and one said hes not a very good blocker. obviously scouts are wrong all the time, just figured id post. its interesting to know what some nfl scouts are thinking.

and lets not pretend hes some type of mauler. as for the route tree, he sure runs a bunch of drags. like a bunch.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

No, not on Witten’s level who will be a hall of gamer. Mayer is certainly more like an old schooled type of TE, compared to the modern ones we see in today’s game. If they truly want to become balanced and help kickstart their run game, Mayer is a good fit.