Jane Slater's Top 3 Draft Picks to watch

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is the most likely scenario. I don't love ending up with Mayer at 26. I know he's solid. But he just looks sooo slow
Why does his highlight reel remind me of Witten at the end when he couldn’t run?

Im much more excited about what a player with Washington’s size and measurables can eventually become.

I’m beginning to think it’s moot and Washington is gone before 26, and before Mayer.

reddyuta

Reaction score
from mcginns anonymous scout article:

1. MICHAEL MAYER, Notre Dame (6-4 ½, 252, no 40, 1-2): Third-year junior left South Bend with 180 receptions, third on the school’s all-time list. “He’s everything you want off the field,” said one scout. “Typical Notre Dame guy. Arm length (31 5/8) is a little shorter than you want. He’s strong and powerful in run and pass. Good hands. Uses his body well to separate. Smart with the ball in his hands to get good RAC. Consistent player. Can compete for a starting job right out of the gate. I’d take him in the back half of the first.” Comes from a family filled with outstanding athletes. “He’s probably the best,” said a second scout. “He’s the most complete. Good route runner. Functional blocker. Very good (catching) in contested situations. Has good enough speed. I don’t think he’s a vertical threat down the seam. I don’t know if he’ll be a Pro Bowler but solid across the board.” Several scouts said he was a better prospect than Cole Kmet, another ex-Irish TE who went to the Bears in the second round in 2020. “I go with him No. 1 just because of his background,” said a third scout. “He’s a very solid short receiver. What did guys like Travis Kelce (4.63) and George Kittle (4.55) run? One thing he has, he knows how to position his body. He gets open by doing that. Now vertically, he is not going to help you at all. He makes a block effort, but is inconsistent.” Finished with those 180 catches for 2,099 (11.7) and 18 TDs. Scored 23 on the Wonderlic. “I thought he would be a conventional type tight end but he’s not a very good blocker,” a fourth scout said. “If he was a better blocker you could live with that (4.77). He’s a tough kid but the blocking and block effort and the strength just aren’t there. His route-running skills are really marginal at this point. In fact, I think they’re poor for a kid coming out of Notre Dame and that level of a program.” From Independence, Ky.

just i like said somebody you take in rd 2 or 3.I am sure we can do better at 26 like Forbes or Mcdonald.

rambo2

Reaction score
They got bounced from the playoffs early. Just like the 2014 team that won 12 games with a third round TB.

In all his time here, the Cowboys with Elliott never did any better than the Cowboys teams before him.
What will happen if the Cowboys get Robinson? They should be very good.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Really? That sucks.
You knew that was coming, all it means is that others slip a bit.
Dont get all tied up with who the Cowboys select at 26, even if we are still sitting there.
This draft is deep, a trade back with the right partner wouldnt upset me if we still come away with one of our top 3 targets.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Clearly we have different viewpoints about the player, I feel despite his testing he is an excellent prospect at the position
I’m not a fan of any TE at 26 but I still agree with you that Mayer is a strong prospect, as is Kincaid, Washington, & Musgrave. Doesn’t make me any more right…it’s just my opinion. Fans usually prefer the shiny penny but they all could justify R1-R2 in the right situation.

And it shouldn’t surprise anyone that scouts opinions vary and it certainly doesn’t prove someone is right or wrong. You could get 10 scouts in a room and they couldn’t agree on what to have for lunch.

There is so much wasted energy on this site trying to convince others that opinions are right or wrong when none of it matters. It usually just ends up in an argument, ultimately getting personal, with others picking the side that matches their opinion.

I applaud you and @cnuball21 for keeping it cordial and taking the high road. Usually by page 5 we are in a full-on war of insults.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't love Washington either. Basically the flipside of Mayer as a prospect. Low production, high potential.

That said, if part of the appeal of Mayer is that he helps the run game, then Washington should absolutely be in the running.
Washington didn't "move" the sleds at the combine, it was as if they weren't there. I'm not sure where it is appropriate to draft him but I will take a chance on him becoming a weapon downfield when his blocking is already probably the best at the position. I don't see why drafting solid in both areas is better than excellent in one area and has the tools be to be really good in the other.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Stephen Jones said the other day on the fan that they liked the old school Y tight ends but that you dont see that in college very much anymore.

Mayer is probably the closest thing in this draft to a traditional Y tight end so it would not be surprising if that is the pick at 26.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Would love two of those picks ....... Really do not understand wasting a first round pick on a TE to replace a jag like Schultz though.

