Jason Garrett cost us this game (and you can put that in 3" headlines)

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
31smackdown;2473460 said:
The truth of the matter is they needed Witten to dominate underneath and use Choice on dump offs and get RAC yards. More slants or drags to TO could have helped.

No, the truth of the matter is that Pitt's defensive coordinator studied Garret's conservative tendencies in previous games where the score was close and saw that Gareet would key Witten underneath and the peripheral plays to Choice, both strasight handoffs and toss-outs. Pitt's Defense adjusted to take that away and did so at the expense of leaving the WRs uncovered. Did Garrett see this and adjust his game to exploit what Pitt was giving him? No! Instead, he stuck to his tendencies and shoved his head in the Lion's mouth.

Garret simply got outschemed, outsmarted and OUTCOACHED! :banghead:

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
This was the first thing my dad text me after the game... "Garretts got to Go!"

landryscorner

Reaction score
I think garrett needs to coach college football for some years, to season him up, if he's not Cordinator of Dallas next year I won't lose any sleep on that, and if Wade is gone I'll be that much happier...we need a coach that can put a fire in our boys A## I say bring in Bill Cowher, atleast he motivates his players and doen't defend them all the time like softee wade does, I'm done with this dude....

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2473735 said:
This was the first thing my dad text me after the game... "Garretts got to Go!"

Right, "go to the pressbox", where he can see what the defense is doing, what they are giving and what they are taking away.

It is hard to see as well from the sidelines.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2473832 said:
Right, "go to the pressbox", where he can see what the defense is doing, what they are giving and what they are taking away.

It is hard to see as well from the sidelines.

Like sitting in the pressbox is going to make Garrett realize that pitches to TO and FB dives are awful ideas.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2473299 said:
If Anderson follows Bigg and Columbo he gets the first down easily.

But instead he runs left right into a Steeler laying on the ground.

I say give it to a RB, not a seldom used FB.

Kind of a forgotten play.

http://img185.*************/img185/8201/ch21sundec72008041343pmll6.jpg

MrMom

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2473273 said:
The early third and two where we pitched it to TO at tailback and then handed it off to Anderson for a turnover on downs sticks in my craw. Seemed like classic Garrett overthinking.

That was an amazing series of play calling. Pitch it to Owens and then a quick hitting run with Deon flipping Anderson? Geeze.

Then later on in the second quarter we have another 3rd and 2 in two down territory and what does Garrett dial up? Two pass plays from the shotgun formation. Turnover on downs.

Not one run from Choice in those short yardage situations.

**** playcalling.

Nexx

Reaction score
i hated the calls but i could see why he was calling what he was calling. romo was off as most of you could see, i wouldnt have any confidence in romo completing a first down pass.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2473841 said:
Like sitting in the pressbox is going to make Garrett realize that pitches to TO and FB dives are awful ideas.

No, the pitch to TO is never a good idea. If the FB has some vision it is not a bad idea.

But sitting up above can give the coach the overhead "big picture" of how the defense is lining up, adjusting, strong side, weak side, whatever, etc.

I see a lot OC & DC sit up in the pressbox.
That's what headphones are for.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
How many times are idiots like you going to try and pin the blame on one person.

Players have to execute. We didnt do that.

Every facet of our team failed us yesterday. To point the blame at just Garrett is ridiculous.

*edit* btw, read this link, and shut up. Its fans like you who ***** and complain when in reality they know nothing of what really went on. Garretts play calling wasnt the problem. It was execution.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2473981 said:
How many times are idiots like you going to try and pin the blame on one person.

Players have to execute. We didnt do that.

Every facet of our team failed us yesterday. To point the blame at just Garrett is ridiculous.

*edit* btw, read this link, and shut up. Its fans like you who ***** and complain when in reality they know nothing of what really went on. Garretts play calling wasnt the problem. It was execution.

