Jason Garrett cost us this game (and you can put that in 3" headlines)

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Once again, Jason Garrett got outsmarted - or he outsmarted himself - in the 4th quarter, where he played right into Pitt's defense's hands. They decided to finally take away the middle draw and the peripheral underneath stuff and that's all Garrett seemed to want to call. It's as if they knew he would stay stubborn and not play it more aggressively to his wide-outs downfield. So Pit left the wide-outs uncovered, and Garrett, once again, made sure to not make them part of the 4th quarter offense. What's alarming is that it was done in the same fashion as in games against Arizona and Washington. It's a clear indication he is not learning from his past transgressions as an offensive coordinator --- and I do mean OFFENSIVE; I mean, how many games is this schmuck going to just GIVE AWAY?!?! :bang2:

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
im not real fond of the play calls today either but...players play and coaches coach..........the players were not executing

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
dadymat;2472531 said:
im not real fond of the play calls today either but...players play and coaches coach..........the players were not executing

you can go back and forth on this issue...

players not being put in positions to succeed etc

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
xWraithx;2472534 said:
you can go back and forth on this issue...

players not being put in positions to succeed etc

EXACTLY! We can't ignore the fact that Garrett is leaving a pattern of failure behind, of relying so heavily on his "philosophy" over his talented players' abilities, that defensive coordinators are seeing this and using it ot outsmart/OUTCOACH him. It happened against Washington; it hapened against Arizona, an it hapened last night; all in the same eerie way.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Play calling was terrible, just terrible.

I think Garrett can forget about being HC next year if Wade is fired, that dog wont hunt now.

Garrett is not ready to be a HC.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I do not think Garret is the wiz that some believe, he is not using TO, ROY or Crayton at all properly.

Choice we very good but we never challenged their defense deep with our firepower and then moved into a shell in the fourth quarter.

On a day we needed to pass, Romo locked on to Witten almost automatically as a security blanket without looking at the other options or possibilities.

Sometimes that is appropriate but not on almost every snap.

The confusion is embarrassing on both sides of the ball but routes and timing were off all day!!:eek:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
ROYDESTROY;2472552 said:
I do not think Garret is the wiz that some believe, he is not using TO, ROY or Crayton at all properly.

That Jason Garrett doesn't know what he's doing became evident when Romo went down and Brad Johnson took over the offense. Yes Johnson was bad, but come on, that bad? No way! It's the offensive play calling that is THAT BAD and PREDICTABLE. Defensive coaches consistently bait Garrett into being OUTCOACHED! Romo is so good he often saves Garrett from himself. But Romo, nor any QB, is that good to save a bad offenive coordinator, which is what Garrett is. Brad Johnson was just average enough to not bail out Garrett, and instead exposed his coaching limitations.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
i think the reason why we was so good on offense last year was because the offensive line/offensive assistance oc that is now the head coach of the dolphins had more to do with the offense then we think. Now we seem too predictable. Just ask T.O...

utrunner07

Reaction score
I don't think its as much Jason's fault as most but if he leaves or is asked to leave this off season I don't think its too much of a loss.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Garrett is overrated. The problem is I don't know how he got overrated since he hasn't really accomplished anything.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I was amazed at how unorganized the entire offense looked with 10 days to prepare. Romo constantly having to position players because they don't know where to line up. Delay of games. Having to rush the snaps because they're late getting the play in. Players running the wrong routes. Yes, I understand Pittsburgh is a dominant defense and the conditions were awful. Being stymied I can understand, but it was the Keystone Cops routine that inexcusable.