Gaede

Reaction score
Why does his highlight reel remind me of Witten at the end when he couldn’t run?

Im much more excited about what a player with Washington’s size and measurables can eventually become.

I’m beginning to think it’s moot and Washington is gone before 26, and before Mayer.
That's what it looks like! Maybe his speed is deceiving in real life (big guy look slow, but big guy make up space quick), but I don't know. Even Witten could run in the early days. He didn't look like this.

I'm warming up to Washington. But I'd rather not draft a TE in 1 at all

Gaede

Reaction score
Washington didn't "move" the sleds at the combine, it was as if they weren't there. I'm not sure where it is appropriate to draft him but I will take a chance on him becoming a weapon downfield when his blocking is already probably the best at the position. I don't see why drafting solid in both areas is better than excellent in one area and has the tools be to be really good in the other.
He does give you the extremely rare ability to basically be a 3 OT on the field at all times who can actually run and catch passes.

JBS

Reaction score
The 2014 team won 12 games with a third round TB and won a playoff game and then got bounced.

That high water mark was never eclipsed with Elliott as the TB. Fact is as good as Elliott was at times, TBs aren’t really needle movers or franchise altering players.
You aren’t getting a bigger impact player than Bijan

reddyuta

Reaction score
IMo the FO learned their lesson in not paying RB the big bucks.they are not going to compound that by drafting a RB in the 1st RD again and definitely wont be trading up for one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Due to the poor receiver class, these TE’s are definitely getting pushed up. In my opinion, outside of Pitts, he is as good as some other TE’s recently drafted in the 1st rd, think he is as good as Hock from the Vikings and Engram
Hock was a more explosive athlete though so I don’t think he’s as high as a prospect coming out.

The closest athletic comp is Hayden Hurst who can give you 50+ catches and 600 ish yards. Mayer is a little more polished coming out but I think that’s the closest comp for him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hock was a more explosive athlete though so I don’t think he’s as high as a prospect coming out.

The closest athletic comp is Hayden Hurst who can give you 50+ catches and 600 ish yards. Mayer is a little more polished coming out but I think that’s the closest comp for him.
Shultz had a 800 yard season with Amari, Lamb and Gallup, think Mayer can put those numbers up easily.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Shultz had a 800 yard season with Amari, Lamb and Gallup, think Mayer can put those numbers up easily.
Maybe, but he was a 4th rounder.

When looking at all the top receiving TEs in the league almost all of their RAS scores for athleticism is 9+. Mayer is in the 7s. To me we’re drafting a low value position and taking an athletic outlier hoping he can be one of the best TEs in football.

Why not just draft a TE later that actually meets the athleticism threshold most of the best TEs in football have and develop him like we did Schultz?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Maybe, but he was a 4th rounder.

When looking at all the top receiving TEs in the league almost all of their RAS scores for athleticism is 9+. Mayer is in the 7s. To me we’re drafting a low value position and taking an athletic outlier hoping he can be one of the best TEs in football.

Why not just draft a TE later that actually meets the athleticism threshold most of the best TEs in football have and develop him like we did Schultz?
Mayer to me is just a good football player. He is going to be able to help the run game, replace Shultz with a better receiver and yac abilities. I understand his average testing, but sometimes these types are more successful then the great athletes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He does give you the extremely rare ability to basically be a 3 OT on the field at all times who can actually run and catch passes.
Exactly. Obviously you want him to be better than average as a receiver but just average still really stresses the defense because they don't know if he's going to block or use his size to convert on third down \ redzone.

Having him flank either T should basically eliminate the games best pass rushers.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Mayer to me is just a good football player. He is going to be able to help the run game, replace Shultz with a better receiver and yac abilities. I understand his average testing, but sometimes these types are more successful then the great athletes.
Agree 100%. I think he’ll be a rock solid pro and have a long career in the league as a starter. High floor.

I’m just not going to gamble on a mediocre athlete to be elite at a low value position when I feel confident I can either develop Fergy into what Schultz was and / or get a better athlete 2 rounds later to develop.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Exactly. Obviously you want him to be better than average as a receiver but just average still really stresses the defense because they don't know if he's going to block or use his size to convert on third down \ redzone.

Having him flank either T should basically eliminate the games best pass rushers.
I think we’re going to be surprised at the TEs available in the 2nd.

I honestly think Washington or Musgrave could be there.