I agree. There was nothing wrong with the plan but the execution was poor. We had 5 turnovers in the game that had nothing to do with the plays only the execution of the plays.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The lack of execution is undeniable. What is also undeniable is that the offense was completely disorganized. Players not knowing where to line up. Running the wrong routes. Delay of games. Time outs wasted to avoid delay of games. Hurried snaps to avoid delay of games. Just absolute chaos before the snap. This wasn't just a time or two, it was throughout the entire game. I'm not even sure Romo had time to make his presnap reads because the team typically wouldn't break the huddle until there were 10 seconds left on the play clock, and then he had to get everyone properly aligned until the last second because someone had invariably lined up in the wrong spot. Garrett had 10 days to get his unit prepared, and instead it was a cluster-f of the highest order. If he's making it so complicated that it takes 85% of the playclock to just get the play in, maybe it's time to tear some pages out of the playbook. The halfback sweep to TO is a good place to start.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2474232 said:
The lack of execution is undeniable. What is also undeniable is that the offense was completely disorganized. Players not knowing where to line up. Running the wrong routes. Delay of games. Time outs wasted to avoid delay of games. Hurried snaps to avoid delay of games. Just absolute chaos before the snap. This wasn't just a time or two, it was throughout the entire game. I'm not even sure Romo had time to make his presnap reads because the team typically wouldn't break the huddle until there were 10 seconds left on the play clock, and then he had to get everyone properly aligned until the last second because someone had invariably lined up in the wrong spot. Garrett had 10 days to get his unit prepared, and instead it was a cluster-f of the highest order. If he's making it so complicated that it takes 85% of the playclock to just get the play in, maybe it's time to tear some pages out of the playbook. The halfback sweep to TO is a good place to start.

Maybe instead of giving the team days off, they should use that extra time to prepare for one of the best teams in the league. Just a thought for good ol Wade.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2472530 said:
Once again, Jason Garrett got outsmarted - or he outsmarted himself - in the 4th quarter, where he played right into Pitt's defense's hands. They decided to finally take away the middle draw and the peripheral underneath stuff and that's all Garrett seemed to want to call. It's as if they knew he would stay stubborn and not play it more aggressively to his wide-outs downfield. So Pit left the wide-outs uncovered, and Garrett, once again, made sure to not make them part of the 4th quarter offense. What's alarming is that it was done in the same fashion as in games against Arizona and Washington. It's a clear indication he is not learning from his past transgressions as an offensive coordinator --- and I do mean OFFENSIVE; I mean, how many games is this schmuck going to just GIVE AWAY?!?! :bang2:

I'm still puzzled over handing the ball to Anderson on 4th & inches rather than have Romo QB sneak it, which is 99% successful in situations like that.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2474317 said:
I'm still puzzled over handing the ball to Anderson on 4th & inches rather than have Romo QB sneak it, which is 99% successful in situations like that.

Maybe the fact that Romo is still coming off a broken pinky, and doing a QB sneak puts him at high risk of a defender trying to break it again in the pile.

Like I said...Garrett wasnt the problem. It was execution. If our guys up front blocked better, then we get the first down. Failing to get inches in the trenches is just lack of execution.

RedRaiderCowboysFan

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2473263 said:
Garrett is overrated. The problem is I don't know how he got overrated since he hasn't really accomplished anything.

Thats the question,most logical, objective people would ask about romo who arent blinded into believing romo is something he isnt.

And Garrett wasnt the one out there throwing interceptions and fumbling yesterday either. With the logic that is used on here that it is Garretts fault then, he should get all the credit last year for romos statistics and the offense having a great statistical year. Cant have it both ways saying romo deserves all the credit and Garrett deserves all the blame.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Even I knew the 1st down short run - second down short pass - third and long............
We also stopped attacking on both sides of the ball.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2474331 said:
Maybe the fact that Romo is still coming off a broken pinky, and doing a QB sneak puts him at high risk of a defender trying to break it again in the pile.

Like I said...Garrett wasnt the problem. It was execution. If our guys up front blocked better, then we get the first down. Failing to get inches in the trenches is just lack of execution.

But it was blocked plenty good on the right side. Our blocking fullback just didn't run it there.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2474360 said:
But it was blocked plenty good on the right side. Our blocking fullback just didn't run it there.

I stand corrected then. I missed part of the first half since I had to cover a basketball game for my job. Thats sad to hear we had it blocked and he just didnt hit the hole.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2474304 said:
Maybe instead of giving the team days off, they should use that extra time to prepare for one of the best teams in the league. Just a thought for good ol Wade.

Even with the days off, Garrett still had ample time, more time than LeBeau had, to get his unit prepared with the extra days. Bottomline ... Garrett did not have his unit prepared for the game. They were sloppy, confused and disorganized from the first snap to the last snap. Garrett couldn't even get the play in on time for most of the game. That's inexcusable on the high school level.

Wade and Romo are taking plenty of heat today in Dallas. They're the ones getting all the headlines and all the editorial articles written about them this morning, while Jason Garrett (once again) skates free under the radar. I mean really, does Jason Garrett have responsibility for anything? He hand picks Brad Johnson as his backup QB, and people give him a free pass because he's having to work with Brad Johnson when Romo gets hurt. It's unbelievable. Why are we paying an offensive coordinator with no real job responsibilities or accountability $3 million dollars a year?