When TO went to the sidelines screaming and crying in the first half I turned to my buddy and said "Watch, they're going to force the ball to him the first play of the next drive whether he's open or not". Guess what happened? Easy pick from Romo forcing it to a covered TO. Oh, and the lining up TO as a tailback and running the sweep to him on 3rd and short needs to be taken out of the playbook. Immediately. He hasn't made a defender miss all year running after the catch.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The early third and two where we pitched it to TO at tailback and then handed it off to Anderson for a turnover on downs sticks in my craw. Seemed like classic Garrett overthinking.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I guess it's because he's a former QB and hated it, but what exactly does Garrett have against the QB sneak on 4th and an inch? You have the advantage of knowing the snap count and over 700 lbs. of Gurode/Bigg beef in front of Romo, use it. Don't even let Harrison, the league's probable Defensive MVP, factor into the play.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2473273 said:
The early third and two where we pitched it to TO at tailback and then handed it off to Anderson for a turnover on downs sticks in my craw. Seemed like classic Garrett overthinking.

If Anderson follows Bigg and Columbo he gets the first down easily.

But instead he runs left right into a Steeler laying on the ground.

I say give it to a RB, not a seldom used FB.

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
He, along with our All-Pro QB lost that game. His play calling is terrible can Wade take over the offense to. :banghead:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2473285 said:
I guess it's because he's a former QB, but what exactly does Garrett have against the QB sneak on 4th and an inch? You have the advantage of knowing the snap count and over 700 lbs. of Gurode/Bigg beef in front of Romo, use it. Don't even let Harrison, the league's probable Defensive MVP, factor into the play.

WV Cowboy;2473299 said:
If Anderson follows Bigg and Columbo he gets the first down easily.

But instead he runs left right into a Steeler laying on the ground.

I say give it to a RB, not a seldom used FB.

Agree with both. We blocked that more than good enough to get three feet, as we usually will with Bigg and Gurode in the middle. Personally, I would sneak it every time, but if not, please hand it off to a real running back.

zeromaster

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2473285 said:
I guess it's because he's a former QB and hated it, but what exactly does Garrett have against the QB sneak on 4th and an inch? You have the advantage of knowing the snap count and over 700 lbs. of Gurode/Bigg beef in front of Romo, use it. Don't even let Harrison, the league's probable Defensive MVP, factor into the play.
Cosigned...

31smackdown

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but challenging them deep with 20+ MPH winds is not usually a good strategy.. sure Rothlisberger completed one where Newman slipped, but Tony's ball was sailing all day.

The truth of the matter is they needed Witten to dominate underneath and use Choice on dump offs and get RAC yards. More slants or drags to TO could have helped. Neither team could move the ball into the wind. Normally you would hope that you could pound the ball for some long run drives, but Pitt's defense is no slouch and Holland going out really showed how poor Proctor is. Eventually you have to use the short pass game and for some reason they just were not organized or on the same page. Witten and Romo have been super consistant all year and they had at least two mix ups yesterday which cost them.

Bottom line, when they had the wind, they needed to score. The Battle punt turnover, cost them at least 3 points. You knew it was only a matter of time with the wind being what it was. It was just a matter of giving up field goals or touchdowns.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
jblaze2004;2473233 said:
i think the reason why we was so good on offense last year was because the offensive line/offensive assistance oc that is now the head coach of the dolphins had more to do with the offense then we think. Now we seem too predictable. Just ask T.O...

That and our schedule was weaksauce last year save for the game against New England, the game against Green Bay, and the NFC East games. Other than that, the rest of our games were cakewalks/blowouts.

The straw that broke the camel's back yesterday: Tashard Choice, 157 all purpose yards thru 3 quarters. Final statline = 166 all purpose yards. I rest my case.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
31smackdown;2473460 said:
The truth of the matter is they needed Witten to dominate underneath and use Choice on dump offs and get RAC yards. More slants or drags to TO could have helped.

No, the truth of the matter is that Pitt's defensive coordinator studied Garret's conservative tendencies in previous games where the score was close and saw that Gareet would key Witten underneath and the peripheral plays to Choice, both strasight handoffs and toss-outs. Pitt's Defense adjusted to take that away and did so at the expense of leaving the WRs uncovered. Did Garrett see this and adjust his game to exploit what Pitt was giving him? No! Instead, he stuck to his tendencies and shoved his head in the Lion's mouth. GarretT simply got outschemed, outsmarted and OUTCOACHED....AAGGAAIINN (and AAGGAAIINN and AAGGAAIINN)! :banghead: